PDA

View Full Version : A Remarkable Analogy of "Turn Off the Red Light"

LaBelleThatcher
13-05-12, 19:40
The very best analogy of Turn Off the Red Light and all their international friends that I have ever seen

What is strange to me now, looking back on it, is the conviction of the woman who attacked me that what she was doing served some higher good. That if she beat me hard enough and frightened me badly enough I’d go home and forget all about this prostitution business; that somehow the circumstances that brought me into prostitution would dissolve all the more thoroughly with every slap and shout and handful of hair she dragged out of me. There was such ignorance in that, it just boggled my mind. It still does.

Because it doesn't matter how much you harass and criminalise sex workers, or persecute them in the press, or take away their clients and their incomes...the circumstances that brought us into sex work will not dissolve or go away, we will just get even more desperate...and closer to the edge...

Ironically, the above quote was written by a representative of "Turn Off the Red Light" under their, increasingly unconvincing, Nom de Plume "FreeIrishWoman".

But it does prove what I have always said, they are fully aware of the devastating impact their campaign will have on the lives of the women - they just couldn't care less as long as they get their funding and their little bit of power to abuse.

Patricia
13-05-12, 19:49
Agree. I think TORL are losing the plot a bit on some of their blogs. They have no support from women in prostitution so it doesn't surprise me that they'd write about a subject like "Violence from Women in Prostitution" in a way to try to discredit that group of people, but they seem to only be discrediting their own arguments with this post.

LaBelleThatcher
13-05-12, 20:18
Agree. I think TORL are losing the plot a bit on some of their blogs. They have no support from women in prostitution so it doesn't surprise me that they'd write about a subject like "Violence from Women in Prostitution" in a way to try to discredit that group of people, but they seem to only be discrediting their own arguments with this post.

I don't know where they are going with it at all...that was just such a blatant analogy of everything that is wrong with their own attitude to sex workers, and, so obviously aimed at attacking the women...on another level it is seriously not funny. It was a very small world in Dublin 4 in 1991. Even Mary Henry knew most of the women, at least by sight (and, as a result, will not be unduly impressed by that account).

These women they are hiding behind a pen-name to describe as:

"Bitter oul cows who didn’t appreciate the business our presence there was costing them and didn’t make any secret of it." had gorgeous families...most had leaving certs, one (now deceased) went to school with CJ Haughey's daughter...and some of them were drop dead gorgeous...all of them were pretty presentable. There was a lady from the inner city who was like a Dub "Joan Rivers"...absolutely hilarious...a lot of them put hours and hours into the "concerned parents" anti-drugs campaign of the time...I could go on and on...

These were (and mostly still are) NICE PEOPLE...they do not deserve to be abused like that in support of an invalid agenda...

I swear these people from TORL manned Goebbels "Ministry of Propaganda" in their last incarnations...