Thread: Why the next (UK) general election will be pivotal for sex worker rights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Post Why the next (UK) general election will be pivotal for sex worker rights

Very interesting article on how the recent attempt to introduce the Nordic Model to England was defeated.

There are lessons here for our next election too.

via IUSW (@IUSW_ORG)

Margaret Corvid
    New Statesman

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...-worker-rights

When I became a sex worker, I thought I was entering a marginal, grey area, as far away from politics as any occupation can be. Instead, I found myself part of a growing movement of sex workers fighting for our livelihoods – and winning. Worldwide, sex workers are facing crackdowns, but on 4 November, for the first time, British sex workers participated fully in the political process at Westminster, stopping legislation that would criminalise the purchase of sexual services.
    In justifying why the policy should be appended to the Modern Slavery Bill, MacTaggart had claimed that criminalising clients would reduce trafficking and violent crime against sex workers, but quickly moved on to her real hope – that it would reduce demand. At Westminster, campaigners met her claims head on, and with their experience of sex work, put things into context. MacTaggart had often cited a study claiming that sex work had decreased in Sweden, but more recent research (pdf), supported by Swedish sex work organisations, shows that there is no evidence of reduced demand, and that the incidence of sex work has possibly increased.
    Sex workers are voters, and constituents, everywhere in the UK, and so are our clients; in a recent study, one in ten British men reported paying for sex. We can write to candidates, meet with them, and tell them about our real lives. We can ask them to go on record about their positions on the decriminalisation of sex work; we can bring the issue up at hustings, or organise our own. We can demand that polling firms ask candidates, and voters, about it. With enough of a push, we might even get full decriminalisation on the agenda in the next Parliament. As ECP campaigner Niki Adams wrote in the Guardian: “If progress is to be made...MPs must invite us into the discussion.”
    Last edited by liffey; 04-12-14 at 22:32.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liffey For This Useful Post:

talkabout (04-12-14), the traveller (04-12-14)

3. Default

It's worrying because if Labour get voted in - the criminalisation of clients will be introduced in the UK. Also regarding the research from the Swedish sex worker organisation ROSE alliance, where they conducted with HIV Sweden the largest research and survey on indoor prostitution is unfortunately just in Swedish. It will cost between €5000 to €6000 to translate the research, so it's frustrating that evidence-based research is not available for non Swedish speakers, so that they can make informed decisions on this issue.
    Give me a call 083 455 2811 or PM to book in advance
    Smithfield 5th - 11th February
    Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CuteCatriona

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Catriona For This Useful Post:

liffey (05-12-14)