Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Shoots Intruder --"Castle Doctrine State"

Quote Originally Posted by OutKast View Post
    Sounds like you revel in it.

I agree with Whoseyourdaddy.
    Revel in it ?

I verbatim quoted a news piece , and posed a couple of impartial open questions.

I did not express my personal opinion whatsoever.

We can start debating the news piece if you'd like . Like the gloating language used re the burglar's demise etc.

Or the right of a person to protect themselves.
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    In both jurisdictions you have the right to use minimum effective proportionate force to defend yourself, or someone else. Once the danger is over, you cannot continue to use force. If you injure someone defending yourself, you have a duty of care to get them medical aid, and if it is safe, to provide first aid.

You don’t have specific homeowner rights, as in some states in America.

What would I do, in reality? Challenge them, at least, with a shotgun. Problem with shooting someone is that you don’t know who the bastard is. Odds are, he doesn’t come from too far away, don’t what to be shooting one of your neighbour’s sons.
    Proportionate .

What does that mean ?

If he's got nothing but his bare hands , fists , and feet , that's all you can use in defending yourself ?

That'd be awkward . Awful to even think .

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    What's the current situation in Ireland re self defense ?

Or defense of your property ? :

"Texas is a Castle Doctrine State

Sometimes the news is encouraging and entertaining !

This burglar's relative says: "At least he could have fired a warning shot first!"

From WTTC News in Dallas, we get this heartwarming tale of long-time criminal, 33 year old Deyfon Pipkin, who was in the process of climbing in a window of a Texas home ...... that wasn't his.

The elderly owner - and former Marine - occupant saw him and fired one shot from his .357 Magnum, abruptly ending Deyfon’s criminal career. (There is no such thing as a FORMER Marine!)

As the police do, they came by to investigate, gathered the corpse, then went to notify Deyfon's family of his unfortunate early demise. It seems that the family were very upset, because they then showed up at the scene.

"That ol' guy could have fired a warning shot," Lakesha Thompson, Pipkins' sister-in-law, complained. "Then at least Deyfon would've known that there was a gun on the property and the owner might use it in self-defense."

COMMENT FROM THE SIDELINE:

"That's certainly true, Lakesha. The home-owner could also have invited him in and given him a beer, then helped him cart the TV out to the curb".

"Unfortunately for Deyfon, Texas is a 'Castle Doctrine state', and the homeowner chose to shoot the intruder, as is the right and proper thing for a homeowner that is being broken into to do in Texas.

"For that matter, Lakesha, you could have warned Deyfon yourself. Why didn't YOU tell him: 'Deyfon, yo' needs to quit breakin' into other peoples' houses and stealin' their shit. One o' these days someone is goins to pop a cap in yo' ass.'"

"In light of the steadily increasing cost of ammunition, coupled with the rising scarcity, a warning shot - especially in Texas - is a frivolous and unnecessary expense."

"And, in this case a substantial savings of taxpayer money was a side result: NO investigation expense, NO jail time awaiting trial, NO expense of a trial, and NO prison costs after sentencing!"

Don't you just love it, when things work out right?"

What would you do if you found someone climbing through your window ? An intruder in the middle of the night ?

What are your rights ? (And what are your desires ? In such case .)

xx
    I was reading where in the US more and more women were buying firearms to protect themselves so could I ask you Steph what you would you do if you found someone climbing through your window?
    Last edited by HairyPotter; 01-03-15 at 12:23.

Reviews

Revel in it ?

I verbatim quoted a news piece , and posed a couple of impartial open questions.

I did not express my personal opinion whatsoever.

We can start debating the news piece if you'd like . Like the gloating language used re the burglar's demise etc.

Or the right of a person to protect themselves.
    What kind of news talks like that? link please

Reviews

Proportionate .

What does that mean ?

If he's got nothing but his bare hands , fists , and feet , that's all you can use in defending yourself ?

That'd be awkward . Awful to even think .
    Proportionate is important.
    It is not minimum force because minimum force is literally no force at all.
    It is minimum effective force, required to defend yourself.
    Proportionality is important. Quote, “If he's got nothing but his bare hands, fists, and feet, that's all you can use in defending yourself?”
    Proportionality. Is he likely to attack you, now he has seen you, or just try to escape? How big is he in proportion to you? Are you disabled? Are you female and he is male? Is he young and you are elderly. Do you fear for your life? Do you fear grievous bodily injury? Do you fear being the victim of a “heinous” crime? [Rape is considered a “heinous” crime”] And so on.......
    Even if he's got nothing but his bare hands, fists, and feet, you are not obliged to defend yourself within the Marquis of Queensbury rules. In many cases you could justify the use of a weapon to defend yourself, especially if you feared death or serious injury, either to yourself or anyone else.
    Ultimately, it is up to a court to decide if your actions were proportionate. If that happens key phrase is, “I feared for my life”.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (01-03-15)

Reviews

I do not disagree with you xxx

What would you do if you found someone climbing through your window ? An intruder in the middle of the night ? xx
    I know you don't xx

No one knows how they would react in such circumstances until actually confronted with it.

My point is that for most people here, the option of reaching for your Magnum doesn't arise and I think we are the better for that.

I like SteveB's comment...try to avoid injuring others or being injured yourself. Not a bad philosophy for a good life n'est pas?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by whoseyourdaddy View Post
    I know you don't xx

No one knows how they would react in such circumstances until actually confronted with it.

My point is that for most people here, the option of reaching for your Magnum doesn't arise and I think we are the better for that.

I like SteveB's comment...try to avoid injuring others or being injured yourself. Not a bad philosophy for a good life n'est pas?
    The priority of most people who enter your house as a trespasser is not to get caught.
    If you can get away from your house, mostly they are not going to chase you.
    Most burglars when they realise they are discovered they will run.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

whoseyourdaddy (01-03-15)

Quote Originally Posted by OutKast View Post
    What kind of news talks like that? link please
    Texas News . Apparently.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=wttc+...&client=safari

Quote Originally Posted by whoseyourdaddy View Post
    I know you don't xx

I know exactly how I would react and have been in the position before.
    As a gun owner I would have no hesitation in shooting them as they know the score once they break in and I wouldn't care who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Banger View Post
    There was a case in Northern Ireland where the burglar was fleeing the other persons house with money and jewelry and tripped
    at the door on way out and turned around and sued the owner for the injuries sustained while on her property . Perfectly legal it seems but what nonsense.Is the law the same here?
    yes it has happened here, in one case a fella stole a car ,crashed and sued the owners claiming brakes were faulty had experts to back his story won the case

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast