Thread: In Private browsing

Reviews

Default In Private browsing

I recently got a new lap top and have this function called In Private Browsing.

I know what is does and the benefits of it but do any of you whizz kids tell me know if it really is as safe as it seems.
    Surely the browsing history must be stored somewhere on the pc.

Anyone any info on this.

Reviews

It is stored on the PC. What this does it make it a little bit more difficult to see where you have been, however not much more difficult. Besides, your ISP can always track it down if needs be.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to corkpunter For This Useful Post:

mr maxi (27-06-10)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mr maxi View Post
    I recently got a new lap top and have this function called In Private Browsing.

I know what is does and the benefits of it but do any of you whizz kids tell me know if it really is as safe as it seems.
    Surely the browsing history must be stored somewhere on the pc.

Anyone any info on this.
    What is InPrivate Browsing?

According to the above:

With InPrivate browsing cookies are only stored in memory so there will be no trace of them on your hard disk.
    Temporary web pages are stored on disk but are deleted when the browser is closed.

I use Firefox Private Browsing meself.

Jimbob

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jimbobbins For This Useful Post:

mr maxi (27-06-10)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobbins View Post
    What is InPrivate Browsing?

According to the above:

With InPrivate browsing cookies are only stored in memory so there will be no trace of them on your hard disk.
    Temporary web pages are stored on disk but are deleted when the browser is closed.

I use Firefox Private Browsing meself.

Jimbob
    They're deleted if the browser exists normally. If it crashes then they will probably still be there. Safari is more sensible and doesn't write them to disk at all. I just tested Firefox and it doesn't write cached pages to disk in private mode, but it records the page you were looking at in the crash report if the browser crashes. So I wouldn't really trust IE at all or Firefox very much on this. I think Opera is more sensible and doesn't write to disk, but I haven't checked that. Opera private browsing is on or off for each tab or window separately. Whether you think this is a bug or feature depends on what you want. I think it's a pain, because you could easily forget to make a tab private.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to El Gordo For This Useful Post:

jimbobbins (28-06-10)

Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    They're deleted if the browser exists normally. If it crashes then they will probably still be there. Safari is more sensible and doesn't write them to disk at all. I just tested Firefox and it doesn't write cached pages to disk in private mode, but it records the page you were looking at in the crash report if the browser crashes. So I wouldn't really trust IE at all or Firefox very much on this. I think Opera is more sensible and doesn't write to disk, but I haven't checked that. Opera private browsing is on or off for each tab or window separately. Whether you think this is a bug or feature depends on what you want. I think it's a pain, because you could easily forget to make a tab private.
    i love this thread...if it were in hebrew i would understand just as much of it...im lost...

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by benin View Post
    i love this thread...if it were in hebrew i would understand just as much of it...im lost...
    Sorry. Here's the executive summary:
    Internet Exploder with private browsing is better than without, but still not very safe.
    Firefox, Opera and Safari are better, but none of them is perfect.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to El Gordo For This Useful Post:

benin (28-06-10)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    Sorry. Here's the executive summary:
    Internet Exploder with private browsing is better than without, but still not very safe.
    Firefox, Opera and Safari are better, but none of them is perfect.
    Yeah you are right all are subsestible to viruses i am afraid.I tend to delete my browsing history but seeing as i have my own pc this might not work as easily for some that would be sharing a computer.
    I have lived a life of regrets.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

By the way, it's not just people who have physical access to your computer that you need to worry about. Pretty much anyone can read your browser history if they know what they are doing. Check out this site.

Reviews

Deleting your browser history will not work download CCleaner its free to download and wipes free space. If something is deleted from your computer its still there waiting to be writen over CCleaner wipes this.
    CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.
    Last edited by dark-knight; 28-06-10 at 21:15.