PDA

View Full Version : Strictly wheelchair dancing!

thehighwayman
14-04-12, 21:16
If you think because someones in a wheelchair they can't dance. Then think again....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCp3_jaYOZ4

JohnRambo
14-04-12, 23:06
You know Highway, I know what you’re saying was to try and show disability in a positive and constitutive light but after what has been said in this section over the past week or more has it really has put the perception of disability back into the dark ages.

Speaking personally I’m totally and completely depressed, dejected and saddened at some of what has been said, I feel like throwing in the towel on this forum for so many reasons.

Thanks mate but I think you’re wasting your time.

JohnRambo
15-04-12, 04:15
All I can say right now is its been a very long time since I have left as demoralised and dehumanised because of my disability as I do right now. I also can’t begin to express how furious and upset I am at some of the humiliating and degrading posts that have been made recently and I’m sure I speak for a lot of other disabled people who use this board but are too intimidated to do so and who could blame them?

Right now its some long hard reflection I need to be doing before I say or do anything else on this matter.

Curvaceous Kate
15-04-12, 07:01
Can I just say Rambo. I don't know you or what your disability is. On the odd occasion you have made comment on this board while I have been hear I have read your posts with interest and not thought of you as any different to anyone else. On here you have no disability.

With regards to the word 'disability' I think it is one of those words that doesn't quite say enough and when people don't know what they are dealing with, often they will shy away from it, because they don't understand. I know this is the easy way out, but I expect there are many wgs who have entertained disabled people and have no idea, because the disability is small or infrequent etc and was not mentioned at the time of bookinng.

In my mind there should not be a tick box for disability, because if you tick it and then are not able to offer for certain disabilities due to no lift for instance, then you are leading to disappointment and again, if you don't tick it, because you know there is no easy access to the room, you may be saying no to many able bodied disabled people (if that makes sense?) and not want to do that either.

The word 'disabled' to me, is very similar to the word 'cancer'. I really dislike the word cancer, because it means so many different things. Some forms of cancer are not aggressive and easily fixed, while others can take you by surprise and you will have lost your life within a matter of months. The word scares people because they always assume the worst and that they will die because of it, but this is not always the case, some people are able to live fairly decent lives with it, even when it is terminal (I know because a very dear friend of mine is in this situation).

What am I rambling on about? Instead of having a tick box to say you are disability friendly, I think there should be a tick box to say 'wheel chair' friendly. This is a valid point for anyone who uses a wheel chair. I think other than that, once we have established if there is a possibility for access or not (which should be able to be updated if touring as and when you reach the accomodation), you then talk to the lady one to one and tell her what if any necessities there may be and allow her to decide if she feels able or qualified to deal with that. For instance if you have fits. Would you explain to her how to deal with it should you have one and would she feel confident enough to do it?

Ignorance is no excuse, but unless you tell someone what you are dealing with in your life and how she can deal with it, then she will remain ignorant and both of you may be losing out.