Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ‘Anna’ Sex Slave or Sex Worker? Diid her 'story' influence clause 6 of Lord Morrow's

Reviews

I can just immagine the TORL types reading this and having a really good laugh.
    They know that Anna's story is not true and they know that we know. Even if the truth comes to light and everyone knows, it won't make any difference.
    The damage is done, injustice has prevailed, they will still get their money and status
    Mr Cuddles. everyone needs a cuddle

Blog Entries

I'm not so sure it's game over for ROI. What's required is a lot of highly visible campaigning specifically debunking the BS stats being bandied around over the last couple of days, such as 80 victims of trafficking.

Ruhama and TORL are relying on the indignation of ill informed people to get this law through, so we must make sure they ARE informed. I also think that the recent victory in Westminster has strengthened our position with a lot of feminists and academics furious that Fiona MacTaggart got as far as she did with that sneaky back door attempt at abolition. Calling out blatant lies is the way forward.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Laura Lee For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (09-11-14), Davidontour (08-11-14), dob (07-11-14), liffey (08-11-14), Mr Cuddles (07-11-14), The Equalizer (08-11-14), the traveller (07-11-14), Versace Targeryan (07-11-14)

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Lee View Post
    I'm not so sure it's game over for ROI. What's required is a lot of highly visible campaigning specifically debunking the BS stats being bandied around over the last couple of days, such as 80 victims of trafficking.

Ruhama and TORL are relying on the indignation of ill informed people to get this law through, so we must make sure they ARE informed. I also think that the recent victory in Westminster has strengthened our position with a lot of feminists and academics furious that Fiona MacTaggart got as far as she did with that sneaky back door attempt at abolition. Calling out blatant lies is the way forward.
    Don’ t you think this website tactic would be viewed as bullying a victim of trafficking because her story doesn’ t suit the tobl campaign for sex workers rights.
    Her story has many holes but this might be seen , or at least portrayed , as the pimp lobby harassing her and might alienate sex workers in the eyes of people and of law makers?
    Good luck with your campaigning. I admire your energy and out of respect for you spellchecked an tried to avoid txtspeak.
    Last edited by Versace Targeryan; 07-11-14 at 23:30.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Versace Targeryan For This Useful Post:

Laura Lee (08-11-14)

Reviews

The bottom line is that even if 'Anna's' story is proved to be 100% false, it won't reverse clause 6 in NI or alter thinking in ROI either.

Trafficking is merely a useful tool for those who wish (however naively) to stamp out prostitution. It's worth noting that trafficking wasn't even used as an excuse for the Swedish law back in 1999.

Morrow and his allies have known from the beginning that the Anna story had huge discrepancies and could have been torn apart at the Justice Commitee had the will been there. Fact is it wasn't and instead they chose to insult and harass a current sex worker who merely wished to tell the truth. The JC commitee chairman let the mask slip that day when he declared ''some of us don't need evidence.'' This charade has always been a foregone conclusion in search of validation and the truth has been a mere inconvenience to be swept under the carpet.

They do say the measure of a society is how it treats it's most vulnerable citizens. On that basis, NI has failed miserably and the ROI is set to do the same.
    2014 in Northern Ireland:

Number of reported attacks on sex workers 70

Number of sex trafficking cases ZERO

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Davidontour For This Useful Post:

Laura Lee (08-11-14), Mr Cuddles (08-11-14), the traveller (08-11-14)

8. Default

"Each generation thinks it invented sex; each generation is totally mistaken. Anything along that line today was commonplace both in Pompeii and in Victorian England; the differences lie only in the degree of cover up — if any." Robert A. Heinlein.
    Expose the truth, always.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to annkimsambidge For This Useful Post:

Laura Lee (08-11-14)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Versace Targeryan View Post
    Don’ t you think this website tactic would be viewed as bullying a victim of trafficking because her story doesn’ t suit the tobl campaign for sex workers rights.
    Her story has many holes but this might be seen , or at least portrayed , as the pimp lobby harassing her and might alienate sex workers in the eyes of people and of law makers?
    Good luck with your campaigning. I admire your energy and out of respect for you spellchecked an tried to avoid txtspeak.
    Thanks for your kind comments. Sorry, but I don't see it as bullying at all. Serious inconsistencies have been pointed out, and anyone who brings forward a story to the public eye can expect a healthy level of skepticism. It amuses me no end that it was deemed quite okay to tear me apart to a very personal level but if we so much as DARE question the veracity of a "survivor's" story, we're deemed The Devil Incarnate. It can't be one rule for them and one for us, that's not fair.

For the record, I didn't write that piece, but I did tweet it and got a barrage of grief thereafter.

Plus ça change, etc.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laura Lee For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (09-11-14), Davidontour (09-11-14), liffey (09-11-14)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by annkimsambidge View Post
    Expose the truth, always.
    Agree 100%. Remember when they wheeled out Justine Reilly as a survivor and she turned out to be a convicted pimp ?

Whoops.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laura Lee For This Useful Post:

Davidontour (09-11-14), liffey (09-11-14), The Libertarian (09-11-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Lee View Post
    Agree 100%. Remember when they wheeled out Justine Reilly as a survivor and she turned out to be a convicted pimp ?

Whoops.
    Why is it that that got very little publicity and didn't do their cause any harm?
    I would have thought that it would have been a bigger story
    Mr Cuddles. everyone needs a cuddle

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Cuddles For This Useful Post:

Laura Lee (09-11-14)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cuddles View Post
    Why is it that that got very little publicity and didn't do their cause any harm?
    I would have thought that it would have been a bigger story
    They have a degree of control over what the media reports in ROI, although that's about to change.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laura Lee For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (09-11-14), Davidontour (09-11-14), Mr Cuddles (09-11-14), The Libertarian (09-11-14)

Reviews

Ultimately no influence as 3 0f the parties (DUP, SDLP and SF) were hell set on introducing the insanity any way, it had as much influence as the wonderful genuine research done by QUB in the area which was bad mouthed by those redneck savages!
    Ride them on the beaches!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast