Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article 50 (We need some high brow stuff here)

Reviews

Default Article 50 (We need some high brow stuff here)

"If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legislation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-manoeuvred and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign."

Having recently lost the run of myself.....
    ....please indicate your level of satisfaction with this post as you exit.
    (All feedback is anonymous and used to improve your experience here)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xagerate For This Useful Post:

Barney Rubble (28-06-16), tom sand (28-06-16)

Reviews

Yeah, I read that an hour or two ago.
    It hadn't occurred to me that Cameron may have deliberately dumped the whole mess onto his successor, possibly Johnson.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Shalom/salaam.
    10,000 years of Middle Eastern civilisation and the place is not at peace but rather in pieces.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by alcatel View Post
    Yeah, I read that an hour or two ago.
    It hadn't occurred to me that Cameron may have deliberately dumped the whole mess onto his successor, possibly Johnson.
    Johnsons press conference on Friday morning looked like a man who was dazed / confused and who had a voice in his head that just kept saying

Blog Entries

Bust out the Marshmallows, it's time to make smores lol. Serves em right, xenophobic shithats, lol.
    What if "It's Raining Men" and 'Let the bodies hit the floor' are both about the same event but from different perspectives 🤔

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cassandra For This Useful Post:

xagerate (28-06-16)

Reviews

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

get out clause maybe
    for them to stay
    if a general election were to be called
    and a party campaigned on a promise to keep Britain in the EU, got elected and then claimed that the election mandate topped the referendum one.
    smiley face

Reviews

Cameron and Hodgeson both resign within 5 minutes of their defeats.

Kinda says something about their leadership qualities doesn't it?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by whoseyourdaddy View Post

Cameron is smart........he doesn't wanna be the one to push the red button

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by whoseyourdaddy View Post

It says something about falling on your sword, a concept Irish(politicians in particular) know nothing about.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Shalom/salaam.
    10,000 years of Middle Eastern civilisation and the place is not at peace but rather in pieces.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by xagerate View Post
    Cameron is smart........he doesn't wanna be the one to push the red button
    No but He showed no leadership on the issues, allowed the debate to degenerate into a racist rant and, like his footballing counterpart, has left his country looking foolish and walked away.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to whoseyourdaddy For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (28-06-16)

Blog Entries

All I can say is that I'm very glad to be retiring before the 2 years is up and will be living a nice little low cost life in my little house by then. I would hate to be in a position where I relied on work within the EU like some do when this comes to an end, as it likely will not be an easy or affordable task.

For some that voted out, it was nothing to do with racism, but they bought the NHS angle and for others it was about control and being more involved in the new laws being set. There are certain areas of England that are very multi racial, even with a majority of different nationalities. Mind you, I have never really understood the distribution of migrants either. Like one lady said on a programme, 'Why should I learn to speak English, when everyone I know here speaks my language?'. If people were distributed more evenly there would be a better chance of integration instead of the 'them and us' mentality which I so hate.

Lastly the campaigning that led up to the vote was dreadful and full of blatant lies and manipulation. For many people this led to us trying to work out the truth, so we could make an educated decision on who to vote for, but I believe most people even as they voted were not sure if they had made the right choice or not, as the information we had to go on was so confusing and contradictory. This referendum was a farce from the start. It should not have happened the way it did and it would have been better to use the model already used by the Scottish with a 2 year period of time where we can make up our minds with sound information and understanding of what leaving meant. It feels like the UK has been used to make someone's point and it backfired.

Well done the UK government, you played a blinder!
    Last edited by Curvaceous Kate; 28-06-16 at 07:15.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

whoseyourdaddy (29-06-16), xagerate (28-06-16)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast