PDA

View Full Version : Ruhama reminds me of the Magdalene Laundries

Patricia
09-05-12, 18:38
Because, oh yes, it is the same people running Ruhama that ran the Magdalene Laundries!

Ruhama's trustees are the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity (O.L.C.) and Good Shepherd Sisters (R.G.S.). Numerous of their Directors are also nuns - Sr. Sheila Murphy, O.L.C., Sr. Bernadette Mc Nally, R.G.S., Sr. Frances Robinson, O.L.C.

Ruhama's Communications & Policy Manager - Gerardine Rowley - AKA 'Gerry' is also a nun, though this isn't as well-known as these days she chooses to dress as a 'civillian' and not use her religious title.

Gerry wasn't always as shy about her religious calling as she is now. Here is a 2007 article about her that later 'disappeared' from the Interwebs, but I'd copied the text into notepad before it went (Sorry I appear to be missing one bit of one sentance that I presume didn't copy properly due to a picture or similar getting in the way):

Traffik stopping.

Published on Wed Mar 07 12:56:14 GMT 2007

By Denise Clarke

The increase in foreign women being trafficked to Ireland for prostitution in recent years is well-documented. Many of the women involved in prostitution feel they have no choice and enter into the sex industry – some due to poverty, others to feed their drug addiction. One Dublin based non-governmental organisation, Ruhama, has been central to showing these women that there is another option open to them. For the past nine years, Leitrim native Gerardine Rowley, has been a k

Originally from the village of Fenagh, Gerardine attended Fenagh NS and Ballinamore Secondary School.

"When I finished school, I worked in Kiltoghert Co-Op for over seven years. In the early 1990s, I joined The Good Shepherd Sisters, who are involved internationally with women prostitution," Gerardine explained to the Leader this week.

"In 1993, I went to Belfast and worked in the inner city with women in street prostitution. In 1997, I made my final profession to The good Shepherd in Carrick-on-Shannon and in 1998, I started work with Ruhama and have been working here since," she added.

Established in 1989, Ruhama is a Dublin-based NGO, which works with women involved in prostitution. It was founded as a joint initiative of the Good Shepherd Sisters and Our Lady of Charity Sisters, both of which had a long history of involvement with marginalised women.

Ruhama's work involves direct services to women involved in prostitution, including outreach and casework, befriending, education, counselling, and holistic therapies; awareness raising, including the provision of training for other relevant service providers, action to influence legislation and public policy and the stimulation of discussion and debate among the wider public; networking with others on issues related to prostitution and trafficking and in order to improve access to services for women involved in prostitution.

From these modest beginnings, Ruhama has grown into an organisation with 14 staff, over 30 volunteers and a range of services. As well as the outreach service Ruhama offers an in-depth casework service, counselling and a referral and support system to assist women involved in prostitution to access services such as housing, addiction programmes, immigration and legal services. Ruhama also offers court accompaniment to offenders.

"I work directly with the women," said Gerardine. "We visit the women in their homes, support them in any way we can and accompany them to court if the need be."

Ruhama's initial outreach service was based on the women's identification of their need for the opportunity to discuss their issues and problems with someone who could understand their situation and accept it uncritically, and from that perspective to offer advice and support.

Operating from a mobile unit which visits red-light districts each night, the service offers women hot drinks, a friendly ear and a neutral safe environment in which to talk with Ruhama staff and volunteers.

"In the 1980s, prostitution took place mostly in urban areas but it has gone nationwide in terms of indoor prostitution. Ninety per cent of women in the indoor sector are non-national, there is a growing number of women being trafficked into Ireland for the sex industry," explained Gerardine.

"It is very difficult to come into contact with these women. The more indoor prostitution that takes place, the more difficult it is to detect. The non-Irish prostitutes may not know where the services are that can help them and then there is the language barrier. To help these women, we rely on the publicity of our organisation and urge members of the public if they notice anything suspicious in their area - different men calling to a certain house – to contact us or the Gardai," she continued.

"RTE's Prime Time covered the topic on one of their programmes and we received many referrals from women in this situation and the general public. We rely on referrals which come from the health profession, the legal profession and the Gardai. Irish women are aware of this organisation so word of mouth is also a factor," added Gerardine.

It is believed that many women find themselves in prostitution as a result of a crisis in their lives. "We would believe that most women find themselves in prostitution as a result of a crisis in their lives – they feel they have no other option. Many women in street prostitution have a drug addiction and need to feed their habit. Others may enter the industry because of poverty or if they are a single parent and need the money."

"There is an absence of choice – men have sexually and subtly groomed them. Some women are kidnapped abroad and brought to Ireland for prostitution. Their passports are taken off them. These women are lured to Ireland in the hope of making a better future for themselves and their families. Some are told they can earn up to 4,000 euro a week in the sex industry. This is equivalent to one year's wages in their countries," Gerardine told the Leader. "However, when they get to Ireland, the traffickers and pimps control them, the contracts change."

In Ireland, there is currently no legislation for adult women trafficked into the sex industry. "It is the only country in the EU and as a result, Ireland is considered a 'soft touch'. It is a low risk and high profit industry here," she said.

"We were promised by the current Government that legislation in relation to this would be published last year but it hasn't happened and we are very disappointed. With the election looming and the Government going out of office, it won't happen in the near future but we won't give up," continued Gerardine.

"We are actively putting forward submissions and encourage people to lobby their local TDs. There is a draft letter on our website which people can print off and send to the local politicians. We are constantly trying to advocate for the victims of this crime."

The average age bracket of prostitutes in modern day Ireland is between 18 and early 30's. The majority of the victims of trafficking are the younger age gap of late teens and early 20's.

"It's peoples lives we are dealing with," stated Gerardine. "Prostitution is very dangerous – there is always a risk of death. The women are threatened, gang raped by the traffickers and abused. It takes a long time for them to recover from this. They have to deal with a lot of psychological issues and will still feel threatened."

"We offer these women protection and find access for them in safe accommodation. Many of the women have returned home and we have lost track of some of them. There is also the danger that they will be re-trafficked into Ireland," she added.

Ruhama is committed to raising awareness on issues surrounding prostitution in Irish society today, both in the national and international context. As they work directly with the women involved, the team have significant insights into the most complex social issues.

"To date, we have had no referrals from Co Longford but we have had referrals from surrounding counties. We are currently running a campaign entitled, 'Stop the Traffik' which coincides with the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the transatlantic slave trade which will take place on March 25. However, women are still enslaved through sex."

"It people weren't willing to 'purchase' people for sex, prostitution wouldn't exist. Society needs to be challenged. While prostitution is accepted, the commodification of it will be accommodated," concluded Gerardine.

Ruhama is currently selling keyrings in the shape of a key to raise awareness and help 'unlock' women from prostitution. People purchasing the key (for €2) will also be supporting the work of Ruhama. If you would like to help, visit the website www.ruhama.ie or telephone 01-8360292.

Patricia
09-05-12, 18:45
What got me thinking about this just now is the following articles in today's news:

http://www.sistersofmercy.ie/ireland_britain/southern/article_display.cfm?article_id=2714

Text of article included below. The part in bold was highlighted by me. Interesting that these people also find their own work today reminds them of their days running Magdalene Laundries!

Reflection on Recent Presentation on Human Trafficking

8 May 2012

Imagine you are 18 years of age and have just arrived in Ireland from Burma seeking a new life of opportunities away from the poverty of your own country. The journey was long and tedious; conditions were most uncomfortable. But that does not worry you now; you are starting a new job in hospitality in Ireland. You are collected by a man, who is to take you to your new accommodation. Yes, he does take you to your new accommodation, but it is not what you expect. It is dark, dirty and dreary. You notice several other girls who look very frightened. Immediately your passport is taken from you. You cannot understand what this man is saying to you. You are pushed into a corner and you know that you are told to be quiet. This is the beginning of your ‘new life’ in Ireland which is noted for its ‘Cead Mile Failte’.

This story is one of the many stories that is at the heart of why on Tuesday, May 1st a number of sisters from the Southern Province, together with a group of Transition year students from St. Mary’s Secondary School, Mallow gathered to attend a presentation on Human Trafficking. This excellent presentation was given by Srs. Sheila O’ Gorman and Mary Ryan. They are active members of APT, Act to Prevent Trafficking, a faith – based group working to address the global problem of Trafficking in Persons. APT’s Vision Statement states:

Our vision is that of a world in which all persons are respected, valued and given the dignity which is theirs by right; a world where no one seeks to exploit or to enslave another for the purposes of sexual gratification or financial gain.

Approximately 1,000 girls are available in Ireland for prostitution; most of them are foreign. 80 percent have reported physical abuse. For me the core message of the presentation is to become aware of the need to be alert and conscious of the complexity of this issue of trafficking and prostitution in Ireland. This is an issue that needs to be brought to the light as it thrives in its hiddenness.

As I listened to the presentation I was reminded of Catherine Mc Auley opening Mercy House in Baggot Street as a response to the situation in Dublin in the 19th Century where vulnerable young women were exploited. I felt Catherine’s founding vision was in many ways very similar to what I was listening to in this presentation. For me, this posed the challenge as to how I / we, as Mercy Sisters, can respond in justice and compassion to this obvious need of our time where vulnerable women are trafficked and exploited. Our Chapter Statement 2006 calls and commits us to this challenge when it states: ‘How will we engage with others around the questions and struggles of our time?’

For more information on APT see www.aptireland.org (http://www.aptireland.org/)

Patricia O'Donovan rsm

Patricia
09-05-12, 18:54
Other articles:

http://www.mercyworld.org/news_centre/view_article.cfm?loadref=1&id=649

Soup and Substance: Series Reflection

May 07, 2012

This year the Mercy International Association’s Luncheon series focussed on Mercy Global Action’s two major themes, Opposing Human Trafficking and Eco Justice.In this article Catherine Gibbons rsm, MGA Intern, reflects on the 2012 Lenten Series of Soup and Substance.
Human Trafficking

Soup and Substance 2012 began with the Human Trafficking Focus. Sheila Crowley from Ruhama, Dublin, gave an informative and thought-provoking input on What is Human Trafficking? and on the work of Ruhama, the main agency that deals with trafficked women in Ireland. Trafficking in human beings is “a gross violation of human rights, a modern form of slavery and an extremely profitable business for organised crime”.This was followed by a reflective presentation, called Liliana’s Story, by Mary Ryan rsm on the life of a trafficked woman, evolving through the presentation of the Stations of the Cross.

To me, these two sessions gave a strong answer to the question “But what can I do about Trafficking?” We can support active people who deal with trafficked women, and those who are involved with raising awareness of the issue; we can pray for the victims of trafficking and the perpetrators of this awful crime against the dignity of the human being; and we, too, can raise awareness with our families and friends.

The third Trafficking input, also the final in the series, was given by Mick Quinn from the Irish Department of Justice & Equality, Anti-Human Trafficking Unit on Working with others to combat Trafficking. Mick outlined in detail the work of his unit since the passing of the Anti-Human Trafficking Act in 2008. One can understand that this new Anti-Trafficking Unit was on a steep learning curve. It was established to co-ordinate the work of all agencies, both governmental and civil society, who are working on the issue of trafficking. The Unit continue to develop and expand its work in conjunction with other active groups.

It was encouraging to hear Mick speak of the regular Round Table Forum meetings of representatives of various government departments and of other agencies, where frank discussions are held and decisions are taken in the best interest of trafficked persons. Mick’s input re-affirmed for me that the world is just a ‘global village’, where, in ‘trafficking’ terms, some countries are ‘origin’, others ‘transit’ and others ‘destination’, with few exceptions. Trafficking is a global lucrative business and is found in towns, villages and cities throughout the world.

A Challenge
One challenge is to be alert to the signs: Are people living in groups in unsuitable places and working very long hours. Are people depending on their employer for a number of services, including work, transportation and accommodation?Is the internet being used for advertising ‘services’ in your local area? Become more informed about this issue where you live.

Patricia
09-05-12, 18:57
http://www.mercyworld.org/news_centre/view_article.cfm?loadref=0&id=605

Soup and Substance Lenten Programme (1): Let’s Live Lent!

February 28, 2012

At the first Soup and Substance, Sheila Crowley of Ruhama presented trafficking for sexual exploitation as a contemporary form of slavery. Human trafficking for sexual exploitation is growing in Ireland. Over the past decade Ireland has become both a transit route and a destination point for sex trafficking.

MIA is focusing on trafficking because –

Trafficking is a major issue confronting mainly women and most severely affects women and the poor and vulnerable
Sisters of Mercy are already doing substantial work to combat trafficking
The European Union the United Nations are focusing on Trafficking as a priority issue and MIA can influence them
You are invited to watch an excerpt of Shelia's presentation on human trafficking, view her power point presentation, and prayerfully reflect on this topic using the handout distributed at the gathering in Dublin.

Sheila Crowley, Ruhama

Patricia
09-05-12, 19:00
And the video:

http://youtu.be/IrLpLIHMDNQ

The presentation:
http://www.mercyworld.org/_uploads/_cknw/files/link%202(1).pdf (http://www.mercyworld.org/_uploads/_cknw/files/link%202%281%29.pdf)

The handout you are invited to prayerfully reflect upon:
http://www.mercyworld.org/_uploads/_cknw/files/link%201(1).pdf (http://www.mercyworld.org/_uploads/_cknw/files/link%201%281%29.pdf)

Patricia
09-05-12, 19:13
More videos from the day:

http://youtu.be/uuPmy1Ygvvk

Patricia
09-05-12, 19:13
More videos from the day:

http://youtu.be/6PK7vOqRBOw

LaBelleThatcher
09-05-12, 19:54
As I listened to the presentation I was reminded of Catherine Mc Auley opening Mercy House in Baggot Street as a response to the situation in Dublin in the 19th Century where vulnerable young women were exploited. I felt Catherine’s founding vision was in many ways very similar to what I was listening to in this presentation. For me, this posed the challenge as to how I / we, as Mercy Sisters, can respond in justice and compassion to this obvious need of our time where vulnerable women are trafficked and exploited. Our Chapter Statement 2006 calls and commits us to this challenge when it states: ‘How will we engage with others around the questions and struggles of our time?’

...and it is only very recently that the scales fell from my own eyes and I realised the "Mercy House" on Baggot Street (that I knew from Lyn Madden's books and vague reference by some of the older women and clients) was, in fact, a clearing house for the Laundries...and the women who dodged the bullet weren't in the last century...they were women I have sat and had coffee with, just a little older than me...

"Something wicked this way cometh"

I do not think I have any choice but fight it...

Cassandra
11-05-12, 18:53
So Ruhamma are evil as well as annoying?