Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brutal Irish Immigration acts

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Secure

Quote Originally Posted by DollyDarling View Post
    Sorry Dolly afraid to open it my antivirus says the site is not secure

Not sure what that means
    I got a little box when I googled Irish immigration and clicked on this link, the little box came up and I opened it. Brought me into a forum based in Ireland mostly about political topics. Alot on immigration and deportation and police brutality. Not sure why it says not secure. Maybe because of the controversial topics. Id rather know then not know about what's happening in a corrupt government.

For those who dont want to open link:
    The story is about a refugee women who is in the waiting room at a deportation place in Ireland. She came over to Ireland with her husband and six children six years ago. But when a refugee child turns 19 they are subject to deportation. One of her sons was called in for deportation, and they sent him to some country with political violence and he was thrown in prison. They deported him from Ireland with no money, no clothes, nothing but the clothes on his back. So his mother went there very upset when she found out they were deporting him. She cried out "my son my son" and a guarda threw her up against the wall and put his hands on her throat and was almost choking her. Several other guards came in and tackled her on the floor. She developed bruises on her neck. And her son as I said was sent back to a dangerous country his parents had fled, and he was arrested. He was 19 and was deported without a chance to get money or pack his bags.

I understand that countries have a right to deport but to bring brutality and brute force on people is just shameful. To send them back to dangerous countries where they will be immediately arrested and tortured is shameful. To deport people not giving a chance to pack their bags or grab their money or anything is shameful. If they must deport, they should not use brutality, not send refugees back to a country they will be tortured, and give deportees a chance to pack a bag.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Citizen

The story is about a refugee women who is in the waiting room at a deportation place in Ireland. She came over to Ireland with her husband and six children six years ago. But when a refugee child turns 19 they are subject to deportation. One of her sons was called in for deportation, and they sent him to some country with political violence and he was thrown in prison. They deported him from Ireland with no money, no clothes, nothing but the clothes on his back. So his mother went there very upset when she found out they were deporting him. She cried out "my son my son" and a guarda threw her up against the wall and put his hands on her throat and was almost choking her. Several other guards came in and tackled her on the floor. She developed bruises on her neck. And her son as I said was sent back to a dangerous country his parents had fled, and he was arrested. He was 19 and was deported without a chance to get money or pack his bags.

I understand that countries have a right to deport but to bring brutality and brute force on people is just shameful. To send them back to dangerous countries where they will be immediately arrested and tortured is shameful. To deport people not giving a chance to pack their bags or grab their money or anything is shameful. If they must deport, they should not use brutality, not send refugees back to a country they will be tortured, and give deportees a chance to pack a bag.
    I dont understand that because if he is born in Ireland he is a citizen of Ireland and is entitled to stay what happened here a few years ago the law was changed that the parents could not stay which had been the case before.Up to that women were getting pregnant on purpose and once they had a child here they could apply to stay it had even got to the stage when women in the late stages of pregnancy were flying to ireland from england and having the baby here because they were then guarnteed they could stay. from a health point of view this was very dangerous as the hospitals here had no medical records etc of the womans pregnancy

I don't know Dolly. I think our immigration is too lax. evryone that comes in seems to be asylum seekers, yet pass through Germany, France or the Uk to get here. If a person is a genuine asylum seeker they should get all the help they need but everyone isn't. As for semding a child back once they reach 18, it is not fair on the child separating them from their family.

Reviews

I think that you have to be careful of one-sided stories like this. Whatever you may think about our police, they are not usually in the habit of attacking women especially in an area almost certainly covered by security cameras. Reading between the lines, this was a large and understandably agrieved woman who became belligerant and it took a number of police to subdue her. The sad fact is that every country with a reasonable welfare system has to exercise strict contols over immigration.
    Last edited by adogwithabone; 14-08-09 at 13:11.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    I dont understand that because if he is born in Ireland he is a citizen of Ireland and is entitled to stay what happened here a few years ago the law was changed that the parents could not stay which had been the case before.Up to that women were getting pregnant on purpose and once they had a child here they could apply to stay it had even got to the stage when women in the late stages of pregnancy were flying to ireland from england and having the baby here because they were then guarnteed they could stay. from a health point of view this was very dangerous as the hospitals here had no medical records etc of the womans pregnancy
    I'm not sure you got all the points in there Ber-- the section Dolly references says that the woman in this case came here 6 years ago with her kids and one of them was being deported on his 19th Birthday; he therefore was NOT born in Ireland, as they'd only been in the country for 6 years at the time.

And also, one thing for everyone invloved in the discussion must be aware of:

Ireland USED TO have the same citizenship policy as the United States, which was that anyone born in the U.S., even if neither of their parents were American citizens at the time of their birth, are automatically entitled to American citizenship, simply by the fact that they were born there. Ireland used to have the same policy. But if you all remember, Ireland had a Citizenship referendum back in 2003 or 2004, in which this provision was changed, so that Irish citizenship is ONLY given automatically to a child born in Ireland if at least ONE of the child's parents was/is an Irish Citizen at the time of the child's birth.

So Immigration policy in Ireland has become more protectionist than it used to be, and this went on while economic times were in a much better place. It was a pre-emptive move on the part of the government, as they knew the good times couldn't last forever. Draw whatever conclusions you wish regarding the need, effectiveness, or fairness of such policies and legislation, but that's where it stands at the moment. I'd never heard of a case quite like this; I'd believed that in the case like this, if the parents have been granted official status as refugees, that all of their children would automatically be granted refugee status as well. I haven't read the main article yet, but based on this bit of informationwe have, I assume that the family in question is still waiting for their hearing/ruling on whether or not they will be granted refugee status. And then there's to whole complication put into it stating that refugees have to technically apply for refugee status in the "first port of entry", which would be in the first E.U. country they landed in. A tough situation for sure, hard to know what's right...

Cable 87

Reviews

Indymedia is a website for the Irish left, from easy-going liberals, like this mouse, to full-on communists and social anarchist loonies. Balanced journalism is not the norm, I find, even though I'm on that site quite regularly.

Immigration is an awful thorny issue. I wish there was an easy way to help out the genuine refugees and send home the skivers, but Ireland in a recession is not really the land of a thousand welcomes to everyone and sundry anymore.

10. Default Irish born children

the child is Irish citizen if either of the parents has been Irish resident for last 3 years. This is to ensure that no illegal parent can use Irish born child as "anchor".
    it's better to be hated for who you are, than liked for what you're not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast