Last years True Detective was a real sleeper hit for me, it was the right mix of the slow burn of The Wire with the of the character intensity and friction between the leads of Breaking Bad. Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson played off each other so well that the casting of the next season I feel may make or break this series. So while looking to see if/when season two was starting I saw that the main characters of season two are going to be played by Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn.

I am not sure how I feel about the casting choice, while I feel Colin Farrell may have greater potential then he has shown I would still have felt he was iffy as a choice but its Vince Vaughn that has left me less then excited for season two. Now I am not saying Vaughn is a bad actor but I have never seen him in a film where I could separate Vaughn from was playing character he was suppose to be portraying. Every role he seemed to be just playing himself.

I still hold out hope that season two may be as good as the first season. There does seem to be a major shift in the overall mood and tone of this seasons story as well as a change from relationships between the leads, from the slightly frictious partner dynamic in the first to the more antagonistic relationship between Farrell (cop) and Vaughn (criminal) that may work better with this casting. McConaughey and Harrelson created some great tension between their characters while still showing a level of deep trust between them that kept each scene between them some of the best acting I watched last year.

So does anyone else think Vaughn and Farrell can capture a similar chemistry, or will one outshine the other or will we be left with a season that is over shadowed by its first?