Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebola crisis: Nigeria set to be declared free of virus

Reviews

Default Ebola crisis: Nigeria set to be declared free of virus

Nigeria is expected to be declared officially free of Ebola on Monday, after six weeks with no new cases.

Africa's most populous country won praise for its swift response after an infected Liberian diplomat brought the disease there in July.

The World Health Organization officially declared Senegal Ebola-free on Friday.

The current outbreak has killed more than 4,500 people in West Africa, most in Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone

An estimated 70% of those infected have died in those countries.
    Quick, aggressive action

The World Health Organization can officially declare an Ebola outbreak over if two incubation periods of 21 days pass with no new cases.

The last reported case in Nigeria was discovered on 5 September.
    Nigeria is expected to be declared officially free of Ebola on Monday, after six weeks with no new cases.

Africa's most populous country won praise for its swift response after an infected Liberian diplomat brought the disease there in July.

The World Health Organization officially declared Senegal Ebola-free on Friday.

The current outbreak has killed more than 4,500 people in West Africa, most in Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone

An estimated 70% of those infected have died in those countries.
    Quick, aggressive action

The World Health Organization can officially declare an Ebola outbreak over if two incubation periods of 21 days pass with no new cases.

The last reported case in Nigeria was discovered on 5 September.

Source.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29685127

It good to see that a country that is in that area is apparently able to bring the outbreak under control. Hopefully other countries in the region can learn from Nigeria and use the same strategy.
    Last edited by justfrank44; 20-10-14 at 09:22.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justfrank44 For This Useful Post:

Blonde Alexa (20-10-14), warmcome (20-10-14)

Reviews

4. The Following User Says Thank You to warmcome For This Useful Post:

meath chap (20-10-14)

I think its bull, they need perple to travel there and I wouldn't belive one word from the Nigerian government.
    Who loves ya baby......!!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I think its bull, they need perple to travel there and I wouldn't belive one word from the Nigerian government.
    I can guarantee if a Ebola has gotten as far as the United States and Europe then I'm 100% certainty that Ebola has travelled as far as Nigeria and only public newspaper that states otherwise is telling lies, never believe the media.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman76 View Post
    I can guarantee if a Ebola has gotten as far as the United States and Europe then I'm 100% certainty that Ebola has travelled as far as Nigeria and only public newspaper that states otherwise is telling lies, never believe the media.
    Too right mate.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clyde For This Useful Post:

hitman76 (20-10-14)

Reviews

I know a couple going to Gambia next month , they are confident it's not there , I'm not so sure

Reviews

The statement was actually from the WHO.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to justfrank44 For This Useful Post:

Clyde (20-10-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ford pefect View Post
    I know a couple going to Gambia next month , they are confident it's not there , I'm not so sure
    waiting for that postcard?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to warmcome For This Useful Post:

ford pefect (20-10-14)

Quote Originally Posted by justfrank44 View Post
    The statement was actually from the WHO.
    Hopeflly but I have my doubts.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hitman76 View Post
    No-one said that it hadn't reached nigeria, but their response has apparrently halted its progress.As the article also says, senegal has halted the spread. It is probably niave to say the disease has been eradicated in those two countries, but the danger now is probably no higher now than it was before march.
    As for your remark about "and only public newspaper that states otherwise is telling lies, never believe the media. " The media are reporting what is being said on the WHO website. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/...tober-2014/en/
    Now , maybe the world health organisation is lying ( but probably not eh?)bv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast