Thread: Pretty disturbing...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Pretty disturbing...

I was appalled by the murders of Jill Meagher and Karen Buckley. And I can't imagine the agonies being endured by their loved ones.
    But the tone, content and implications of this article, and the White Ribbon campaign it's reporting on, is nothing more than hate inducing, rabble rousing, and emotional blackmail.

"Husband of Jill Meagher 'cried for hours' when he learned of Karen's death"

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-31164692.html

"I remember waking up the morning that I found out what happened and it was just so heartbreaking. I cried for hours.

"It is a very similar case to Jill in a way but it is also very different in how individuals deal with this," he said.

He urged Karen's family to "take love where you can find it and take comfort in your family and friends".

"They have a very hard road ahead, as I know all too well."

Mr Meagher was speaking at the launch of a campaign against prostitution and sex trafficking in Dublin yesterday.

He told how a man who violently raped a prostitute justified it by saying: "I paid for her. I can do what I want with her."

"Two years later, that man raped and murdered my wife," he said.

While life after the death of his wife remains "very difficult", he said he has been helped greatly by being involved in campaigns to fight violence against women.

"It's the idea that we can all do our own bit to ensure that no other woman ever has to go through what Jill did," he said.

He condemned the attitude whereby men are tempted into using prostitutes under the illusion that it is an agreement of mutual consent. He said we need to end the lie that prostitution is about sexual freedom or liberation.

"It's not sexual liberation, it's exploitation...The only person we know making a free choice here is the buyer."

Irish Independent

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prickly For This Useful Post:

Ladyvonteese (25-04-15), the traveller (23-04-15), YoungIrishGirl (12-05-15)