Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got a new job recently............

Reviews

Default I got a new job recently............

Hi folks. So yeah i got a new job about 5 weeks ago, haven't been on in ages as a result, it is in a shop/small supermarket. I'd just like to get your advice and opinions on a few things.

Firstly, if what i know is right, the current minimum wage is €8.65 per hour, although i, and the other staff, only get paid €8.40 an hour. Is this against the law or is it not?

Also, for working on both Sundays and on Bank Holidays, we get paid the normal rate of €8.40 an hour, yes even on Bank Holidays as well as Sundays! I've heard that this is down to the discretion of the owner of what they wish to pay you, whether they choose to pay you more for Sundays and/or bank holidays. I don't want to give away the name of the place but there are many of these shope around the country, loads of them, but i was talking to a girl who works in another shop/mini supermarket of the same name, and she told me that she gets paid time & a third for working sundays and bank holidays, which is good enough. In my last job, which was very similar only in a bigger supermarket, we got paid time & a half for both sundays & bank holidays.

Plus the owner (not the store manager as she is lovely) but the owner who is there every day of the week, is a complete thick ignorant b**tard, she always finds something to give out to people for. There are other things which i could say about the shop which are wrong but i won't.

But could people please tell me if it is against the law to pay staff minimum wage or not, and if so how is she able to get away with it? I was unemplyed for a long time so i don't want to start any trouble as any job is a job for me right now.
    Also if there is any legal requirement of paying staff more money for working on sundays and/or bank holidays (i work mostly in the stockroom and packing shelves on the shop floor).

Cheers everyone.

Reviews

not sure about the law regarding working weekends bank holidays ect
    there must be some information online regarding minuminum wage ect

but congratulations on the new job
    Last edited by 69patrick69; 22-10-10 at 19:55. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

Have a read of this.........

Minimum rates of pay in Ireland-Information from CitizensInformation.ie

The €8.65 per hour is not into the hand pay..........
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Stewart View Post
    Hi folks. So yeah i got a new job about 5 weeks ago, haven't been on in ages as a result, it is in a shop/small supermarket. I'd just like to get your advice and opinions on a few things.

Firstly, if what i know is right, the current minimum wage is €8.65 per hour, although i, and the other staff, only get paid €8.40 an hour. Is this against the law or is it not?

Also, for working on both Sundays and on Bank Holidays, we get paid the normal rate of €8.40 an hour, yes even on Bank Holidays as well as Sundays! I've heard that this is down to the discretion of the owner of what they wish to pay you, whether they choose to pay you more for Sundays and/or bank holidays. I don't want to give away the name of the place but there are many of these shope around the country, loads of them, but i was talking to a girl who works in another shop/mini supermarket of the same name, and she told me that she gets paid time & a third for working sundays and bank holidays, which is good enough. In my last job, which was very similar only in a bigger supermarket, we got paid time & a half for both sundays & bank holidays.

Plus the owner (not the store manager as she is lovely) but the owner who is there every day of the week, is a complete thick ignorant b**tard, she always finds something to give out to people for. There are other things which i could say about the shop which are wrong but i won't.

But could people please tell me if it is against the law to pay staff minimum wage or not, and if so how is she able to get away with it? I was unemplyed for a long time so i don't want to start any trouble as any job is a job for me right now.
    Also if there is any legal requirement of paying staff more money for working on sundays and/or bank holidays (i work mostly in the stockroom and packing shelves on the shop floor).

Cheers everyone.
    You are automatically entitled to the minimum rate of €8.65 per hour once you have been working for two years at any time over the age of 18. This is how you qualify for it so im guessing that its law.

Unfortunately its an employer market 100% now,
    Westside.

Blog Entries

This is where some of your money is going.......

PRSI contributions.
    If you earn €352 or less per week, you pay none. Your employer has to pay the employer's portion and you are covered for all benefits. If you earn over €352 per week, you pay nil on the first €127 and 4% on the rest (up to a maximum weekly wage of €975). If you earn over €500 per week, you pay an additional 2% Health Contribution on all earnings up to €1925 per week. Medical Card holders, and people on State Pension (Widow's/Widower's) and One-Parent Family Payment, do not have to pay the Health Contribution.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Cheers everyone.

You should get in touch with NERA. They will make sure your employer is compliant with all aspects of your employee rights, including rates of pay, holidays, bank holidays and overtime. www.employmentrights.ie

Btw, how's the commute working out?
    Last edited by Forrest; 22-10-10 at 22:59.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady
    Sexy, Wicked, Enticing, Erotic, Tease

Reviews

Employers market, If you don't like it leave is the answer you'll get.

Reviews

Thanks for the replies lads.

A Lithuanian lady who started working there about 3 weeks ago left in Saturday, because she was getting paid under the wage, she said to the boss that that was against the law to pay under the legal requirement of pay to workers, the boss said "Well you have the job, if you leave its your own choice, i have plenty of other staff who i can call now and they would jump at the chance to start in the morning"

Blog Entries

A Lithuanian lady who started working there about 3 weeks ago left in Saturday, because she was getting paid under the wage, she said to the boss that that was against the law to pay under the legal requirement of pay to workers, the boss said "Well you have the job, if you leave its your own choice, i have plenty of other staff who i can call now and they would jump at the chance to start in the morning"
    He would be walloped at an Employment Tribunal for that.

Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 24-10-10 at 14:37.

Reviews

This is the problem at the moment. So many people unemployed the employer thinks they can treat people the way they want. Recently in my job i heard one of the managers saying to an employee if i had my way id get rid of the lot of you. Arrogant little shit. What they can pay and the way they speak to employees these days are disgraceful. I also find the union well the one im in anyway a complete waste of time.
    “Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same”
    Alan Ball

Justice For The 96

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast