Thread: What is racism?????????????

Default What is racism?????????????

Interesting.firgured i would do an ole googleio search and find out what definitions are given.

On one of the main searches on page 1 i found this explaination:Racism means discriminating against people based on their skin colour, race, ethnic group or nationality, using the difference as a reason for the discrimination. Overt racism can take the form of actual physical abuse, verbal abuse, written material or just plain rudeness.

Racism is based on the false belief that "some" races are inherently superior to others because of different skin colour, nationality, ethnic or cultural background.

I figured i would serch on discrimination and heres is what i get:

Direct discrimination occurs when a person is treated less favourably than another in a comparable situation because of their racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation.

An example of direct discrimination is a job advert, which says "no disabled people need apply." However, in reality discrimination often takes more subtle forms. That’s why indirect discrimination is also covered.

Indirect discrimination occurs when an apparently neutral provision, criterion or practice would disadvantage people on the grounds of racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation unless the practice can be objectively justified by a legitimate aim.

An example of indirect discrimination is requiring all people who apply for a certain job to sit a test in a particular language, even though that language is not necessary for the job. The test might exclude more people who have a different mother tongue.

Now forget the fact that ,from reading the above,a foreign national employed in Ireland,receiving half the wages of an Irish employee,thereby possibly preceived as discrimination against Irish in their home country,could be seen as discrimination,it seems to me that racism or discrimination,only arises,when their is a loss on the receiving end.In other words,the loss of a job,freedom,loss of peace of mind,obstruction etc.

Giving an opinion on a particular type of nationality would be very unlikely be seen as Overt racism .Overt racism can take the form of actual physical abuse, verbal abuse, written material or just plain rudeness.

physical abuse;This is illegal regardless.
    verbal abuse; This is illegal depending on a given interpretation of a situation.
    written material; This is illegal if it comes in the form of slander or libel.
    just plain rudeness; this is not illegal.Its actually not illegal to be rude.I dont neccessarily agree with it but it is not illegal,unless it is used in a context of it being illegal as in defamation etc.

Im sorry but saying a certain race of ppl are ignorant is not racism as such.It may not be nice but is not racism in a true sense of the word.

Sincerely,
    Westside.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Singh View Post
    Interesting.firgured i would do an ole googleio search and find out what definitions are given.

On one of the main searches on page 1 i found this explaination:Racism means discriminating against people based on their skin colour, race, ethnic group or nationality, using the difference as a reason for the discrimination. Overt racism can take the form of actual physical abuse, verbal abuse, written material or just plain rudeness.

Racism is based on the false belief that "some" races are inherently superior to others because of different skin colour, nationality, ethnic or cultural background.

I figured i would serch on discrimination and heres is what i get:

Direct discrimination occurs when a person is treated less favourably than another in a comparable situation because of their racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation.

An example of direct discrimination is a job advert, which says "no disabled people need apply." However, in reality discrimination often takes more subtle forms. That’s why indirect discrimination is also covered.

Indirect discrimination occurs when an apparently neutral provision, criterion or practice would disadvantage people on the grounds of racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation unless the practice can be objectively justified by a legitimate aim.

An example of indirect discrimination is requiring all people who apply for a certain job to sit a test in a particular language, even though that language is not necessary for the job. The test might exclude more people who have a different mother tongue.

Now forget the fact that ,from reading the above,a foreign national employed in Ireland,receiving half the wages of an Irish employee,thereby possibly preceived as discrimination against Irish in their home country,could be seen as discrimination,it seems to me that racism or discrimination,only arises,when their is a loss on the receiving end.In other words,the loss of a job,freedom,loss of peace of mind,obstruction etc.

Giving an opinion on a particular type of nationality would be very unlikely be seen as Overt racism .Overt racism can take the form of actual physical abuse, verbal abuse, written material or just plain rudeness.

physical abuse;This is illegal regardless.
    verbal abuse; This is illegal depending on a given interpretation of a situation.
    written material; This is illegal if it comes in the form of slander or libel.
    just plain rudeness; this is not illegal.Its actually not illegal to be rude.I dont neccessarily agree with it but it is not illegal,unless it is used in a context of it being illegal as in defamation etc.

Im sorry but saying a certain race of ppl are ignorant is not racism as such.It may not be nice but is not racism in a true sense of the word.

Sincerely,
    Westside.

Eh I think you will find claiming that a whole race of people are ignorant fits very well into the definition of racism since the obvious implication is that you believe the race you happen to be born into is not ignorant and is as such superior

Default True but

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    Eh I think you will find claiming that a whole race of people are ignorant fits very well into the definition of racism since the obvious implication is that you believe the race you happen to be born into is not ignorant and is as such superior
    there are certain nationalities i just dont like,which im entitled to.I dont follow them around,call them names in public,interfere with their rights but i still dont like them.Does that make me a racist?Only if i interfere with their rights and a loss is obtained or a law is broken.

The vast majority of Nationalities i am fine with.My dislike is not based on colour (the countries i dislike arent not predominatly black) or religon or culture etc.I just dont like them.Simple as that.

That does not make me a racist,
    Westside.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Singh View Post
    there are certain nationalities i just dont like,which im entitled to.I dont follow them around,call them names in public,interfere with their rights but i still dont like them.Does that make me a racist?Only if i interfere with their rights and a loss is obtained or a law is broken.

The vast majority of Nationalities i am fine with.My dislike is not based on colour (the countries i dislike arent not predominatly black) or religon or culture etc.I just dont like them.Simple as that.

That does not make me a racist,
    Westside.
    No just a xenophobe

Wink puntuation

The rule on comma use is as so, after which a space MUST be left.

As tommy read books, papers and posts, did he assume that he were correct and
    everyone else was ignorant of the fact?

w

Default puntuation

Quote Originally Posted by wiseone View Post
    The rule on comma use is as so, after which a space MUST be left.

As tommy read books, papers and posts, did he assume that he were correct and
    everyone else was ignorant of the fact?

w
    isnt that what makes holes in the tyres of cars and bikes?

Sincerely,
    Thomas O' Singho.

Smile im sorry...

On further analysis, I noticed that you know the rule, but sometimes forget during a long post etc. This is forgivable, i suppose.

I was projecting some of my irritability on to you. Now if everyone were as self aware and honest as I: whata won-der-ful wurl this could be!

w
    Last edited by wiseone; 04-04-09 at 21:19. Reason: I spelt analysis incorrectly.

Default I forgive you

Quote Originally Posted by wiseone View Post
    On further analysis, I noticed that you know the rule, but sometimes forget during a long post etc. This is forgivable, i suppose.

I was projecting some of my irritability on to you. Now if everyone were as self aware and honest as I: whata won-der-ful wurl this could be!

w
    hahahha just kidding,
    Westside.
    Last edited by Tommy Singh; 04-04-09 at 22:29. Reason: Read analysis wrong.