Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Paedophile Next Door

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Belfast, lap of luxury
    Posts
    14,857
    Blog Entries
    18

    Question Paedophile Next Door

    I've just been watching this on ch. 4.

    What I'm most surprised about is the fact that there is a blanket assumption that anyone who is attracted to children (paedophile) is a rapist. This also reminded me of the way the law will be going, which says anyone who pays for sex is a rapist.

    Here is the programme > Paedophile Next Door

    I can't understand why they think it is a radical idea to help someone who has acknowledged they are attracted to young children combat their desires and keep on the straight and narrow.

    One thing that did come to light that I did not understand before, is that a paedophile could easily be attracted to any female of any age, so they are not restricted to young people to have sexual desire and that in my mind makes it a lot easier to combat and distract from.

    What are your feelings on this topic? Please bear in mind that when the law changes and clause 6 is included, you will be tarred with the same brush as these people, so maybe time to take a little more time to understand how it must feel to be in that position, to be having the finger pointed at you, even when you would never dream of acting upon your desires and would never hurt someone or have sex without consent.

    Do we think too simplistically generally on sexual matters or should there be a blanket assumption that anyone who is a paedophile will offend and should be put in prison?

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

    mayarosen (25-11-14), Melindablondey (25-11-14), Escort AdvertiserSexy Sandy 69 (26-11-14)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,874
    Reviews
    18

    Default

    If youre right in what you say ,I gotta read this clause 6 fast.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    5
    Reviews
    25

    Default

    Well put. The Swedish model has failed and these people rush to adopt it. WTF.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to mykey For This Useful Post:

    Curvaceous Kate (25-11-14)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Belfast, lap of luxury
    Posts
    14,857
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xagerate View Post
    If youre right in what you say ,I gotta read this clause 6 fast.
    The fact that they are making it a criminal offense to buy sex should tell you that this is what it is about. They are making the assumption that no woman would choose to be a sex worker, therefore there is no consent, which leads to rape.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

    Melindablondey (25-11-14), Escort AdvertiserSexy Sandy 69 (26-11-14)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    2,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    The fact that they are making it a criminal offense to buy sex should tell you that this is what it is about. They are making the assumption that no woman would choose to be a sex worker, therefore there is no consent, which leads to rape.
    they are selling it as that. i also think its a pre election gimmick (FG desperate for votes) and also economical in that they want to compel men to marry and have families. The new justice minister is a pseudo-feminist and sees prostitution as wrong, but marriage as positive, even though they are pretty much the same thing

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Meursault For This Useful Post:

    Curvaceous Kate (25-11-14)

  10. #6

    Default

    Paedophiles are most definately rapists in that non consensual/forced sex is rape. To prey on a minor/adolescent is wrong on every level. However, I do believe that a custodial sentence is not the simple answer to what is a physcological affliction. Incarceration will not change their persona or desires, merely delay the inevitable until their release into society. Surely in this age of advanced medicine and supposed counselling, some form of treatment should be devised to deter the convicted upon their release rather than the " off you go mate, times served " mentality which seems to prevail with no thought of preventative rehabilitation.
    x
    Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    I've just been watching this on ch. 4.

    What I'm most surprised about is the fact that there is a blanket assumption that anyone who is attracted to children (paedophile) is a rapist. This also reminded me of the way the law will be going, which says anyone who pays for sex is a rapist.

    Here is the programme > Paedophile Next Door

    I can't understand why they think it is a radical idea to help someone who has acknowledged they are attracted to young children combat their desires and keep on the straight and narrow.

    One thing that did come to light that I did not understand before, is that a paedophile could easily be attracted to any female of any age, so they are not restricted to young people to have sexual desire and that in my mind makes it a lot easier to combat and distract from.

    What are your feelings on this topic? Please bear in mind that when the law changes and clause 6 is included, you will be tarred with the same brush as these people, so maybe time to take a little more time to understand how it must feel to be in that position, to be having the finger pointed at you, even when you would never dream of acting upon your desires and would never hurt someone or have sex without consent.

    Do we think too simplistically generally on sexual matters or should there be a blanket assumption that anyone who is a paedophile will offend and should be put in prison?

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Redkingirish For This Useful Post:

    Curvaceous Kate (25-11-14)

  12. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,874
    Reviews
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    The fact that they are making it a criminal offense to buy sex should tell you that this is what it is about. They are making the assumption that no woman would choose to be a sex worker, therefore there is no consent, which leads to rape.
    Like I said....im gonna have to read more in depth as to the gravity the legislation proposes to put on this law being broken (The purchasing of sex)
    You are more up to speed on it than me im happy to admit...but if what you said there is correct,the changes to how things currently work will be a lot bigger than I initially thought. (If breaking the new law was to be in any way seen on a par legally as rape,they might just get what they desire........drasctically reduced numbers of clients)

    (Is this the NI or Republic proposals you refer to?)
    Last edited by xagerate; 25-11-14 at 23:48. Reason: Im assuming you mean because there are proposals to classify clients as sex offenders?

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    London, Dublin, Belfast and New York
    Posts
    226
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    I've just been watching this on ch. 4.

    What I'm most surprised about is the fact that there is a blanket assumption that anyone who is attracted to children (paedophile) is a rapist. This also reminded me of the way the law will be going, which says anyone who pays for sex is a rapist.

    Here is the programme > Paedophile Next Door

    I can't understand why they think it is a radical idea to help someone who has acknowledged they are attracted to young children combat their desires and keep on the straight and narrow.

    One thing that did come to light that I did not understand before, is that a paedophile could easily be attracted to any female of any age, so they are not restricted to young people to have sexual desire and that in my mind makes it a lot easier to combat and distract from.

    What are your feelings on this topic? Please bear in mind that when the law changes and clause 6 is included, you will be tarred with the same brush as these people, so maybe time to take a little more time to understand how it must feel to be in that position, to be having the finger pointed at you, even when you would never dream of acting upon your desires and would never hurt someone or have sex without consent.

    Do we think too simplistically generally on sexual matters or should there be a blanket assumption that anyone who is a paedophile will offend and should be put in prison?
    I watched it too, it has certainly given me a new insight into the problem. It is important to change the culture by helping the person... it is a type of addiction.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elizaparkeruk For This Useful Post:

    Curvaceous Kate (25-11-14), Redkingirish (25-11-14)

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Belfast, lap of luxury
    Posts
    14,857
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redkingirish View Post
    Paedophiles are most definately rapists in that non consensual/forced sex is rape. To prey on a minor/adolescent is wrong on every level. However, I do believe that a custodial sentence is not the simple answer to what is a physcological affliction. Incarceration will not change their persona or desires, merely delay the inevitable until their release into society. Surely in this age of advanced medicine and supposed counselling, some form of treatment should be devised to deter the convicted upon their release rather than the " off you go mate, times served " mentality which seems to prevail with no thought of preventative rehabilitation.
    x
    At the moment any help offered while serving a sentence is optional. It really should be compulsory.

    I would like to pull you up on one thing though. Being a paedophile does not mean you have raped anyone or have any intention of doing so. It does not mean that they act upon their desires. A lot of people fantasies about having sex with a Mother and Daughter or two Sisters, but they may never act upon their desire or have the opportunity.

    It is my feeling that anyone who is aware that they have abnormal desire for a child (which this is), then they should be able to ask for help without fear or imprisonment.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

    Redkingirish (25-11-14)

  17. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Belfast / Beal Feirste / Capital of Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,118
    Reviews
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    I've just been watching this on ch. 4.

    What I'm most surprised about is the fact that there is a blanket assumption that anyone who is attracted to children (paedophile) is a rapist. This also reminded me of the way the law will be going, which says anyone who pays for sex is a rapist.

    Here is the programme > Paedophile Next Door

    I can't understand why they think it is a radical idea to help someone who has acknowledged they are attracted to young children combat their desires and keep on the straight and narrow.

    One thing that did come to light that I did not understand before, is that a paedophile could easily be attracted to any female of any age, so they are not restricted to young people to have sexual desire and that in my mind makes it a lot easier to combat and distract from.

    What are your feelings on this topic? Please bear in mind that when the law changes and clause 6 is included, you will be tarred with the same brush as these people, so maybe time to take a little more time to understand how it must feel to be in that position, to be having the finger pointed at you, even when you would never dream of acting upon your desires and would never hurt someone or have sex without consent.

    Do we think too simplistically generally on sexual matters or should there be a blanket assumption that anyone who is a paedophile will offend and should be put in prison?
    I haven't seen the programme, but like most people I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of paedophilia, particularly as a parent.

    However, as with so many topics, sex work included, there is a simplistic rush to judgement on the issue. My dad grew up in an age where homosexuality and paedophilia were commonly conflated. Just a few weeks ago, we had an argument when he stated that ''homosexuals should never be allowed to work with children''. While this can be dismissed as the ramblings of an elderly man, this view was once commonly held and isn't far away from the current, often deliberate, ignorance on sex work.

    While in my opinion paedophilia is on a different plane entirely to homosexuality and sex work, in that it involves sex with minors unable to give consent, it's roots and reasons do need to be more clearly understood in the public arena.
    2014 in Northern Ireland:

    Number of reported attacks on sex workers 70

    Number of sex trafficking cases ZERO

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Davidontour For This Useful Post:

    Curvaceous Kate (26-11-14)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •