Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt O'Connor sacked

Default Matt O'Connor sacked

Good news for us Leinster guys

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2015/0...d-by-leinster/

Who do you think will be the new coach??
    Good bye Ireland!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stella For This Useful Post:

dr love (21-05-15), Klittyliker (21-05-15), rincewind (21-05-15), The D Man (21-05-15), willie wacker (22-05-15)

Gregor Townshend on the horizon - but it seems theyll scout down South as they have for last few - but then O'Connor didint work out

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fideldarcy For This Useful Post:

Stella (21-05-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    Good news for us Leinster guys

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2015/0...d-by-leinster/

Who do you think will be the new coach??

Dam I was hoping he would be there for next season as well continuing his one man destruction of Leinster

Seriously as I said in the Pro 12 thread there was a clash of cultures between him and Leinster. It was going to end in disaster.

Possible replacements could be Bernard Jackman if looking for a home town replacement. Has done a good job at Grenoble fighting hard against alot of super powers.

Ewen Mc Kenzie former Wallabie coach and not working currently so no contract negotiations or pay offs. Has good trackm record in super rugby. Likes attacking rugby which would suit Leinster's style and culture.

Jono Gibbes currently at Clermont. Previously at Leinster for a long time. Would have knowledge of set up already.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The D Man For This Useful Post:

Stella (21-05-15)

or philippe st andre - he will be available pretty soon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fideldarcy For This Useful Post:

Stella (21-05-15)

conor o shea
    "The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation" - Henry David Thoreau.

Reviews

So Matt O'Connor and Leinster have parted company after two years. I can't say I didn't see this coming but it's still surprising.

This season has been very disappointing but you can't really lay all the blame at O'Connors door. A terrible run of injuries (Healy, O'Brien etc.) coupled with the lack of availability of senior players due to the Player Welfare Program really tied his hands at crucial points in the season. He has also lost key players to retirement (O'Driscoll/ Cullen) and Leo Cullen is only in his first year as a forwards coach.

Having said all that the brand of Rugby Leinster have been playing this season is terrible. We're a long way from the attacking play we saw during the Schmidt era and I think this is the reason why he has been let go. The management of Leinster know what type of Rugby the fans are coming to see and with a massive redevelopment of the RDS Stadium taking place over the next few seasons they cannot afford for attendances to dwindle due to lack of interest (Official attendance at last home game was 11,000 but having attended the match I'd say it was a lot lower than that).

Who should they appoint next? I think they need someone to drive standards on again as Cheika and Schmidt did during their terms. A manager who demands high standards and isn't afraid to tackle the big players when they don't meet them. Maybe Ewen McKenzie could be a good candidate but who ever they pick Leinster can't afford to get it wrong.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Klittyliker For This Useful Post:

dr love (21-05-15), Stella (22-05-15), The D Man (22-05-15)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Leinster on slippy slope downwards!
    Seek and you shall find!

Quote Originally Posted by Klittyliker View Post
    So Matt O'Connor and Leinster have parted company after two years. I can't say I didn't see this coming but it's still surprising.

This season has been very disappointing but you can't really lay all the blame at O'Connors door. A terrible run of injuries (Healy, O'Brien etc.) coupled with the lack of availability of senior players due to the Player Welfare Program really tied his hands at crucial points in the season. He has also lost key players to retirement (O'Driscoll/ Cullen) and Leo Cullen is only in his first year as a forwards coach.

Having said all that the brand of Rugby Leinster have been playing this season is terrible. We're a long way from the attacking play we saw during the Schmidt era and I think this is the reason why he has been let go. The management of Leinster know what type of Rugby the fans are coming to see and with a massive redevelopment of the RDS Stadium taking place over the next few seasons they cannot afford for attendances to dwindle due to lack of interest (Official attendance at last home game was 11,000 but having attended the match I'd say it was a lot lower than that).

Who should they appoint next? I think they need someone to drive standards on again as Cheika and Schmidt did during their terms. A manager who demands high standards and isn't afraid to tackle the big players when they don't meet them. Maybe Ewen McKenzie could be a good candidate but who ever they pick Leinster can't afford to get it wrong.
    Well said!

I've one more question, so would you think the pretty bad season is rather on him /bad luck, injuries...etc./ or the players as well??

He seemd to always blame the circumstances than sort of blame himself, also criticized IRFU player welfare scheme quite a lot.

I'd say with a new coach in it'll take two seasons for Leinster to be back on track, obviously hope I'm wrong...
    Good bye Ireland!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stella For This Useful Post:

Klittyliker (22-05-15), The D Man (22-05-15)

Reviews

Well said!

I've one more question, so would you think the pretty bad season is rather on him /bad luck, injuries...etc./ or the players as well??

He seemd to always blame the circumstances than sort of blame himself, also criticized IRFU player welfare scheme quite a lot.

I'd say with a new coach in it'll take two seasons for Leinster to be back on track, obviously hope I'm wrong...
    Once he criticized the IRFU for his problems then he was a dead man walking.
    Anyway all the previous coaches had the same problems as him and they did not complain or whinge.
    It,s the coaches job to make the best out of a bad situation. It did not help that he took over from one of the most successful coaches but he knew that before he took the job.
    Still he had the biggest player pool !!!

" WE ARE CONNACHT "

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to willie wacker For This Useful Post:

Klittyliker (22-05-15), Stella (22-05-15), The D Man (22-05-15)

Reviews

Well said!

The injuries to key players certainly didn't help but my main problem is the serious slip in performance.standards while he was coach. No way Schmidt would ever tolerate the amount of missed tackles we've seen lately. Heads would have rolled!! Yes the players have to take some of the blame but I just don't think his style of Rugby suited Leinster.

Hopefully it won't take two years to get back to the type of play we're looking for, but the money in the French and English game now makes future European trophies less likely.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klittyliker For This Useful Post:

Stella (22-05-15), The D Man (22-05-15)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast