Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's worried about their job in 2009

Default Who's worried about their job in 2009

Just curious. Things have slowed a bit here but not too scary - just a levelling off.

First 2 months of new year will really show whats happening in my industry - Fingers crossed.

Are things as Bad as the Newspapers would have us believe ?
    How are things with you ?

p.s. what is minimum statutory redundancy - does anyone know ?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by alechoran View Post
    Just curious. Things have slowed a bit here but not too scary - just a levelling off.

First 2 months of new year will really show whats happening in my industry - Fingers crossed.

Are things as Bad as the Newspapers would have us believe ?
    How are things with you ?

p.s. what is minimum statutory redundancy - does anyone know ?
    Things are pretty slow in construction for the last few months but lucily commercial construction is still healthyish.. the first quater of 09 will be hell, but things should start to crawl back second quater..

State redundancy is hardly worth getting..
    DETE - A Layperson's Brief Guide to the Redundancy Payments Scheme

Blog Entries

An awful lot of people I know are worried. Not necessarily worried they'll loose their job, but if they are not worried about that, they are still worried about something else relating to the recession, like house prices falling further and negative equity in their home etc.

Reviews

Not worried about my job but really worried about the jobs of some of my staff
    Bloody STG exchange rate is killing me

Reviews

No mine is secure thank God but 3 of my mates laid off next week this recession is really biting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anon163 View Post
    Bloody STG exchange rate is killing me
    Fucking Brits, root of all evil

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Fucking Brits, root of all evil
    Oi Paddy - watch it! I blame the bloody vikings - they started with all the rape and pillage, we were happy playing and eating mud till they came along

Blog Entries

Don't know many who aren't worried, if not for 08 then def for 09!!!!!
    Ok so a few in recession proof jobs aren't getting to excited but retail is in a bad way!!!
    Like Anon says, worried about staff jobs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alechoran View Post
    Will affect me a little in that horse’s are a luxury for most and they are expensive to keep. Beautiful specimens of Horses are being sent to abattoirs as its not worth trying to sell them as the cost of entering them at a horse sales can now cost more then they will make at auction so even the slaughter house’s have to many and are turning them away. Even heard of cases where the staff of abattoir turn up to find horses tethered and left at the gate. A lot of those horse’s would have been for kids so its sad to see how a downturn can so quickly have an impact on things that you would not consider.

I saw a horse go under the hammer last month that was worth say 1500 last year and sold for 100 and the owner took it as it was to expensive to keep now.

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    Things are pretty slow in construction for the last few months but lucily commercial construction is still healthyish.. the first quater of 09 will be hell, but things should start to crawl back second quater..

State redundancy is hardly worth getting..
    DETE - A Layperson's Brief Guide to the Redundancy Payments Scheme
    I think the concensus amongst the most of the finance sector is that Q2 & Q3 are going to be the worst. And also that we have quite a bit deeper to go into this before we see a turnaround. For those who care, the GPB/EUR rate is likely to hit parity by the end of the year, since the ECB have basically said there's no more interest rate cuts coming in the near future. The UK's stimulus package mean they're going to have to print a load of money in the near future, same as Lawson did in the 80's, driving their inflation wild.

We still need to see what happens in the states both with the auto industry effectively closing in the next few months and the 1.5 million odd jobs that will be lost, and with Obama's grand construction plan. So many people seem to think he's going to save the world but unless he turns up to his inauguration wearing a cape and his jocks outside his trousers I'll reserve judgement

As the chinese say, may we live in interesting times!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast