Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Receptionist Nicola Thorpe fired for not wearing high heels to work

Reviews

Default Receptionist Nicola Thorpe fired for not wearing high heels to work

I work in a very corporate environment and we were discussing this today. PwC sent receptionist Nicola Thorpe home because she refused to wear the 2 to 4 inch heels the dress code specified for women. They have since amended this to include smart flats. I was interested to see that the women I work with were more on the side of PwC than Nicola Thorpe while the men were fairly evenly split. I'd be interested in the thoughts of posters here.
    This is the story
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world...ersy-1.2644373
    and here is an opinion piece which closely reflects what most of my female colleagues thought. Essentially, their high heels were part of their everyday professional armour for them, in the same way that suits are for the guys. One's appearance lends an air of authority and competence and is a reflection of the corporation's brand.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a7028676.html

Reviews

If I wore my high heels to work,,,,,,,, I would be fired.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ripvanwinkle1 For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ripvanwinkle1 View Post
    If I wore my high heels to work,,,,,,,, I would be fired.
    Do you work as a human cannonball?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky Panky For This Useful Post:

Dalton23 (14-05-16)

Reviews

I think whoever decided that female employee's should have to wear 2 to 4 inch heels should have been working instead of dreaming up stupid rules.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolverine For This Useful Post:

Floki (14-05-16)

Reviews

Whatever cunt-tards 1) made up that stupid uniform rule and 2) sent her home deserve at the very least to be forced to run from a tiger whilst wearing the most uncomfortable pair of heels ever designed.

It's 2016 and shit like this is happens. Can I please be transported off this fucking rock of barbaric twats? PLEASE? Intelligent species my big fat hairy hole.
    Don't discriminate. Hate EVERYONE equally!

As good old Benny once said: "Peace on earth and goodwill to all men and women..... and LDM"

LDM reserves the right to hijack all threads and call everyone a cunt!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    I think whoever decided that female employee's should have to wear 2 to 4 inch heels should have been working instead of dreaming up stupid rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by ladiesman217 View Post
    Whatever cunt-tards 1) made up that stupid uniform rule and 2) sent her home deserve at the very least to be forced to run from a tiger whilst wearing the most uncomfortable pair of heels ever designed.

It's 2016 and shit like this is happens. Can I please be transported off this fucking rock of barbaric twats? PLEASE? Intelligent species my big fat hairy hole.
    Thanks guys. Do you think the men at these corporations should be requires to wear a suit and tie then?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky Panky View Post
    Thanks guys. Do you think the men at these corporations should be requires to wear a suit and tie then?
    They should be made to follow the Mick Wallace dress code and made to wear heels.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Shalom/salaam.
    10,000 years of Middle Eastern civilisation and the place is not at peace but rather in pieces.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alcatel For This Useful Post:

Wolverine (13-05-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by alcatel View Post
    They should be made to follow the Mick Wallace dress code and made to wear heels.
    Or Bono

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky Panky View Post
    I think there should be a set unisexual uniform (within reason of course) in jobs where no personal protective equipment is required and that said uniforms must be suitably comfortable for all involved. To actually have a uniform policy that states that high heels must be worn for women is disgraceful in my honest opinion. Do men have to wear these heels? No? Then as far as I'm concerned it's sexist. These women should have an equal right to wear flat soled shoes just as the men are required to wear.

AS for your question: suits can be worn by both men and women. High heels however are generally female only and therein lies my problem with this case. If a woman is comfortable wearing high heels for 8 odd hours a day on the job, fine. However if a woman is not physically comfortable wearing same, then she should have the option to wear flat shoes if she so wishes.

I'm reading through this again and just wondering whether I've actually made sense or not... it's quite warm and the heat generally makes me think less quickly.
    Last edited by ladiesman217; 13-05-16 at 21:46.
    Don't discriminate. Hate EVERYONE equally!

As good old Benny once said: "Peace on earth and goodwill to all men and women..... and LDM"

LDM reserves the right to hijack all threads and call everyone a cunt!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ladiesman217 For This Useful Post:

ShadowEmpress (14-05-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ladiesman217 View Post
    I think there should be a set unisexual uniform (within reason of course) in jobs where no personal protective equipment is required and that said uniforms must be suitably comfortable for all involved. To actually have a uniform policy that states that high heels must be worn for women is disgraceful in my honest opinion. Do men have to wear these heels? No? Then as far as I'm concerned it's sexist. These women should have an equal right to wear flat soled shoes just as the men are required to wear.

AS for your question: suits can be worn by both men and women. High heels however are generally female only and therein lies my problem with this case. If a woman is comfortable wearing high heels for 8 odd hours a day on the job, fine. However if a woman is not physically comfortable wearing same, then she should have the option to wear flat shoes if she so wishes.

I'm reading through this again and just wondering whether I've actually made sense or not... it's quite warm and the heat generally makes me think less quickly.
    Those were my thoughts on the subject too and of my male colleagues who were discussing it. Interestingly, or maybe not it was mostly my female colleagues who felt PwC was fully within its rights to be able to specify that heels be worn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast