Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Cultural Tourism'

Question 'Cultural Tourism'

What do you think ?

How about the Jarawas of Indonesia ?

*what do you think -- asides from the obvious (very obvious !) tittie jokes ? x
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Blonde Alexa (23-02-15), simon2280 (23-02-15)

Reviews

looks like some of the pioneers of fake tan

Reviews

No cars, houses, mortgages, phones going off, products to distract them. Living life.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to warmcome For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (23-02-15)

Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post
    No cars, houses, mortgages, phones going off, products to distract them. Living life.
    My point was the white folk coming in and as if going to the Zoo , gazing upon the indigenous.

Look up Jarawas.

Clearly my point well lost on ye , too obscure for any to pick up ... ah well.

How would you feel , if 'tourists' came to your neighborhood to observe the 'locals' ? Treat you as some curiosity ?

What about the ecological impact , and the cultural degradation of those so exposed to 'civilization' ?

: I know -- too cerebral for this crowd

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (22-02-15), Vitruvian (22-02-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    My point was the white folk coming in and as if going to the Zoo , gazing upon the indigenous.

Look up Jarawas.

How would you feel , if 'tourists' came to your neighborhood to observe the 'locals' ? Treat you as some curiosity ?

What about the ecological impact , and the cultural degradation of those so exposed to 'civilization' ?

Patronising much?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to justfrank44 For This Useful Post:

funlover12 (22-02-15)

Quote Originally Posted by justfrank44 View Post
    Patronising much?
    No. More dismayed than anything.

Thank you for noticing my thread.

: what is your opinion of 'Cultural Tourism' ?

Reviews

Look up Jarawas.

all i saw was boobies steph

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tom sand For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (23-02-15)

Reviews

No. More dismayed than anything.

Thank you for noticing my thread.

: what is your opinion of 'Cultural Tourism' ?
    To a degree, northern Ireland suffered/suffers from this to a degree. Troubles tours, prison tours , mural tours, murder tours, I suppose from our

point of view, it doesn't matter as much, because it can be a source of income, from people with much the same values, appearance , culture etc.

It is very easy for us to say, it is a pity to change indeginous peoples habitats, lifestyles, ecosystems, but maybe those people welcome some of

that change. And once it starts, change will continue. Just to clarify, I haven't watched the video.

I would say that rather than the thread being too cerebral, for people here, It is more likely that we don't come here for deep thinking, rather, light

hearted banter and some vicious trolling.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to justfrank44 For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (23-02-15)

Reviews

Reviews

I am somewhat uneasy about the notion of cultural tourism when visiting indigenous peoples who are living their everyday lives, as in the video. There is one scene where one of the tourist women is staring at the native woman like an exhibit in a zoo. I can see the comparison with Northern Ireland but it is not in my opinion a direct comparison, the people of the north are not living their lives the way they used to, so in effect the cultural visits are rapidly becoming historical tours.

Trying to picture myself as a cultural tourist, I would think I would rather try and assimilate with the indigenous people while visiting rather than watching as an outsider. Assimilation might not be easy but would be a much richer experience.
    Last edited by doodlebug; 22-02-15 at 23:14.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doodlebug For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (23-02-15), Stephanie (23-02-15)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast