Thread: If you ever worked for a large organisation you'll understand....

Reviews

Default If you ever worked for a large organisation you'll understand....

Recently a few of us questioned a silly policy at work only to come up against a brick wall!
    Brings this to mind so I thought I'd share!

Five Monkeys
    The Way Things Are Done:

Start with 5 monkeys locked in a cage.

Hang a banana from the roof on a string and place a set of stairs under it.

Before long the monkeys will go to the stairs and start to climb toward the banana.

As soon as the first monkey touches the stairs, hose the other monkeys with cold water.

After a while another monkey makes an attempt with the same result. All the other are sprayed with cold water.

Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and goes to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm!

Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked.

Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water.

Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana.

Why not?

Because as far as they know that’s the way it’s always been done around here. And that, my friends, is how company policy begins.
    Last edited by jamieboyo; 23-12-14 at 11:22.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jamieboyo For This Useful Post:

Alex.xx (24-12-14), Calidude (23-12-14), funlover12 (23-12-14), Klittyliker (23-12-14), ocred (24-12-14), Prickly (23-12-14), Stephanie (24-12-14), TonyStark (24-12-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup View Post
    Had u another run in with the boss jamie?
    I was kinda hoping that might be forgotten about........

But no, this is more of a grievance about a silly policy rather than the boss, who actually has little control over it BTW.
    The boss is kinda.......kinda talking to me again, and neither of us have mentioned the Xmas breakup!!!

You're some stirrer though LOL!

Reviews

What if one of the replacement monkeys has seen 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes'?

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to samlad For This Useful Post:

Alex.xx (24-12-14), funlover12 (23-12-14), jamieboyo (23-12-14), Klittyliker (23-12-14), ocred (24-12-14), rob_tig (24-12-14), willie wacker (24-12-14)

7. Default

What's the use of being a manager in a large organisation if you can't Boss people around and make useless decisions to confuse everybody that's what large organisations are all about !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiberjabber View Post
    What if one of the replacement monkeys has seen 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes'?
    It depends what is going to do with the knowledge after seeing the 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes'
    a/ share it with other monkeys,
    b/ sit tight on the ass and do nothing,
    c/ sit tight on the ass and use the knowledge to own sole benefit.
    But I guess it depends again from that monkey economical situation, meaning - how badly monkey needs that job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Sanchez View Post
    What's the use of being a manager in a large organisation if you can't Boss people around and make useless decisions to confuse everybody that's what large organisations are all about !!!!
    monthly salary and company car

Quote Originally Posted by samlad View Post
    stealing

reminds me of that quote by keynes (just replace government with company)

"The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation" - Henry David Thoreau.