Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disco Breathalyser

Reviews

Default Disco Breathalyser

From todays Irish Examiner

CHILDREN attending a teenage disco are to be breathalysed in an effort to stamp out drinking among young people attending the event.

A voluntary group which organises the disco said it was being forced to take the unprecedented step because it estimated at least one in 10 children trying to get into the event have drink taken.

The breathalyser scheme will be introduced next month at the Town Hall disco in Mitchelstown, Co. Cork.

The disco normally caters for more than 100 youngsters aged 13 to 17.

Event organiser Justin Finn said "a lot of hassle" had been caused recently by drunk teenagers who had attended the discos.

"We’re having to do this out of necessity. There is so much underage drinking going on something had to be done," he said.

The organisers are buying their own €80 breathalyser over the internet and intend to deploy it at the pre-Christmas disco.

Mr Finn said it was often quite difficult to identify children who had consumed alcohol.

Many will drink spirits just a few minutes before queuing and don’t appear drunk until later on when they are inside. Others try and disguise the smell with chewing gum.

Mr Finn said extra security staff would be employed at the discos in future and they would be trained to look for tell-tale signs.

"If we think a teenager has drink taken we will ask them to blow into the breathalyser. We can’t force them to do it, but if they refuse we will not allow admission," he said.

Mr Finn added that allowing drunk teenagers into the disco could have insurance implications.

"If they are drunk and they get hurt inside the insurance companies may decide not to pay out," Mr Finn said.

He said underage drinking was a nationwide problem and he could see the organisers of other teenage discos taking up the idea.

A senior Garda source confirmed that there had been issues with underage drinking in the town.

He said parents had a responsibility to ensure their children didn’t have access to alcohol.

Is this a good idea or not?
    The Truth is out there.

Reviews

Default Whats New ?

-- Westcorklad, this has been happening in your West Cork hometown for a while now.
    Foroige have been enforcing a Breath smell test (what a job) = Alcohol and you dont get in,
    Mints and you are deemed under suspicion and watched closely .--
    There has been a problem with Polish lads selling cheap Vodka to the Youths en route to the clubs.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LLAMEDOS View Post
    -- Westcorklad, this has been happening in your West Cork hometown for a while now.
    Foroige have been enforcing a Breath smell test (what a job) = Alcohol and you dont get in,
    Mints and you are deemed under suspicion and watched closely .--
    There has been a problem with Polish lads selling cheap Vodka to the Youths en route to the clubs.
    I know it has been happening near where I live.
    The question I asked is whether it is a good idea or not.
    Personally I think it is too early to know for sure.
    The Truth is out there.

Reviews

how you gonna get punt money now wcl
    mam mammy mam mam mam mammy

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by WD-40 View Post
    how you gonna get punt money now wcl
    I heard you are good for a loan.
    The Truth is out there.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by westcorklad View Post
    i heard you are good for a loan.
    im good for nothing,except lubrication.anyway you punt to much maybe its for the best.give the old boy a break.or maybe you cud just sell smokeS to them now
    mam mammy mam mam mam mammy

Reviews

Drunk 13 year olds. I took my first drink of Jameson at thirteen and thought I was going to die.

Drunk 13 year olds. Heh heh heh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Drunk 13 year olds. I took my first drink of Jameson at thirteen and thought I was going to die.

we should be introducing our kids to the experience of drinking at a young age. The reason we as a nation have this crazy attitude to drink is because

(a) it is demonised
    (b) it is restricted
    (c) it is taxed to the hilt (making it a snob value good)

if we took a more european approach to drink i think it would pay dividends, long term

it's crazy kids can fuck at 16/17 but have to wait until 18 to drink

let them buy wine at 15 beer at 16 and spirits at 18

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually mousey if you were the father of one of these drunk 13 year olds I dont think you would find it so funny.
    The Truth is out there.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by westcorklad View Post
    Actually mousey if you were the father of one of these drunk 13 year olds I dont think you would find it so funny.
    Too right I wouldn't!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast