Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nearly there

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pigsmickey View Post
    Does EIFII have Irish citizenship? and regestered?
    If not, then no entitlement to vote in the republic, but might have a valueable contribution to make to the debate. Sometimes, people looking in from the outside can see more clearly.
    No and yes. After 9 years residency in the Republic and the right to vote in Dail elections it is discriminatory to deny me a vote in the referenda.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Anitafan View Post
    If we are so worried about equality, why is EIFII not allowed to vote?!
    UK citizens can vote in all elections here , (local, Dail and European) but not referenda/dums. -although I'm not sure about presidential elections.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    UK citizens can vote in all elections here , (local, Dail and European) but not referenda/dums. -although I'm not sure about presidential elections.
    Not presidential elections either. I guess as Brits don't get to vote for the Queen, it would be unfair to vote for the president. Though I do think there should be some kind of residency rule regarding voting in referenda. Such as you can vote if you have lived in Ireland for 5 years. Then I could vote on whether a 21 year old could be a presidential candidate, but then be denied the chance to actually vote for such a candidate

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EIFII For This Useful Post:

nonpareil (19-05-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post
    No and yes. After 9 years residency in the Republic and the right to vote in Dail elections it is discriminatory to deny me a vote in the referenda.
    You' ll have to leave the Lion and the Unicorn and get a harp on your passport.
    Does the UK allow dual citizenship ?
    Citizens of Northern Ireland can have dual UK and Republic of Ireland citizenship , I believe.And as a parting comment the Republic of Ireland does not allow its citizens resident abroad to vote in elections here (unlike what pertains in many other countries).

Reviews

Not presidential elections either. I guess as Brits don't get to vote for the Queen, it would be unfair to vote for the president. Though I do think there should be some kind of residency rule regarding voting in referenda. Such as you can vote if you have lived in Ireland for 5 years. Then I could vote on whether a 21 year old could be a presidential candidate, but then be denied the chance to actually vote for such a candidate
    Many Irish people with the right to vote should be as exercised to actually vote as you appear to be.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nonpareil For This Useful Post:

EIFII (19-05-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    Many Irish people with the right to vote should be as exercised to actually vote as you appear to be.
    I believe voting is more than a democratic right. It is a responsibility hard won by previous generations and should not be taken lightly.

My UK passport is up for renewal next year so I will be listening to the arguments for and against replacing it with an Irish one...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EIFII For This Useful Post:

nonpareil (19-05-15)

Reviews

I believe voting is more than a democratic right. It is a responsibility hard won by previous generations and should not be taken lightly.

My UK passport is up for renewal next year so I will be listening to the arguments for and against replacing it with an Irish one...
    Slightly of thread, but I know of a lot of people who have both Irish and British passports.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SweetStrawberry View Post
    Look, if this is your problem, then campaign against surrogacy and, if needs be, adoption laws.

Queer families already exist, and they will exist no matter the outcome of said vote. Actual children's advocacy groups are in overwhelming support of a yes vote. As it stands, a yes vote strengthens these families and gives the children legal ties and protection to their caregivers. A no vote leaves the children of same-sex couples worse off.
    Agree with this. The vote is nothing to do with parents or kids. Its about same sex marriages. The no side have made this the ultimate straw man.

Default vote yes

I am going to vote Yes , mainly I think if 2 people want to get married they hould be allowed to do so

13. The Following User Says Thank You to major walker For This Useful Post:

pigsmickey (21-05-15)

14. Default

Lovely words Bianka
    This vote is about allowing people who love each other committing to each other. It should not matter whether you are same sex, or transgender or heterosexual. Those people who believe only people who can love each other are a man and a woman are bigoted and narrow minded because they believe they are morally right. You cannot change their beliefs. Often their beliefs are changed when one of their own family happen to come out as gay and they see the light. Dick Chaney is a prime example when is daughter came out as gay. His whole opinion changed.
    This part of the forum is about people who are attracted to transgender people. This is about sexual attraction. A relationship which is based purely on sexual attraction is doomed to failure. I'm delighted Bianka you have found the love of your life. People who seek love here are usually more infatuated, love takes time to grow.
    I would warn people if they believe everybody should have the right to marry, they need to vote. Just because it may look like the vote may pass means people may feel their vote doesn't matter. Every vote counts. Look what happened here in the UK. People were embarrassed to say they would vote Tory and just said they were unsure or say they may support some other party. The same thing could happen in this vote. People may be embarrassed to say they would vote NO.
    Remember people died for the right to vote . If you believe if people who love each other should be allowed to marry. Then you need to vote yes.
    If I had the vote it would be an emphatic YES.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast