PDA

View Full Version : Psychological effects of prostitution?

Banjaxed
28-03-12, 18:21
Interestingly after I banged in my last essay of the year, I stumbled across a documentary called "Red Light Blues" (http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/red-light-blues/)from 2008 about the current plans of "cleaning" up [read: hand over to property tycoons] of the famous Amsterdam Red Light District, which was actually very informative and confirmed the political usage of human trafficking/crime as a new excuse for the moral crusade, there was an interview with a retired cop who had worked the area as a Community Officer for decades and had gotten to know a lot of the girls.

While he accepted prostitution would always exist, he felt he could never see it as "just another job", and that in his whole career he had only met about seven girls who were sex workers by choice. The rest were either there because of financial necessity and/or lack of opportunity. He went on to say that he felt there was a negative psychological effect on the girls, one of which was a hatred of men.

Is there credibility in this, especially with the DCG blog, that a lot of girls suffer from the pressures of the work? I know Eileen gave a rather good account of her feelings and experiences when interviewed on Newstalk's Tom Dunne show, but I'm sure she and others might wish to vent and educate.

EnglishAlex
28-03-12, 18:35
Interestingly after I banged in my last essay of the year, I stumbled across a documentary called "Red Light Blues" (http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/red-light-blues/)from 2008 about the current plans of "cleaning" up [read: hand over to property tycoons] of the famous Amsterdam Red Light District, which was actually very informative and confirmed the political usage of human trafficking/crime as a new excuse for the moral crusade, there was an interview with a retired cop who had worked the area as a Community Officer for decades and had gotten to know a lot of the girls.

While he accepted prostitution would always exist, he felt he could never see it as "just another job", and that in his whole career he had only met about seven girls who were sex workers by choice. The rest were either there because of financial necessity and/or lack of opportunity. He went on to say that he felt there was a negative psychological effect on the girls, one of which was a hatred of men.

Is there credibility in this, especially with the DCG blog, that a lot of girls suffer from the pressures of the work? I know Eileen gave a rather good account of her feelings and experiences when interviewed on Newstalk's Tom Dunne show, but I'm sure she and others might wish to vent and educate.

What is it you were searching for when you came across that? What is it you're studying? You seem awfully well informed for a new member with no apparent connections in the sex industry. I'm curious, humour me?

Banjaxed
28-03-12, 18:49
What is it you were searching for when you came across that? What is it you're studying? You seem awfully well informed for a new member with no apparent connections in the sex industry. I'm curious, humour me?
I was searching for a documentary on the sex industry, a more general one than the recent Irish one, which didn't really give a full coverage of the actual surrounding issues. I'm a second year LLB (Bachelor of Laws) student, which a special focus in Criminal Law. I had come here as a client, and still am a potential client but immediately was attracted to the Sex and Media section through which I came into contact with Eileen (LaBelleThatcher) who has been a very vocal advocate, or so it seems, for sex workers in Ireland. I would prefer not to go into anymore detail on a public forum but am quite happy to engage with anyone (as I have done to date) in greater detail privately.

I understand that it might be a topic which many of the ladies here might not feel comfortable talking about, especially given the recent (and unfortunately regular) negative media portrayals and that's fine with me, and I can understand the suspicion given that this forum is probably also the primary source for all the media hatchet jobs.

magicalman9357
28-03-12, 19:11
Thread closed at OP request.