Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple location logging - something to watch out for

Default Apple location logging - something to watch out for

Hi All,

I was gobsmacked to see what information my iPhone has been gathering about my movements. It seems to be logging any place I've stayed for more than 30 minutes. Mostly it has figured out where I live and where I work, as well as my legitimate haunts. But I noticed one or two entries that I'd struggle to justify if interrogated;-)

Not everyone here may feel the need to be discrete about their movements, but for those who would like to keep their hobbies private you might want to check this out, and make up your own mind.

Frequent Locations is buried in the settings options of the iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. You can find it by tapping Privacy, then Location Services, then scrolling all the way down past all the individual apps that have asked for access to your location to System Settings, then at the bottom of THAT menu is Frequent Locations. Below the toggle to turn the service on or off, tapping on one of the items in the location history will show a map of places you have visited and the exact times you were there.

Happy punting
    Mick

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MickHappy For This Useful Post:

Cosa Nostra (13-03-15), Irish Siobhan (13-03-15), joggon (13-03-15), mature abby (13-03-15), nibb (13-03-15), pigsmickey (13-03-15), Sexy Samantha British (13-03-15), Stephanie (13-03-15), zoozoozoo (13-03-15)

Reviews

Google also seem very eager to have your locations.

Any thoughts?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nonpareil For This Useful Post:

joggon (13-03-15)

I was also astounded to see my smartphone has stored information on searches I had made on google maps on my pc. Even things like locating a street in London. You can turn off this feature in maps by going into settings/location reporting.

This is something I think a lot of people are not aware of.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpenney For This Useful Post:

Irish Siobhan (13-03-15), joggon (13-03-15), Stephanie (13-03-15)

Reviews

we are a watched society even your smart tv:s with the camara recordies what you watch and then emailes you to see are you interested in buying a product related to it.
    I say dump all your dunnes card Tesco etc what you buy is your business not the shopping companies

Reviews

Google is dangerous it is gathering information all the time.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MickHappy View Post
    Hi All,

I was gobsmacked to see what information my iPhone has been gathering about my movements. It seems to be logging any place I've stayed for more than 30 minutes. Mostly it has figured out where I live and where I work, as well as my legitimate haunts. But I noticed one or two entries that I'd struggle to justify if interrogated;-)

Not everyone here may feel the need to be discrete about their movements, but for those who would like to keep their hobbies private you might want to check this out, and make up your own mind.

Frequent Locations is buried in the settings options of the iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. You can find it by tapping Privacy, then Location Services, then scrolling all the way down past all the individual apps that have asked for access to your location to System Settings, then at the bottom of THAT menu is Frequent Locations. Below the toggle to turn the service on or off, tapping on one of the items in the location history will show a map of places you have visited and the exact times you were there.

Happy punting
    Mick
    Many thanks for this tip ,just turned it off on my phone

Reviews

Pay cash when you can, use debit/credit cards as little as possible, do not have loyality cards.
    All these gather information about you for the government, it tells them how much money you spend and that info lets them know how much tax they can get off you.
    Please spend smart, use cash all the time if possible.
    draw out as much as you can and spend it and do not use cards

" WE ARE CONNACHT "

11. The Following User Says Thank You to willie wacker For This Useful Post:

Irish Siobhan (13-03-15)

Reviews

just checked, mine is denrut off.

thanks for that -
    citizenfour

14. The Following User Says Thank You to roxyodeo For This Useful Post:

funlover12 (13-03-15)

Reviews

theres a reason for a cheap burner phone, none of this crap

also if you have more than one apple device and use google cloud or drive (probabably unintentionlly opting in) all your devices are treated as one storage area, so you look at or save something on one of them its 'copied' to the others

added to that if you have bluetooth on yer fancy fone then you can be hacked in realtime wherever you are provided they mobile following you
    Last edited by funlover12; 13-03-15 at 15:24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast