Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asking for a rematch is stupid.

Default Asking for a rematch is stupid.

Ireland are just embarrassing themselves by going for this.

Minister of Justice Dermot Ahern was on CNN today and it was really pathetic to see him moaning on about it. It's embarrassing to Ireland, Brian Cowen is making a fool of himself. They're a disgrace to the people of Ireland on an international level. Sure, we're getting our time in the limelight, something unfair happened to us. But at the end of the day it's just bad referreeing, we don't have to get so volatile about it and cause an international incident.... involving our government, getting Cowen to talk to Sarkozy and maybe he'd let us replay the match, what a joke.

The only person that was decently persuasive and said the right things was John Delaney. He's a good speaker and an intelligent man, he talked about the "protect the integrity of the game" and FIFA's fair play motto etc. but he himself knew it was all bullshit.

The only other time it ever happened that a match was replayed was for a technical fault where the referree didn't know the RULES.

John Delaney had to go back to a game from Arsenal and Sheffield United (not even Sheffield Wednesday) from years ago to find a rematch in any way similar. The reason the match was replayed was because Arsenal knew they would blow them away the second time and wanted to make it up to their fans so they agreed to it!!!! To think that the French FA might agree with it is lunatic asylum stuff in the extreme.

Trapattoni at the press conference today was very down, he was grieving, and to have this stupid bullshit thrown at him, an elderly man near the end of his life and career, is cruelty in the extreme. He struck me today as like the head of a group of under 10s or something after they had lost a match after a bad decision. And a couple of the under 10s running up to him and saying "hey, what do you think??? maybe we can replay the match??? omg yes, maybe we can, can we? can we? can we????".... and him shaking his head sadly and saying... "errr.... noooo..... that's impossible".

To protect the integrity of soccer they SHOULD NOT have a rematch. Having a rematch is what would be a FIX. I hope they have a rematch... they won't.... but it would be stupid for soccer if they did.

And to say that Henry did something wrong is one of the most fucking retarded things I have ever heard in my life!!! It's his JOB to get away with what he can. That's his OBJECTIVE. That's what players do, they try to get away with all they can.

Henry "chanced his arm" yesterday, and he got away with it. He cheated, but there was a certain skill in it. He had to be extremely shrewd to do it. It's hard for Ireland.... but it worked. That's why video-refereeing isn't implemented.... because it would finish all the "gamesmanship" and the notorious diving incidents etc. That's a part of the game as well, getting away with what you can. Video referreeing would do away with all of that... I think it would be for the better but there's the flip side of it as well. You'd never see another dive in your life.
    Last edited by nicegirlsarenice; 19-11-09 at 19:55.

Reviews

its pretty embarrasing when you think about it.. i was listening to John Delaney of the FAI on Newstalk, and he was saying that they have written to the french fa looking for a rematch.. can you imagine the french pissing themselves laughing at that letter ?

we need to move on..

Quote Originally Posted by ploy26p View Post
    its pretty embarrasing when you think about it.. i was listening to John Delaney of the FAI on Newstalk, and he was saying that they have written to the french fa looking for a rematch.. can you imagine the french pissing themselves laughing at that letter ?

we need to move on..
    lol... I can only imagine.

Thierry Henry himself actually started laughing when he was asked by a reporter if he told the referree he handled the ball. It's so ridiculous, like he is really going to go up to the referree and say that, come on!!!! John Delaney talking about how Henry looked despondant after the goal as if he had "done a bad thing".... and how the Irish fans were so well behaved. But again, I think John Delaney probably didn't like to wake up to this nonsense about a rematch in the morning and it wasn't his fault he had to say that sort of thing.

In fairness to ourselves though, imagine if it had been England who had been let out like that. There'd be World War 3 started in Paris last night!!!
    Last edited by nicegirlsarenice; 19-11-09 at 20:05.

4. Default

Delaney looked angry becaused no hoilday to south africa next year and miss out on 20 million

Quote Originally Posted by nicegirlsarenice View Post

Trapattoni at the press conference today was very down, he was grieving, and to have this stupid bullshit thrown at him, an elderly man near the end of his life and career, is cruelty in the extreme. He struck me today as like the head of a group of under 10s or something after they had lost a match after a bad decision. And a couple of the under 10s running up to him and saying "hey, what do you think??? maybe we can replay the match??? omg yes, maybe we can, can we? can we? can we????".... and him shaking his head sadly and saying... "errr.... noooo..... that's impossible".
    Trapattoni may be at "the end of his life and career" but the FAI are paying the guy 2 million a year to do a job. And a fairly part time job at that.

His job had a simple brief get Ireland to South Africa in 2010.

The guy has failed in what was expected of him.

Ireland played great last night, which begs a question why did they not play like that for previous matches ?

Simple Trapattoni had them playing a defensive cautious game and the strategy did not pay off.
    Last night they had nothing to lose by putting on a great offensive performance.

We should have had the group sewn up matches ago and not be depending on a decision about a hand ball in Paris

As far as I am concerned Trapattoni can join that other muppet Staunton on the dole queue.

Bring back Jack !!!

Reviews

ha ha bring back jack.. shag that.. why not bring back the scientific mind of Steve Staunton ??? he never got a fair crack of the whip.. he was ahead of his time with tactics and team selection.. oh how i would have loved to have been in the dressing room while he got the troops going with one of his wonderfully eloquent speechs. so inspiring

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lordjohn View Post
    Trapattoni may be at "the end of his life and career" but the FAI are paying the guy 2 million a year to do a job. And a fairly part time job at that.

Wrong. The FAI only pay 50% of Mr Trapattoni's salary, the remaining 50% is paid by Denis O'Brien.

I'm proud of our team right now, this situation sucks but at least we look like a decent side, which is the first time in a long time.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Of course it's stupid, just as taking the high moral ground about fair play.
    When Robbie Keane tried to control the ball with his hand during the same game he got very upset at the ref giving a free against him.
    I was delighted with Ireland's performance and that is not something I expected to be saying.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady
    Sexy, Wicked, Enticing, Erotic, Tease

Default I don't think it is stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect our request to be granted.
    But I thought John Delaney, in particular, did the right thing.

The politicians are just delighted to have something to row in behind and be seen to support the players and fans in the hope of deflecting all the recent criticism.

But Delaney has been very careful in his wording.
    He has accepted that FIFA are not in a position to demand a rematch, so he has highlighted how the French themselves have admitted how unfair it is and has called on them, publicly, to show some sporting decency and offer a rematch.

Thierry Henry has already damaged his reputation, but now, in the glare of the entire world, the French Football Federation are under scrutiny to see will they do the admirable thing.

And of course, should they develop a conscience, and offer a rematch, there is no way that FIFA could intervene and stop it. It would go against their own Fair Play policy.
    And considering how they are already being criticised for seeding the playoffs at the last minute to favour the larger nations they could not risk being seen to even further corrupt the beautiful game.

However, as i said, i don't believe the FFF will offer the rematch, so the reality is that John Delaney is being very shrewd and will look for compensation for loss of revenue that this unjustice has potentially cost us.
    Lets not forget, that goal did not cost us a place at the World Cup as the media has decided to word it... At the time it was scored it cost us a penalty shootout against a team with better penalty takers in front of a hostile French crowd.
    Our chances of progressing through that were slim anyway.

For me, this was the second time in my adult life where football has made me feel like a kid again.
    Where something happens out of your control that you know is wrong, that shatters your dreams, but you are helpless to change it.
    The last instance was when Roy Keane was dismissed from the World Cup squad.

I guess the big plus on this occasion is that this has brought the whole nation together.
    It has galvanised us.
    And we still have a fantastic performance from the Boys in Green to look back on and be proud of.
    We have the confidence from that to take forward with us to the next qualifiers.

I'm not convinced that if there was a rematch that we could reproduce that performance.
    So perhaps it is better to hold onto what we have and gain our revenge by qualifying for Euro 2012.

Come On Ireland.

dom

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I don't expect our request to be granted.
    But I thought John Delaney, in particular, did the right thing.

The politicians are just delighted to have something to row in behind and be seen to support the players and fans in the hope of deflecting all the recent criticism.

But Delaney has been very careful in his wording.
    He has accepted that FIFA are not in a position to demand a rematch, so he has highlighted how the French themselves have admitted how unfair it is and has called on them, publicly, to show some sporting decency and offer a rematch.

Thierry Henry has already damaged his reputation, but now, in the glare of the entire world, the French Football Federation are under scrutiny to see will they do the admirable thing.

And of course, should they develop a conscience, and offer a rematch, there is no way that FIFA could intervene and stop it. It would go against their own Fair Play policy.
    And considering how they are already being criticised for seeding the playoffs at the last minute to favour the larger nations they could not risk being seen to even further corrupt the beautiful game.

However, as i said, i don't believe the FFF will offer the rematch, so the reality is that John Delaney is being very shrewd and will look for compensation for loss of revenue that this unjustice has potentially cost us.
    Lets not forget, that goal did not cost us a place at the World Cup as the media has decided to word it... At the time it was scored it cost us a penalty shootout against a team with better penalty takers in front of a hostile French crowd.
    Our chances of progressing through that were slim anyway.

For me, this was the second time in my adult life where football has made me feel like a kid again.
    Where something happens out of your control that you know is wrong, that shatters your dreams, but you are helpless to change it.
    The last instance was when Roy Keane was dismissed from the World Cup squad.

I guess the big plus on this occasion is that this has brought the whole nation together.
    It has galvanised us.
    And we still have a fantastic performance from the Boys in Green to look back on and be proud of.
    We have the confidence from that to take forward with us to the next qualifiers.

I'm not convinced that if there was a rematch that we could reproduce that performance.
    So perhaps it is better to hold onto what we have and gain our revenge by qualifying for Euro 2012.

Come On Ireland.

dom

Can you imagine John Delaney's letter to the FFF.

Dear Mr French.

I tink da we wuz cheated n'all.

Give us da fucking match, ya do!

Cheers

Johnboy

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast