Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: American Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by Big_AL View Post
    Good enough movie but Oscar material !!!!!! I dont think so and I am of a similar stance with Foxcatcher which I found a little more disturbing.
    And !!

I just remembered : a bit hokey >>> pinned down , fighting for his life and for his comrades , he takes five to

call wife ....

'Hollywood moment' ... or do people really do such ? : airplane about to go down .. ?

I rather like Brad Cooper's turn out though. Never knew he's a decent / good actor. Never seen him in a serious role x

Last edited by Stephanie; 22-02-15 at 12:39. Reason: Delete Spoiler .
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_AL View Post
    Good enough movie but Oscar material!!! I dont think so and I am of a similar stance with Foxcatcher which I found a little more disturbing.
    Please tell ?

Yes , no ?

Details or synopsis ?

Anyone else've seen it ? x

Reviews

I thought the movie was actually very good but it is only "based" on a true story.

The book it is based on gives a much more complete view of Chris Kyles outlook on his four tours of duty.

A guy who repeatedly states that he believes in "God, Country and Family" in that order he at no point expresses regret over

killing so many Iraqi insurgents.

He believed he was there to protect his fellow Americans from the enemy and his only regret is that he couldn't have saved

more American lives.

There are parts of the movie that are included in order to make it more exciting, for example Kyle never encountered the

Iraqi sniper that plays such a prominent role in the movie. The movie also fails to convey the very real strain placed on the

marriages of American servicemen by multiple deployments.

If you've seen the movie you I think you should really read the book to get the full story.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klittyliker For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (22-02-15), tom sand (22-02-15)

Seen it ,it was bit hard as it switched back and forth between home life and Iraq but can see reason as they were trying to cram 4 tours of Iraq into it.. overall quite enjoyed it ,will watch again

6. The Following User Says Thank You to atom For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (22-02-15)

7. Default

Yet another Yankee Blockbuster!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Klittyliker View Post
    I thought the movie was actually very good but it is only "based" on a true story.

The book it is based on gives a much more complete view of Chris Kyles outlook on his four tours of duty.

A guy who repeatedly states that he believes in "God, Country and Family" in that order

he at no point expresses regret over killing so many Iraqi insurgents.

He believed he was there to protect his fellow Americans from the enemy and his only regret is that he couldn't have saved

more American lives.

There are parts of the movie that are included in order to make it more exciting, for example Kyle never encountered the

Iraqi sniper that plays such a prominent role in the movie. The movie also fails to convey the very real strain placed on the

marriages of American servicemen by multiple deployments.

If you've seen the movie you I think you should really read the book to get the full story.
    Why should he ?

Fails to convey ? I disagree ! I think that's the whole point of the movie ! xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Klittyliker (22-02-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Why should he ?

Fails to convey ? I disagree ! I think that's the whole point of the movie ! xx
    Hi Stephanie, I'm not saying that he should express any regret just that he doesn't. He believes in what he did and I agree

100% with the guy. His job was to protect American troops against those who would harm them and he did it amazingly well.

As for what I said about the film failing to portray the strain put on the relationships of troops, I just mean that there is a

lot more in the book about how his wife felt that he loved the Seal Teams more than his wife and kids and how she

struggled with this. I think it is her perspective that could have been focussed on more in the film.

I would recommend reading the book as it really helps to get a better idea of the guys personality and how he thought about

things.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Klittyliker For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (22-02-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    And !!

I just remembered : a bit hokey >>> pinned down , fighting for his life and for his comrades , he takes five to

call wife ....

'Hollywood moment' ... or do people really do such ? : airplane about to go down .. ?

I rather like Brad Cooper's turn out though. Never knew he's a decent / good actor. Never seen him in a serious role x

Bradley Cooper played the lead male role in Silver Linings Playbook and I thought he was excellent.Also good in semi-serious role in American Hustle.I enjoy him and his ability to mix roles.Not as good as,but a bit like Jack Nicholson.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gameboy For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (22-02-15), tom sand (22-02-15)

Reviews

Very enjoyable film , imo.

Watched it at the cinema last night ,going in completely blind to the story bar based on a true events.

Movie reasonably accurate though specifics are dramatised.

Certainly didn't think it glorified the US per se - soldiers glibly referered to locals as 'savages' as one would if insuch a warzone.

Thought Miller was very good and its rare we get to see about the wives of soldiers in action - their stress , loneliness ,and then often get a shell of a man when he comes home.

Kyle was portrayed as a 'patriot' and viewed the world purely in those terms (unlike his younger brother and Kyle's comrade who expressed doubt about the entire conflict) .

Some footage of Kyle available on youtube with the likes of Conan O'Brien show - will definitely buy the book on the basis of the film

Side issue - saw 'a most violent year' last w/e - another terrific movie

15. The Following User Says Thank You to milkman For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (23-02-15)

Reviews

It wa an ok movie. The fact that eastwood and co deferred to kyle's wife and agreed not to portray him in a bad light , dilutes any message the movie sends. Also , The wife of one of kyles colleagues who died in combat, is angry over the way his death was portrayed in the film, believing it showed him in a cowardly/unpatriotic light. A much better movie to show how soldiers suffer after war is the deer hunter.
    On a side note to steph, apparrently kyles wife mentioned in an interview, how much she hated it when he called her during combat operations, the sound of gunfire and explosions scared her obviously.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to justfrank44 For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (23-02-15)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast