Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did You Ever Save A Stranger's Life?

Reviews

Default Did You Ever Save A Stranger's Life?

More accurately in my case stop a stranger trying to take their life! I was up in the capital for The Gibraltar game, which was on the day of the first major water charges march. I wasn't up for the march, but was amazed at the size of it and became enthused and a massive active supporter since! Because the march was on, The Quays and O'Connell street were closed to traffic. At around 3pm, I headed towards LIDL on Moore Street, to get some smoked trout, they had none left Where I live. I walked across the Quays to get to the Haypenny Bridge, across from the old Virgin Mega store. there were no cars around and no shoppers, even though it was 3pm Saturday. About 150 yards ahead of me, I saw what seemed like a foreign couple having a lovers' tiff, there was also a tall skanger junkie ahead of me, so I paid no attention.
    All of a sudden the woman in her 30s runs towards the Quays wall and tries to throw herself in! The lad, who is Italian, I think she might be Slavic, stops her and pulls her back.
    Because he's Italian and coming from a civilized society, he obviously does not have sufficient nous to know that she has to be restrained, he lets her go and she immediately tries it again. But this time she fucks her handbag in first, which the skanger was particularly interested in, then she is sitting on the wall, turning, determined to go in, it's a small wall but a big drop! He seems to be engaging in some philosophical debate while trying to hold her hand, 'no, no!'
    I sprinted the 50 yards down to her and literally lifted her off the wall, swung her around and put her lying on the ground staring up at the sky! No words were exchanged between me and her!
    The Italian says there is no Garda around, I tell him they're on O'Connell Bridge and to make sure he retrains her and I will get them! I walked up to the bridge and told one of the Guards, who walked down with me and he actually ran, when he saw her now sitting up against the wall with a few eejits around her!
    I walked down, the Italian, thanked me for my help, I gave him a manly tap on the shoulder and walked on! I don't think they were a couple and there was no doubt it wasn't drama queen stuff!
    They had no smoked trout left in LIDL when I got there!
    A few observations -
    I was so adrenalated, she, even though she was about 10 stone, was as light as a feather
    Not a single word was spoken between us
    When something like this happens, it will be when You least expect it
    You will never know the backstory
    While any amount of people could have done as well as I did, nobody could have done better!
    I have never lay on the foothpath so being place there by a wild Irish man must have had some disorientating psychological shock effect on her, good in this case!
    Why the fuck would somebody intent on killing herself bring her handbag with her, maybe trying to eliminate all traces of herself
    I think she needs to thank the Patrician Brothers for her deliverance as they showed me by example that insane people do insane things on a whim, so I would realize that a person in her state would have to be restrained, which The Italian lad did not!
    Ride them on the beaches!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Libertarian For This Useful Post:

curvyirishgirl katie (21-12-14), Stephanie (20-12-14)

Reviews

Yes, twice. Both female. One aged about six who ran right in front of my car as she was chasing a ball. The other was about 23. As we stepped out of the shower, she choked on a breath mint and was dying in front of me until I managed to dislodge it from her windpipe.

Reviews

On holiday a little girl about three was watching her sister play in the pool. As my wife called me to watch out for the girl she ran and jumped in the pool. Straight to the bottom, I swam over as fast as I could and dived down n pulled her up. Worst thing was as I was carrying her out of the pool her Mum looked up from her book and give me a look that could kill until it was explained to her that I had just saved her little girl from drowning.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dutch1968 For This Useful Post:

alverton04 (21-12-14)

Blog Entries

Twice. Both times the river and I am not doing it again.

Westside.

Reviews

Yes. It was called work.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empirical For This Useful Post:

liffey (20-12-14)

Reviews

And we are the quality of people in a different aspect of our lives (while engaging with other consenting adults) that some of the biggest gobshites, God ever put in earth, are trying to criminalise!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Libertarian For This Useful Post:

Dutch1968 (22-12-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Empirical View Post
    Yes. It was called work.
    Well done, but if you are part of the emergency services, you are specifically trained for this and in Ireland, exceptionally well paid!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    Twice. Both times the river and I am not doing it again.

Westside.
    It's extremely difficult to do, if as seems to be in these cases, you could actually lose your own life by doing it!

Pulled an itinarent kid from a burning car once outside a Garda barracks. Gardai had taken the family in for questioning, and left the kid in the car with a box of matches.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by The Libertarian View Post
    Well done, but if you are part of the emergency services, you are specifically trained for this and in Ireland, exceptionally well paid!
    And worth every cent.

They also have to risk their lives from time to time, and see things that most of us would rather not, so there's that.

(Unlike many many people in this fucking dump of a country.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast