Thread: FIFA goal of the year

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default FIFA goal of the year

To all E-I members and guests I would like to ask you to vote for Stephanie Roche in FIFA's goal of the year competition

Article from RTE's sports page

Republic of Ireland international Stephanie Roche has beaten out the likes of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo to be nominated for the FIFA Puskás Award for the best goal of 2014.
    Roche is the only woman on the ten-person list for the prestigious award. She was recognised for her wonder-strike for former club Peamount United against Wexford Youths in the Bus Éireann Women's National League.
    Speaking to RTÉ Sport, Roche, who now plies her trade with French First Division club ASPTT Albi, said: "I am absolutely delighted to have been nominated for FIFA’s best goal of the year.
    "Obviously, it was a big surprise but it is a great boost, not only for myself, but for women’s football and particularly the Women’s National League. It’s a great feeling to see myself on the list."
    Among the others to make the grade are Robin Van Persie for his diving header for the Netherlands against Spain in the World Cup and James Rodriguez who is nominated for his stunning volley for Colombia against Uruguay.
    Roche hadn't been expecting to be considered for the award, despite the goal being an internet sensation with over 2.5million hits on YouTube.
    "The goal was in October last year and I had just been getting on with my career over here in France," said Roche. "Not that I’d forgotten about the goal but I had just stopped thinking about it.
    "Then to see on Twitter today that it was nominated for the Puskás Award is unbelievable, it’s a great achievement and I’m delighted."
    The ten nominees will be whittled down to a three-person shortlist on 1 December.
    "If it was any other Irish player I’d be voting for them and I’d be hoping I’d be getting support and I think I will because the support on Twitter in the last few hours has been unbelievable," added Roche.
    "I’m delighted to be named amongst those famous players and hopefully I can get into the top three."
    The prestigious award will be decided by a public vote with people able to make their selection here.
    The goal can be seen on RTE sports page

The rest are available to view on the FIFA youtube page
    Last edited by Johnboy2; 13-11-14 at 11:24.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnboy2 For This Useful Post:

joggon (02-12-14), The D Man (03-12-14)