PDA

View Full Version : Should the teaching of Irish be made optional

Bobby24
14-02-11, 22:57
What do people think of fine gaels plans to make Irish an optional subject in the leaving cert? Personally i think that it should be compulsary. There was a recent poll done about the subject and surprisingly imo younger people more so than older people thought that it should be compulsory, ill try find the poll. I do think there is something wrong with the way its thought tho as i learnt it for around 8years or whatever length of time it was and couldnt hold a conversation as gaeilge but yet i still got a B in the leaving cert!:confused:
"Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam"
"A country without a language is a country without a soul"
Spent the last 5 minutes trying to make it a poll but for the life of me i cant manage it:(

El Gordo
14-02-11, 23:00
If it were optional then the students who take it would be there by choice. One or two of them might even learn something.

anon361
14-02-11, 23:16
I mo thuairimse, tá an pointe tosaigh an bhfóram seo go bhfuil siad imithe thar do cheann .. bhfuil tú ag ceaptha a bheith ag plé as Gaeilge

rimmerguy
14-02-11, 23:58
I may have had more interest as gaelige if it was taught to me by this hunny , rather than the few ol gits in my old school

http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00203/Sharon_203140g.jpg

Alec Horan
15-02-11, 00:02
bollocks to the irish language- its a dead parrot

hd7055
15-02-11, 00:11
The title of this thread - Should the teaching of Irish be made optional - is utterly redundant.

It should be banned - completely abolished. (If some misguided parents want to spoil their children's childhood at home that, unfortunately, cannot be helped.) It is a monumental waste of educational time that could be spent trying to ensure that we crate/maintain (?) an advantage re our international competitors in economic terms. None of whom waste time on Irish I note ...

Bobby24
15-02-11, 11:15
Strongly disagree with the sharon ni something or other statement as she would be far to much of a distraction to concentrate on learning anything:D And i have no idea what you just said Anon:D
I should have put an option in saying abolish it completely hd7. Couldnt the same be said for the english course as well then hd, i still cry to myself at the thought of having to learn the fucking ridiculous amount of bullshit quotes from shakespeare and such likes:crazy: Besides students have a choice to choose business and economics anyway if they want to study that and sure thats what college is for anyhow concentrating on a main subject.
And Kelly yes u damn well will missyadult-move-that-ass:D:D

Doozer
15-02-11, 11:18
I have to say it should be optional. If points for the leaving cert Irish could drag a pupil down making them miss out on the college course of their choice because of a subject that has no benificial aspects. Now if people want to learn it then fine but dont ram it down everyones throat

Bobby24
15-02-11, 11:21
None of whom waste time on Irish I note ...
As crazy as it sounds Irish is being thought in China of all places would ya believe
http://http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/chinese-students-learning-irish-2474354.html
I cant seem to put an option in for "abolish the teaching of Irish completely" into the poll...mods a lil hand please:)

samlad
15-02-11, 12:05
Tá mé san áireamh an rogha nua :)

westcorklad
15-02-11, 12:23
Enda Kenny tá athrú tagtha ar a aigne faoi Ghaeilge na hArdteiste agus as seo ar aghaidh ní bheidh diúltú a labhairt i mBéarla.;)

Buachaillbeag
15-02-11, 16:51
tá a lán seoníní agus west brits san forám. Ná bac le sin!

Mousey
15-02-11, 20:47
Stop using a google translator, lads.

Irish should be optional.

hd7055
16-02-11, 01:21
Irish should be optional.

Mousey

Strongly beg to differ - it should be removed from the curriculum.

People talk about heritage and national pride, etc. - can any of them write in Ogham script? Aw, wonder why that is ...

hd.

an poc ar buille
16-02-11, 17:15
Of course all subjects should be optional. Like maths and English but I don't see politcians saying anything about this. All thats wrong with Irish as a subject is the way its taught. If Fianna gael get there way it'll kill Gaeltacht areas, areas that have suffered mors than most in this recession.

Buachaillbeag
16-02-11, 18:49
nuair a bhíonn mise agus mo chairde thar lear, deir na ngall go bhfuil muintir na h-éireann cosúil le sasanaigh. Tír gan teanga is tír gan anam.