Thread: Review of Melissa Gira Grant's "Playing the Whore"

Reviews

Default Review of Melissa Gira Grant's "Playing the Whore"

A very long review in the London Review of Books:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n13/katrina...the-management

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Empirical For This Useful Post:

Davidontour (14-07-14), Irish Leigha (15-07-14), Jiberjabber (14-07-14), JMastodon (15-07-14), Larrii (15-07-14), Morpheus (17-07-14), royaler (18-11-14), talkabout (01-12-14), the traveller (13-07-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Empirical View Post

Very interesting review, enough so that I went ahead and ordered the book through Amazon.
    I only became aware of Melissa Grant recently through reading threads in this section of the forum. Very glad I did as she seems like the perfect antidote to the lies and half truths that make up the very one sided public 'debate'.

A former sex worker herself, Grant has been asked repeatedly to talk about her experiences, and has evaded doing so. ‘This is not a peep show,’ she writes. She has also been accused of being ‘unrepresentative’ – being white and university-educated. Well, she has responded, what did you expect? While sex workers continue to inhabit a space between legal and illegal, it’s hardly surprising that only those with resources, those who are least vulnerable, will come forward to tell their stories.
    Smart and classy.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiberjabber For This Useful Post:

Alex.xx (18-11-14), Davidontour (14-07-14)

Reviews

Thanks for this Empirical. An interesting read, culminating in this gem of a quote:

''The way we feel about sex shouldn’t be imposed on others. It certainly shouldn’t be the basis for law.''
    2014 in Northern Ireland:

Number of reported attacks on sex workers 70

Number of sex trafficking cases ZERO

Reviews

Great article. Thanks Empirical.
    "Don't be reckless with other people’s hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours"

Great article. I actually met Melissa Gira Grant when I was in London - she's great and really willing to tell you where it's at.
    Give me a call 083 455 2811 or PM to book in advance
    Smithfield 5th - 11th February
    Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CuteCatriona

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Catriona For This Useful Post:

Larrii (21-07-14)

Reviews

Bumping this because I wanted to say I've recently finished reading the book and must say it's a real eye-opener, especially for the more Ill-informed out there like myself. Since finishing it I've found parts resurfacing in my mind for various reasons and it's rewarded me with some fresh perspectives and insights on the plight of sex workers. I would highly recommend it to anyone, and I have done so with a few close friends already.

The only negative ( and it's a small thing and probably personal ) is that I found her style of writing hard going in places. Then again, I do seem to be having issues focusing for extended periods of time nowadays.
    Last edited by Jiberjabber; 17-11-14 at 19:51. Reason: The radio is broken, it don't work no more.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jiberjabber For This Useful Post:

Empirical (17-11-14)

Reviews

But did you, as others have said, find the book a work of fiction or not?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by the traveller View Post
    But did you, as others have said, find the book a work of fiction or not?
    No, I certainly didn't find it to be fictitious. Of course I haven't went through the book checking the facts but I'd be surprised if she has resorted to fabricating facts as there doesn't seem to be a need to, the focus of the book is mostly elsewhere. What it seems to me she's written is a much needed and fairly accessible account from the other side of the non-existent debate. I did check up on some of the history as I was reading and didn't find anything to contradict what she was saying, I have no way of verifying any of the personal anecdotal stories that she uses but I'd be surprised if she felt the need to embellish. I'd be interested to know the who's and why's behind the claims that Miss Grant is a liar though, I imagine that would be a telling story.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jiberjabber For This Useful Post:

the traveller (18-11-14)

Reviews

Interestingly New Zealand was the first country to offer universal suffrage(votes) to women.Now they are still treating them as independent minded aduls ,able to make up their own minds and say,yea or nay to sex work.

Also criminalising the purchasers of illegal drugs hasn't mad that industry go away ,but has enriched the coffers of criminal gangs and gangsters.
    Last edited by talkabout; 01-12-14 at 07:52.