Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A disgrace

Blog Entries

Default A disgrace

I went into a shop today and glanced at the irish examiner.On the front captioned "two sporting greats" we have a pic of Mohomad Ali and Pa McGrath.For christs sake who publishes this rubbish?how could you possibly compare a man who many would argue as the greatest sportsman ever with a guy who doesnt come even close to being the greatest in his sport.Ok he was a great full back or whatever.To have guy like this under the same caption as Ali is a disgrace.

Westside.

Blog Entries

Default On a different stage.......

Although Ali is a sporting great on a world stage I'm sure to the people in his parish Pa McGrath is also a sporting great..........
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

Your right westie - a joke it is but not for the reasons you may think.

Football is the greatest sport on Earth played by millions and millions therefore Paul McGrath had some serious competition.

Boxing is a minority sport even amongst minority sports. Only because of an American hegemony do we even know who Mr Ali was. A sport for the American downtrodden. Football a sport for the downtrodden on every single part of the planet.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    I went into a shop today and glanced at the irish examiner.On the front captioned "two sporting greats" we have a pic of Mohomad Ali and Pa McGrath.For christs sake who publishes this rubbish?how could you possibly compare a man who many would argue as the greatest sportsman ever with a guy who doesnt come even close to being the greatest in his sport.Ok he was a great full back or whatever.To have guy like this under the same caption as Ali is a disgrace.

Westside.
    I have to tell you a little story. I got lost in Mombassa (Kenya) a few years back. Had had a couple of drinks and, stupidly, wandered off the tourist tracks. In no time I was deep in indian country, a real slum area, with some less than friendly looking natives circling. I got a hostile "where ya from" from one of the guys who was carrying a stick. Not wanting to show any fear, I immediately piped up "hi, I am from Dublin, Ireland". As soon as they heard this the four or five guys around me, immediately and in unison, started singing "ooh, aah, Paul McGrath, ooh, aah, Paul McGrath" I do not think that I have ever been more stunned in my entire life. These guys could then not do enough for a "friend" of Paul McGrath. You may not think of him as a sporting great but there are some who might disagree

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by adogwithabone View Post
    I have to tell you a little story. I got lost in Mombassa (Kenya) a few years back. Had had a couple of drinks and, stupidly, wandered off the tourist tracks. In no time I was deep in indian country, a real slum area, with some less than friendly looking natives circling. I got a hostile "where ya from" from one of the guys who was carrying a stick. Not wanting to show any fear, I immediately piped up "hi, I am from Dublin, Ireland". As soon as they heard this the four or five guys around me, immediately and in unison, started singing "ooh, aah, Paul McGrath, ooh, aah, Paul McGrath" I do not think that I have ever been more stunned in my entire life. These guys could then not do enough for a "friend" of Paul McGrath. You may not think of him as a sporting great but there are some who might disagree

nice story.......................

nbt

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by alechoran View Post

Football is the greatest sport on Earth played by millions and millions therefore Paul McGrath had some serious competition.

Boxing is a minority sport even amongst minority sports. Only because of an American hegemony do we even know who Mr Ali was. A sport for the American downtrodden. Football a sport for the downtrodden on every single part of the planet.
    You should who Mr. Ali was Alec, you must have watched all his fights live.

YouTube - Muhammad Ali - Black Superman
    Once a prick - always a prick.

Reviews

Why shouldent 2 giants of their sports get a co mention.
    Heres another one. Jessie Owens.
    ”The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.”

Blog Entries

Default Because

Quote Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
    Why shouldent 2 giants of their sports get a co mention.
    Heres another one. Jessie Owens.
    McGrath wasnt a giant in his sport.I dont even follow soccer and even i know that although McGrath was considered a great full back ,he is nowhere near Pele,Best,Eusebio,Zico,Maradonna,Mattews,Moore,Bekenbar (spelling).There have being loads of soccer players better than McGrath but Ali?A man who beat the best in the most competitive era of his sport and not only that but had plenty of excuses for his losses but gave credit where it was due and came back and won again.

One guy destroyed his career with alcohol,the other guy struck down with Parkinson disease and still trains in the gym (or at least up to not long ago.)

Comparing a local hero with an absolute legend and one of the greatest human beings that walked this planet is a disgrace.

Westside.

Blog Entries

Default Everybody heard of Ali

Quote Originally Posted by alechoran View Post

in all countries throughout the world.Not only is he a sporting legend but he is a legend period.He jeoparised his best boxing days because he would not give up his values for a war.He stood up for black ppls rights.The man is incomparable in my mind.

Westside.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Maybe...

Eusebio once was asked who did he think was the best defender and he said McGrath. I know his boozing caused all sorts of problems, but I think it's amazing McGrath achieved what he did in spite of it - and the fact that everybody still respects him. If soccer players were as rare as boxers, Mc Grath maybe would be considered one of the greats. But still, not as great as Ali.
    (I'd have a lot more respect for Paul than the likes of that tosser becks or ronaldo!)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast