Thread: Beware. There is a limit to your privacy at work.

Reviews

Default Beware. There is a limit to your privacy at work.

Be aware. There is a limit to your right to privacy when sending messages (or using an employer's computer) at work, under a recent European Court Ruling.

While it was agreed by the European Court that “unfettered snooping” was illegal, at work, if you are using your employers equipment and there are rules in place as to what you can use it for, your employer can read your private messages sent on their equipment and discipline you if you are using their equipment to send messages on their time, if it contravenes their written employee rules.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (13-01-16), LuckyLu (13-01-16)

Yeah, someone told me about that too. They are trying to limit the usage of personal pages and stuff. Although I find an employer looking into someone's private conversations as violating privacy.
    [B][I]Life is too short for bad coffee and bad sex.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Be aware. There is a limit to your right to privacy when sending messages (or using an employer's computer) at work, under a recent European Court Ruling.

While it was agreed by the European Court that “unfettered snooping” was illegal, at work, if you are using your employers equipment and there are rules in place as to what you can use it for, your employer can read your private messages sent on their equipment and discipline you if you are using their equipment to send messages on their time, if it contravenes their written employee rules.
    Steve, I look forward to that descipline ,, only hope I get a female boss

yep. just found the article on this ruling.
    where is the world going? ...

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...an-court-rules

Reviews

Thought it always was so,no social media in most places, and was there not some police force in UK who's computers crashed in 2012 because people were watching Olympic coverage live
    " Thankful for those thankful for the things I did "

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CurvyNina View Post
    Yeah, someone told me about that too. They are trying to limit the usage of personal pages and stuff. Although I find an employer looking into someone's private conversations as violating privacy.
    An employee doing personal things at work is a violation of employers time

We all got smartphones I've a jobs where our history was checked social sites banned your at work
    On a connected computer on your employers time it's only right

And if your naughty use your smart phone like

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to annabel taylor For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (13-01-16), lapd (13-01-16)

Reviews

Good to know, thanks for sharing that I formation. I'll remember it for the future if I ever get a real job!

It does seem a little excessive; essentially, this law came in to place to keep people off of their Facebook at work! It's fair enough that you shouldn't be on social media while you're at work (and supposed to be working), you are technically wasting time you're getting paid to do a job, and 'misusing' company property...

But wow, a law just for that!? A bit over the top...
    Fighting the Good Fight...