Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puzzle #6

Reviews

Default Puzzle #6

If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Empirical View Post
    If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?
    Eh.....5 minutes!!

Reviews

5 minutes

Reviews

Next.........!

Reviews

An oldie, but a goldie!!!

Cannibals ambush a safari in the jungle and capture three men. The cannibals give the men a single chance to escape uneaten.

The captives are lined up in order of height, and are tied to stakes. The man in the rear can see the backs of his two friends, the man in the middle can see the back of the man in front, and the man in front cannot see anyone. The cannibals show the men five hats. Three of the hats are black and two of the hats are white.

Blindfolds are then placed over each man's eyes and a hat is placed on each man's head. The two hats left over are hidden. The blindfolds are then removed and it is said to the men that if one of them can guess what color hat he is wearing they can all leave unharmed.

The man in the rear who can see both of his friends' hats but not his own says, "I don't know". The middle man who can see the hat of the man in front, but not his own says, "I don't know". The front man who cannot see ANYBODY'S hat says "I know!"

How did he know the color of his hat and what color was it?

Reviews

Five Minutes...............................God be good to the old "Unity Method" taught in Primary school back in the................old days

How did he know the color of his hat and what color was it?
    Well the captive in the back didn't see two white hats or he would have known that he was wearing a black hat so he saw either two black hats or a black and a white hat. so he would have to say "I don't know. The middle man knows that from the first man's statement that his hat could be black (if the first man saw two black hats) or white (if he saw a black and white hat) so now the last man who cant see any hat knows that his must be black because the first man obviously didn't see two white hats, and the second man would have known his own was black if the the hat in front was white so it must be black.

I know that this doesn't sound clear.

It is the best I can do.

Magicman

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Magicman For This Useful Post:

jamieboyo (06-08-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Magicman View Post
    Five Minutes...............................God be good to the old "Unity Method" taught in Primary school back in the................old days

Well the captive in the back didn't see two white hats or he would have known that he was wearing a black hat so he saw either two black hats or a black and a white hat. so he would have to say "I don't know. The middle man knows that from the first man's statement that his hat could be black (if the first man saw two black hats) or white (if he saw a black and white hat) so now the last man who cant see any hat knows that his must be black because the first man obviously didn't see two white hats, and the second man would have known his own was black if the the hat in front was white so it must be black.

I know that this doesn't sound clear.

It is the best I can do.

Magicman
    Yes, you are right & I never thought the solution would be so difficult to put down on paper!!

But, here it goes....

The man in front knew he was wearing a black hat because he knew the first man did not see two white hats and he knew that the second man did not see one white hat because if he saw a white hat, the second man would have known that his hat was black from hearing the first man's statement.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post
    Next.........!
    Coming shortly; but do you recognise what these puzzles are from, and how many people answer them?

What's heavier... a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks?

Reviews

..if Jack's father was Paddy's brother, what was Jack to Paddy's mother??
    Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it. ~Søren Kierkegaard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast