Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scottish Independance - the Irish viewpoint??

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post
    Really? I have heard no commentary that the Scottish vote could divide along Protestant / Catholic lines. Just seems to be a non issue in the 21st century UK - excl NI obviously?
    I know! I was even more surprised that you. I happened to be over in Scotland at a (immigrant second generation Irish catholic) wedding and when I raised the question of independence, I was shocked that over 90% of those present were voting No. It was equally divided between financial reasons and a rather vague ill-defined expressed concern at possible discrimination! I was greatly surprised. However many said that they would never admit this openly and certainly not in public.

It will be a no vote, I think. It is a real pity in a way as an independent Scotland and Wales, coming together with the Republic of Ireland and NI, in whatever guise, coupled with the Channel islands, could create a truly balanced Council of the Isles. I(t would truly be a Council of Equals. We have so much more in common that could ever possibly divide us! But as matters stand, a United Kingdom, in its present form, would swamp the Republic in an mooted Council of the Isles. But people will (and are) getting scared and scare mongered as the 18th September approached and there will just be a hesitation that will tip the balance.

I am old enough to remember the concerns in 1989 that a reunited Germany would dominate Europe and the then EC - and it pretty much has come to pass.
    Last edited by willieh; 13-09-14 at 13:03.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123