Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: foreign reg car help

Reviews

Default foreign reg car help

i have foreign reg car and am living and working in ireland, my car is insured/taxed etc in another country as have access to address, how can i get away with driving this when stopped by customs/cops?
    Also if i had to register it in ireland would i get away with tax on c02 emissions as car is 5 years old, and can the emissions be turned down?
    Any comments or help would b appreciated thanks.

Reviews

i dont know and i wouldnt tell you if i did as i had a crash with a foreign reged car in dublin and the hassle i had trying to get my insurance claim sorted was a nightmare.
    do the right thing and register it in ireland.

As far as I know, any foreign vehicle has to change registration if they are in country for 6 months or more.So If you get stopped you can claim that you arrived in country less than 6 months ago, and you should be able to get through a casual stop, but you will not survive a back ground check. Also if your insurance from home finds out you've been abroad for such a long time, it is safe to say that they will withdraw their cover and responsability they have toward you.
    As Jayf1 said, buy yourself some peace of mind, and do the right thing.

Reviews

Jusging from your post I would say that your insurance is void.

Quote Originally Posted by mathsteacher View Post
    i have foreign reg car and am living and working in ireland, my car is insured/taxed etc in another country as have access to address, how can i get away with driving this when stopped by customs/cops?
    Also if i had to register it in ireland would i get away with tax on c02 emissions as car is 5 years old, and can the emissions be turned down?
    Any comments or help would b appreciated thanks.

Reviews

Firstly your insurance is void, secondly you now need to import the car if you intend to stay and thirdly if you do import this car, emissions has nothing to do with importing vehicles first registered before 2008. Road tax on this vehicle will be rated on engine size.
    You should also know that if you are an Irish citizen, driving a vehicle registered outside the state is an offence. You can have the vehicle confiscated, crushed and you will be fined.

Reviews

firstly im an irish citizen, and my insurance company knows this and stated that once im not outside their state more than 90 days im covered, so i have this covered by driving back every three months id never drive without insurance.
    yes i am trying to bend the law a little as road tax is extremely high on this car in ireland but considering what scams goes on in ireland.....

Reviews

If caught you will need proof of address, ie utility bills etc, licence and insurance all at that address. If you dont you can say bye bye car .... my little bro makes a very good living transporting confiscated cars to the crusher
    Last edited by Monkeynut; 04-12-10 at 20:07.

Reviews

One time, engine size was what Customs would base their shaftings on.
    However now, emmissions info (got from manufacturers) is what rates them now.
    A friend owed €900 on a 1982 import based on the old way, which rose to €1450
    with the new regulations. So much for single market...

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeynut View Post
    If caught you will need proof of address, ie utility bills etc, licence and insurance all at that address. If you dont you can say bye bye car .... my little bro makes a very good living transporting confiscated cars to the crusher
    i dont wanna see ur bro so, yep i have bills up till aug, its free for me to re register car in ireland just the tax that is killer

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post
    One time, engine size was what Customs would base their shaftings on.
    However now, emmissions info (got from manufacturers) is what rates them now.
    A friend owed €900 on a 1982 import based on the old way, which rose to €1450
    with the new regulations. So much for single market...
    This is incorrect. see below...........

Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT)
    Change to the Tax Base
    Current Tax Regime

Before 1 July 2008 VRT on passenger cars (category A vehicles) is charged as a percentage of the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) of the car. The percentage is dependent on the engine size of the vehicle, with bigger cars paying a higher rate of VRT. All cars fit into one of three rates as follows:
    Category Engine Size Rate
    A1 Cars up to 1,400cc 22.5% of OMSP
    A2 Cars 1,401 to 1,900cc 25% of OMSP
    A3 Cars over 1,900cc 30% of OMSP

A minimum of €315, is payable regardless of the VRT rate charged on a vehicle.

New Tax Regime

From 1 July 2008, VRT payable on category A vehicles will no longer be based on the engine size but rather on the level of CO2 emissions from the car. Linking the VRT rates to the level CO2 emissions will mean that individuals purchasing cleaner, low emission cars will pay less VRT while those opting to purchase higher emitting vehicles will pay more.

A seven-band CO2 emission system will apply. VRT will now be charged as a percentage of the OMSP in accordance with the following table:
    CO2 Emissions (CO2g/km) VRT Rates
    0 - 120g 14% of OMSP
    More than 120g/km up to and including140g/km 16% of OMSP
    More than 140g/km up to and including 155g/km 20% of OMSP
    More than 155g/km up to and including 170g/km 24% of OMSP
    More than 170g/km up to and including 190g/km 28% of OMSP
    More than 190g/km up to and including 225g/km 32% of OMSP
    More than 225g/km 36% of OMSP

The new system of taxation will be applicable to new and imported category A vehicles.

As the new VRT rates differ from the current rates, the new regime is likely to impact on the VRT to be paid on all passenger cars registered after 1 July 2008. Thereafter, cars with lower CO2 emissions will have their VRT rates reduced. Reductions can be expected across the range of lower emitting vehicles. At the other end of the scale, larger, luxury and high performance models with higher CO2 emissions will be subjected to an increase in the VRT charged.
    Last edited by Monkeynut; 04-12-10 at 20:13.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast