Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TOP 5 Sportsmen Of All Time??

Top bloke.He really is a sportsman you can like

2. Default The guy who lies about his diet

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Westside would Michael Phelps not be a better example of a swimmer...And what Usain Bolt did during the summer was fairly spectacular
    in the hope that the others do the same thing and get winded? 17000 calories per day?Whatever.

Hes a fine swimmer but Spitz did the big one first and it took all these years to beat it.Same goes for Banisters 4 min mile.Lots of ppl did it,jesus i did it the other week when i saw an ex soon to be mother in law but Banister was the one who set the tempo and setting the tempo requires going into the unknown and that takes that extra bit of mentality.

Go to the unknown,The where?????
    Westside.

3. Default Very nice of you

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Top bloke.He really is a sportsman you can like
    Thanks for the compliment Poppy.

His head is in the right place,
    Westside.

Reviews

5. Martina Navratilova. She won 18 Grand slam singles titles, 31 Grand Slam women's doubles titles (an all-time record), and 10 Grand Slam mixed doubles titles. She reached the Wimbleton singles final 12 times, including 9 consecutive years from 1982 through 1990, and won the women's singles title at Wimbledon a record 9 times. Thanks Eps

4. Jack Nicklaus. Set the bar for Tiger to aim at. and did it against the calibre of golfer like Player, Palmer, Watson and Trevino. Woods beating flakey opponents like Mickleson, Els and Monty doesnt stack up. Maybe Harrington can make him work to win.

3. Eddy Merkcx. Set records that defied belief. Armstrong won more Tours de France but concentrated on one race a year. This pales when compared to the great Belgians achievements. Cycling Hall of Fame.com

2. Pele. No need to add to Eps bio.

1. Ali. Just the name says it all. THE one and only truly worldwide legend!

in no particular order

phil taylor - donald bradman - emil zapotek - pele - diego maradona

When Nelson Mandela was released after 27 years in prison, his first question to an Australian visitor was, "Is Sir Donald Bradman still alive?"
    Last edited by Alec Horan; 18-11-08 at 18:51.

Reviews

Phil Taylor! Higher up the list than Ali? Is the 12 time world cluedo champion allowed for consideration?

Default Best Sports Person

5 Muhammid Ali, Easily the best boxer that has ever Lived,You all know why. No need to go into the details
    4 Michael Schumacher, Top f1 driver by a mile, won gp's and titles that no other driver would have won in an equal car.
    3 Pele, Need i say more
    2 Bobby Fischer, Ok i know that this is a strange one but i am a huge chess fan and what this man achieved over a chess board has still not been surpassed. And for those of you who think that chess is not a sport then try training for an event for months, travelling the globe to various tournaments, and the mental strain that it takes is simply unreal. I know that his political views were dispicable but this poll is about sports alone.
    1 Eddy Merckx Again i confess to being a huge cycling fan so this was an easy choice for me, what this man achieved between 1964 - 1974 is beyond words, 5 tours de france, 3 tours of Italy,3 tours of spain, 3 world championships, add to this countless one day races, including 3 paris - roubaix, a one day race that normal athletes should not even consider attempting. I saw a few choices for Lance Armstrong and while i respect what he achieved after the cancer battle he went through lance was a 1 race a year man, he concentrated on the tour de france, Merckx won races from january to november year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue41 View Post
    Phil Taylor! Higher up the list than Ali? Is the 12 time world cluedo champion allowed for consideration?

Ali was a great self publicist - I'll give him that ; but Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest boxer ever.

Your somewhat facetious reference to Cluedo got me thinking there might be a place for Chess genius Bobby Fischer on this thread.

Phil Taylor ? Well I think if Jack Nicklaus/ Tiger Woods/ Michael Schumacher are worthy of inclusion then, quite frankly, Taylors record by comparison is far far superior to theirs in his own particular sport.

Nobody mentioned Henry Sheflin yet ?
    and what about Roger Federer ?

9. Default Ali is unreal

Quote Originally Posted by funnights74 View Post
    5 Muhammid Ali, Easily the best boxer that has ever Lived,You all know why. No need to go into the details
    4 Michael Schumacher, Top f1 driver by a mile, won gp's and titles that no other driver would have won in an equal car.
    3 Pele, Need i say more
    2 Bobby Fischer, Ok i know that this is a strange one but i am a huge chess fan and what this man achieved over a chess board has still not been surpassed. And for those of you who think that chess is not a sport then try training for an event for months, travelling the globe to various tournaments, and the mental strain that it takes is simply unreal. I know that his political views were dispicable but this poll is about sports alone.
    1 Eddy Merckx Again i confess to being a huge cycling fan so this was an easy choice for me, what this man achieved between 1964 - 1974 is beyond words, 5 tours de france, 3 tours of Italy,3 tours of spain, 3 world championships, add to this countless one day races, including 3 paris - roubaix, a one day race that normal athletes should not even consider attempting. I saw a few choices for Lance Armstrong and while i respect what he achieved after the cancer battle he went through lance was a 1 race a year man, he concentrated on the tour de france, Merckx won races from january to november year after year.
    If there is any human as close to God in terms of power its him.What i loved about Ali was not the way he won but the way is lost.If he lost ,no excuses,none,he just admitted being beaten by a better man on the day and came back to win next time.
    Do you know that this man,who has Parkinson Disease is still in the gym,still exercising and still htiing the bags.Yes still hitting the punchbag.Next time someone gives an excuse not to be able to do something they need only think of this.
    How many ppl would throw away the best part of their careers because they did not want to go against their beliefs.
    And it took the Olympic Committee thirty or so years to give him back his gold medal that he threw into the river again because of his beliefs.
    Ali stuck with his guns no matter what,always lost with dignity to come back and win like a true champ.Despite the fact that he is literally paralyised at times he still goes out of his way to help others.He is class from head to toe.

He has five wives too,
    Westside.

10. Default Didnt he star in batman?

Quote Originally Posted by alechoran View Post
    Jack Nicklaus
    Westside.......

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast