Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: UK Parties' stance on sex work

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    629
    Reviews
    25

    Default UK Parties' stance on sex work

    Very interesting piece.

    Whilst pre-election promises are to be taken with a large saltmine , it is interesting to see that almost all UK parties take a nuanced view on sex work (UKIP veeeerrryyy sketchy) . However ,almost every party (even Labour & Harman ) appear to place importance on the views of sex sellers themselves, which is quite refreshing.

    Just goes to show how powerful the TORL lobby group is here in Ireland and how backward most Irish politicians really are. Can you really imagine someone like the Healy Raes getting a seat in Westminister?

    Looking at the various party posters calling for ' Equality for Everybody' etc etc re SSM whilst deliberately refusing to engage with sex workers in order to protect the TORL campaign .

    http://prostitutescollective.net/201...iminalisation/

    As said earlier, take what you want from pre-election promises , but interesting and informative nonetheless.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to milkman For This Useful Post:

    Davidontour (07-05-15), Empirical (09-05-15), nonpareil (08-05-15), the traveller (09-05-15)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Belfast / Beal Feirste / Capital of Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,118
    Reviews
    5

    Default

    Interesting article indeed and I'm glad this research was done by sex workers themselves. The Greens and Lib Dems have a clear policy of decriminalisation, which shows broadminded, forward thinking.

    Political attitudes are of course highly changeable, but Britain generally does seem to be much more clued in on the subject. If coercive trafficking really was the issue, there is no way client criminalisation would have been rejected at Westminster last year or in the Scottish Assembly (three times). The Irish approach is a mixture of ignorance and misplaced morality, with a cynical eye on political expediency.

    That's why Alliance in particular deserve respect for standing up for the truth in the North, despite standard bullying tactics from the DUP.
    2014 in Northern Ireland:

    Number of reported attacks on sex workers 70

    Number of sex trafficking cases ZERO

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Davidontour For This Useful Post:

    Empirical (09-05-15), Super ModeratorFloki (07-05-15), milkman (07-05-15), Escort AdvertiserSexy Sandy 69 (07-05-15), the traveller (09-05-15)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,913
    Reviews
    2

    Default

    On the strength of a 20,000 exit poll, it seems Cameron will be back with Mad Hattie Harman and her gang gone!
    A great night for our hobby/business! OK the Tories will be propped up by The DUP, but the Tories will pay absolutely no attention to them on moral matters!
    Ride them on the beaches!

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,913
    Reviews
    2

    Default

    It seems Cameron will be able to govern without the official support of other parties! I hope Theresa May stays on as home secretary! I think it's a good result for our Biz/Hobby!
    The worry is that Yvette Cooper could be the next Fake Socialist Party leader, they have nobody left of substance, but the party bosses are no so stupid as to pick her!
    She had to be persuaded at the last minute before giving her speech to the Fake Socialist Party conference last time, to remove the criminalize the punter part of it! That's the level this Gobshite is at!
    Ride them on the beaches!

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    783
    Reviews
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidontour View Post
    Interesting article indeed and I'm glad this research was done by sex workers themselves. The Greens and Lib Dems have a clear policy of decriminalisation, which shows broadminded, forward thinking.

    Political attitudes are of course highly changeable, but Britain generally does seem to be much more clued in on the subject. If coercive trafficking really was the issue, there is no way client criminalisation would have been rejected at Westminster last year or in the Scottish Assembly (three times). The Irish approach is a mixture of ignorance and misplaced morality, with a cynical eye on political expediency.

    That's why Alliance in particular deserve respect for standing up for the truth in the North, despite standard bullying tactics from the DUP.
    I just can't believe how ignorant and thick the DUP actually are, they have a lot to answer for

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Belfast / Beal Feirste / Capital of Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,118
    Reviews
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    I just can't believe how ignorant and thick the DUP actually are, they have a lot to answer for
    To be fair, for an ignorant and thick party, they persauded 184,260 people to vote for them last week, more than any other NI party. That says a lot about the electorate.
    2014 in Northern Ireland:

    Number of reported attacks on sex workers 70

    Number of sex trafficking cases ZERO

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    783
    Reviews
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidontour View Post
    To be fair, for an ignorant and thick party, they persauded 184,260 people to vote for them last week, more than any other NI party. That says a lot about the electorate.
    yep but they're ignorant attitude and ideas, prehistoric, take their attitude to gay and lesbian couples and they were the instigators of this Sex Bill that comes into force next month

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chez For This Useful Post:

    JMastodon (11-05-15)

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Eire.
    Posts
    8,325
    Reviews
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    yep but they're ignorant attitude and ideas, prehistoric, take their attitude to gay and lesbian couples and they were the instigators of this Sex Bill that comes into force next month
    They have more in common with the South than they would like to think.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •