Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Corporal Killings...What Do You Think They Were They Up To?

Default The Corporal Killings...What Do You Think They Were They Up To?

I watched a documentary last night on the two British Army corporals who drove into the IRA funeral after Milltown, and got killed by mob.

Does anyone have their own idea what they were doing there? It is said one was showing off to his mate how he could drive round the no-go areas, but that just seems TOO dumb. Were they on surveillance? A bungled hit?

I am obviously not wanting to drag up the troubles, but just interested in the Irish opinion on the incident as it makes zero sense for them to be there.

Last edited by Martin Ward; 15-03-19 at 17:24.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ward View Post
    I watched a documentary last night on the two British Army corporals who drove into the IRA funeral after Milltown, and got killed by mob.

Does anyone have their own idea what they were doing there? It is said one was showing off to his mate how he could drive round the no-go areas, but that just seems TOO dumb. Were they on surveillance? A bungled hit?

I am obviously not wanting to drag up the troubles, but just interested in the Irish opinion on the incident as it makes zero sense for them to be there.

Nothing would surprise me, even that they were "sacrificial lambs".

After the attack by Michael Stone in Milltown cemetery it wasn't a surprise that the crowd acted as they did, especially when 1 of them was seen to have a gun.

With all the TV crews recording this unfold it was a British example of just how barbaric the Irish are.

I do not condone what happened these two men and it should never have happened.

However if I had been in the crowd that day I cannot say in all honesty how I would have reacted. That's my reading of it Martin, right or wrong.
    Hello darkness my old friend.....

Blog Entries
    Reviews

I would suggest that they just were lost, and took a wrong turn...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bollocks For This Useful Post:

joggon (16-03-19)

Reviews

The Shankill Butchers' true leader has been named in a graphic exposé on the UVF and its most notorious sectarian murder gang.
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/lenny-murphys-brother-was-real-boss-of-shankill-butchers-gang-says-new-book-35830982.html

The Shankill Butchers' true leader has been named in a graphic exposé on the UVF and its most notorious sectarian murder gang.
    It has been thought for years that psychopath Lenny Murphy headed the serial killers, who committed at least 23 savage murders using butcher knives, axes, guns and bombs during a reign of terror in the darkest days of the Troubles.
    But a newly-published book - UVF: Behind The Mask - claims Murphy's older brother John was the real boss.
    A woman who claimed she let the Shankill Butchers use her home as a safe house for meetings told author Aaron Edwards that John Murphy was "leader of the pack" in the murder gang.
    The west Belfast woman, who is not named, tells Edwards: "They seemed to be scared of John Murphy. They used to blame Lenny.
    "They tried to say he gave the orders, but he was in jail most of the time.
    "They were that frightened of John".
    The woman added she viewed John Murphy as the embodiment of "evilness".
    The Shankill Butchers' first victims were four Catholics shot dead in their bottling plant workplace in October 1975.
    A month later Frank Crossan (34) was found after Lenny Murphy used a knife to cut his head almost to the spine.
    The gang's carnage continued until 1977.
    Lenny Murphy was jailed in 1976 for possession of a firearm, but it was thought he made sure the slaughter went on after he directed right-hand-man William Moore, who provided the knives to hack up many more victims, to take over.
    But the book claims John Murphy was as feared, manipulative and psychopathic as his younger brother, and was behind the continuation of the sectarian murder frenzy.
    The woman who spoke out about the Shankill Butchers using her house for meetings said in the book that John Murphy sat in her front room one evening and told her: "I can't sleep at night. I have to sleep during the day because of all the things I've done."
    Lenny Murphy was shot dead by the IRA at the age of 30 in 1982, the same year he'd been released from prison after completing six years of a 12-year sentence.
    His brother died 16 years later in 1998 aged 47 in a car crash at the junction of the Grosvenor Road and Westlink in Belfast.
    The woman added in Edwards' book: "John got his comeuppance when he hit a roundabout and went through the car windscreen.
    "Some people are just evil. There's an evilness there."
    It was not until the Shankill Butchers made the mistake of leaving one of their victims for dead that their reign of terror ended.
    Gerard McLaverty survived hours of torture involving being stabbed with pokers and knives and being strangled with wire.
    He went on to identify his would-be killers and put them in the dock.
    The gang was sentenced to 2,000 years in relation to the murders of 19 people, including nine Protestants, who were either mistaken for Catholics or the victims of loyalist in-fighting.
    Lenny Murphy was never convicted over any of the murders carried out by the Shankill Butchers.
    Edwards is a senior lecturer in defence and international affairs at the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst.
    His book also tells of the never-before-revealed partnership between loyalist terror chiefs Billy Wright and Johnny Adair, and how the UVF once plotted to kill Martin McGuinness.
    Last edited by joggon; 16-03-19 at 00:16.
    Other opinions are allowed
    Age doesn't equal maturity - just look around !
    Unhappy ? press ignore user in settings

6. The Following User Says Thank You to joggon For This Useful Post:

Barney Rubble (16-03-19)

I was a teen and watched this live as it was being displayed live by the media. All i can remember saying is why is the army or police not going in to rescue these 2 men.

Quote Originally Posted by joggon View Post
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/lenny-murphys-brother-was-real-boss-of-shankill-butchers-gang-says-new-book-35830982.html

It has been thought for years that psychopath Lenny Murphy headed the serial killers, who committed at least 23 savage murders using butcher knives, axes, guns and bombs during a reign of terror in the darkest days of the Troubles.
    But a newly-published book - UVF: Behind The Mask - claims Murphy's older brother John was the real boss.
    A woman who claimed she let the Shankill Butchers use her home as a safe house for meetings told author Aaron Edwards that John Murphy was "leader of the pack" in the murder gang.
    The west Belfast woman, who is not named, tells Edwards: "They seemed to be scared of John Murphy. They used to blame Lenny.
    "They tried to say he gave the orders, but he was in jail most of the time.
    "They were that frightened of John".
    The woman added she viewed John Murphy as the embodiment of "evilness".
    The Shankill Butchers' first victims were four Catholics shot dead in their bottling plant workplace in October 1975.
    A month later Frank Crossan (34) was found after Lenny Murphy used a knife to cut his head almost to the spine.
    The gang's carnage continued until 1977.
    Lenny Murphy was jailed in 1976 for possession of a firearm, but it was thought he made sure the slaughter went on after he directed right-hand-man William Moore, who provided the knives to hack up many more victims, to take over.
    But the book claims John Murphy was as feared, manipulative and psychopathic as his younger brother, and was behind the continuation of the sectarian murder frenzy.
    The woman who spoke out about the Shankill Butchers using her house for meetings said in the book that John Murphy sat in her front room one evening and told her: "I can't sleep at night. I have to sleep during the day because of all the things I've done."
    Lenny Murphy was shot dead by the IRA at the age of 30 in 1982, the same year he'd been released from prison after completing six years of a 12-year sentence.
    His brother died 16 years later in 1998 aged 47 in a car crash at the junction of the Grosvenor Road and Westlink in Belfast.
    The woman added in Edwards' book: "John got his comeuppance when he hit a roundabout and went through the car windscreen.
    "Some people are just evil. There's an evilness there."
    It was not until the Shankill Butchers made the mistake of leaving one of their victims for dead that their reign of terror ended.
    Gerard McLaverty survived hours of torture involving being stabbed with pokers and knives and being strangled with wire.
    He went on to identify his would-be killers and put them in the dock.
    The gang was sentenced to 2,000 years in relation to the murders of 19 people, including nine Protestants, who were either mistaken for Catholics or the victims of loyalist in-fighting.
    Lenny Murphy was never convicted over any of the murders carried out by the Shankill Butchers.
    Edwards is a senior lecturer in defence and international affairs at the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst.
    His book also tells of the never-before-revealed partnership between loyalist terror chiefs Billy Wright and Johnny Adair, and how the UVF once plotted to kill Martin McGuinness.
    I see Adairs henchman/enforcer from the past turned gay was done for exposing himself in public recently
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...ngpin-14097860

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Punter08 For This Useful Post:

joggon (16-03-19)

Reviews

I remember been sickened with the way they were tortured and battered and murdered like they were filth. They were prisoners and had a right to be treated humanely. Then you had so called republicans mouthing about the way they were treated by the state. There are many reasons why I oppose a UI, but the main one apart from the absurd expense is we would be bringing in the sort of filth that committed atrocities like this and similar equivalent rubbish from the other side.

Reviews

sadly following orders and alot of hatred om both sides back then

interesting replies....

I do believe they were doing some undercover surveillance, and they were pretty much hung out to dry and called morons who would just go and speed around an IRA funeral by their superiors.

I do do agree that of you were in the crowd, you would think it was a hit, so therefore people shouldn't act surprised the crowd reacted badly. No excuse, more like a case of 1 + 1 =2.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by irishdeltaforce View Post
    Reilly Barney, really?

It's silly comments like this that give credence to people that say the IRA set the timers on the bombs to blow up on their own bombers.

So Gerry could be seen carrying the coffin draped in the tricolour.

Great press.
    And your posts are always Gospel .
    Hello darkness my old friend.....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Rubble For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast