Thread: 2014 NI Trafficking results are in

Reviews

Default 2014 NI Trafficking results are in

From Laura Lee's twitter:

2014 -
    Nr of crimes against sex workers in NI - 70
    Nr of POTENTIAL cases of trafficking - 3
    Nr of SW's consulted by Lord Morrow - 1

Comments / explanations welcome from any of the 81 MLAs who voted for Clause 15.

In your own time....
    2014 in Northern Ireland:

Number of reported attacks on sex workers 70

Number of sex trafficking cases ZERO

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Davidontour For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (23-01-15), Empirical (23-01-15), Larrii (23-01-15), liffey (23-01-15), Melindablondey (23-01-15), Petros (28-01-15), samlad (24-01-15), Sexy Sandy 69 (29-01-15), SmallHorn (23-01-15), SteveB (23-01-15), the traveller (23-01-15), TonyB (23-01-15)

Reviews

I'm posting partly to keep this thread current.

I will also say I believe politicians voted this in because of their moral or religious views or those they believe they should be perceived to have.
    Facts or alternative views never stood a chance against the possibility of losing votes.

It is hard to stand up and be counted in opposition to this law.
    It's difficult to argue a point when nobody wants to listen.

I saw this recently on Facebook when a friend of mine questioned a Torl post.
    He was nothing short of abused as it appeared by the response, anyone paying for sex is a rapist and pedophile.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TonyB For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (23-01-15), Davidontour (23-01-15), Empirical (24-01-15), Melindablondey (23-01-15), Sexy Sandy 69 (29-01-15), SteveB (23-01-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post

I will also say I believe politicians voted this in because of their moral or religious views or those they believe they should be perceived to have.
    Facts or alternative views never stood a chance against the possibility of losing votes.

He was nothing short of abused as it appeared by the response, anyone paying for sex is a rapist and pedophile.
    This is the problem. Some people are narrow-mind, and those that are not, are intimated by those that are. It is easy to be brave here, hinding behind the internet but in the real world there is a lot of viciousness, that doesn't always stop at mere words.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

Davidontour (23-01-15), Sexy Sandy 69 (29-01-15)

Reviews

The law is wrong, everyone knows that but at the same time something has to be done about trafficking. It's not near as prevalent as we are lead to believe but showing statistics saying it's not near as bad is no argument as to why it's wrong, how many trafficked victims is justifiable if that were an acceptable argument, 1, 2, a 100?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    The law is wrong, everyone knows that but at the same time something has to be done about trafficking. It's not near as prevalent as we are lead to believe but showing statistics saying it's not near as bad is no argument as to why it's wrong, how many trafficked victims is justifiable if that were an acceptable argument, 1, 2, a 100?
    Trafficking is already illegal.
    If the new law drives sex for sale underground, will this stop trafficking?
    Personally I believe this approach is wrong on many levels.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyB For This Useful Post:

Davidontour (23-01-15), liffey (23-01-15), Sexy Sandy 69 (29-01-15)

Reviews

Trafficking is already illegal.
    If the new law drives sex for sale underground, will this stop trafficking?
    Personally I believe this approach is wrong on many levels.
    You're preaching to the choir but as I said, showing statistics is not an argument if there's even 1 case of trafficking on it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to anon361 For This Useful Post:

TonyB (23-01-15)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    You're preaching to the choir but as I said, showing statistics is not an argument if there's even 1 case of trafficking on it.
    Showing statistics puts things into perspective. The statistics show that it is no where near as prevalent as people were led to believe, it is contained and it is under control. In fact they show that the current laws are well able to manage the problem and if they do feel there are more trafficked out there not coming forward, how is the new law going to bring them out and make it easier for them? It isn't! it's going to make it much harder.

We can look forward to seeing those statistics rise in every area in the coming years. I just hope that I don't find myself on the 'crimes against sex workers' list that will increase.
    Last edited by CurvaceousKate; 23-01-15 at 14:12.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

Davidontour (23-01-15), milkman (23-01-15), Sexy Sandy 69 (29-01-15), the traveller (24-01-15)

Reviews

I find that the easiest way to counter their rabid accusations is to ask them why THEY and TORL are repeatedly covering up the extent of child rape,increased prostitution , criminality and trafficking which the Swedes disclose in their annual Trafficking Reports?

Its also worth asking them why there are more 'women for sale' in Stockholm today (17 years on after the introduction of the successful model') than in the entire island of Ireland and why do THEY cover up that fact if they believe prostitution is rape?

www.cityoflove.com (as named in Sweden's 2012 Trafficking Report) .Go to Sweden tag....then go to Stockholm...More 'women for sale' there than Ireland . And why does TORL cover than such 'abuse' .

Just compare them as the exact same as the clergy that covered up paedophilia - selling themselves as the good guys to the public whilst covering up Swedish abuse in private , just like the priests - They REALLY hate that.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to milkman For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (23-01-15), Davidontour (23-01-15), Empirical (24-01-15), Sexy Sandy 69 (29-01-15), the traveller (24-01-15), TonyB (23-01-15)

Reviews

A huge problem and something which I didn't realise until this issue arose in Stormont, is that while a court of law requires proof, the process of making law doesn't.

Some of the statements and figures used to justify clause 15 are just plain ridiculous, but no-one seriously challenged them in the chamber. Most MLAs voted without having a clue on the issues. They just knew they disagreed with sex work and that was enough to justify bringing in bad law based on lies and half-truths.

As far as the quoted statistics are concerned, three suspected (not proven) cases is three too many but Sweden has proved (though won't admit) that 'ending demand' doesn't work. In fairness to Sweden and more recently Canada, neither made any secret of the fact their legislation is about disapproval of sex work, rather than coercive trafficking, which is a minority issue.

To quote Canadian Conservative senator Donald Plett last summer; ''We don't want to make life safe for prostitutes. We want to do away with prostitution. That's the intent of the bill.'' In other words sex worker safety comes a poor second to his moral objections. He may be an arsehole but at least he's an honest one.
    2014 in Northern Ireland:

Number of reported attacks on sex workers 70

Number of sex trafficking cases ZERO

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Davidontour For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (23-01-15), Larrii (23-01-15), Mr Cuddles (28-01-15), Sexy Sandy 69 (29-01-15), the traveller (24-01-15)

Reviews

Does anybody know whether there's a court challenge to Clause 15 afoot in NI? AFAIK, there is a case being taken re NI ' abortion status .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast