PDA

View Full Version : Frankie Boyle: Has he over stepped the mark?

JohnRambo
13-12-10, 18:27
As we all know Frankie Boyle’s style of humor can sometimes sail a bit close too the wind, so do you think he’s over stepped the mark this time?

For anyone that doesn’t know or heard about this basically on his comedy show last week on Channel 4 he made fun of Katie Price’s (aka Jordan) 7 year old disabled child Harvey.

Harvey was born blind and has learning disabilities.

So has Boyle over stepped the mark with his latest controversy or are we just getting all worked up over a comic who likes to push the boundaries with comedy in this over PC world we live in?

Here’s what he said:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rF9YKiYfRE

shanamaniac
13-12-10, 20:21
I personally think Frankie Boyle is hilarious. But I can see a lot of people ranting and raving over this that he shouldn't be allowed say this on TV and its a disgrace but its simple if you don't like or approve of him don't watch him on TV and don't go to his shows. As they say different strokes for different folks.

JohnRambo
13-12-10, 22:45
I personally think Frankie Boyle is hilarious. But I can see a lot of people ranting and raving over this that he shouldn't be allowed say this on TV and its a disgrace but its simple if you don't like or approve of him don't watch him on TV and don't go to his shows. As they say different strokes for different folks.

I totally agree with you mate I think Boyle is class but I do think he’s out of order this time. OK Price is just an attention seeking media hunger celebrity but to have a pop at her 7 year old disabled child like that is totally wrong I think.

There’s huge row about it as far as I know in the English press and Ofcom are looking into it so Channel 4 could get a rap on the knuckles over it.

dr love
13-12-10, 22:48
I totally agree with you mate I think Boyle is class but I do think he’s out of order this time. OK Price is just an attention seeking media hunger celebrity but to have a pop at her 7 year old disabled child like that is totally wrong I think.

There’s huge row about it as far as I know in the English press and Ofcom are looking into it so Channel 4 could get a rap on the knuckles over it.I agree totally with you John and for personal reasons ; doc

JohnRambo
13-12-10, 22:52
I agree totally with you John and for personal reasons ; doc

I know what they are Doc as we’ve talked about stuff in private so I totally understand where you are coming from. :)

I do think as a society we should have some standards of decency, sadly on this occasion Boyle doesn’t agree.

dr love
13-12-10, 22:56
I know what they are Doc as we’ve talked about stuff in private so I totally understand where you are coming from. :)

I do think as a society we should have some standards of decency, sadly on this occasion Boyle doesn’t agree.

Let the dickhead to his own shit world then because if iposted what I truly felt I'd get banned . Lol doc

ladiesman217
14-12-10, 00:24
Frankie is one of my favourite comedians, and this sort of thing is to be expected from him. But I have to say that what he said was just... Everything has a boundary line somewhere, even for guys like Frankie. But he took one giant leap over it with that. I honestly can't see how anyone would find what he said funny.

Rayden
14-12-10, 01:07
I believe he has the right to say what he wants. Free Speech is either unrestricted or it isnt Free Speech.

ladiesman217
14-12-10, 01:27
I believe he has the right to say what he wants. Free Speech is either unrestricted or it isnt Free Speech.

Very true. I know he's a comedian and all, a hilarious one at that, but that was just too much. Free speech is one thing, everyone is entitled to say whatever they wish. But whether they should or not is another matter entirely. And in this case, I believe it was extremely inappropriate even for someone as ostentatious as him.

Rayden
14-12-10, 01:46
Very true. I know he's a comedian and all, a hilarious one at that, but that was just too much. Free speech is one thing, everyone is entitled to say whatever they wish. But whether they should or not is another matter entirely. And in this case, I believe it was extremely inappropriate even for someone as ostentatious as him.

My views on Free Speech are very black and white. Either everything is OK and fair game for comedy, or it isnt. No exceptions.

ladiesman217
14-12-10, 02:10
My views on Free Speech are very black and white. Either everything is OK and fair game for comedy, or it isnt. No exceptions.

Comedy kinda has to be black and white, I completely agree with you there. I was just completely shocked when I heard what he said. It almost made my stomach churn. I can't understand how he thought that that was in anyway funny.

Experienced Punter esq
19-12-10, 12:04
when comedians go to this level for humor it simply aint funny anymore....

OnlyMe
19-12-10, 12:12
when comedians go to this level for humor it simply aint funny anymore....

I agree. Its just bad taste.

Marko1980
19-12-10, 12:45
I agree. Its just bad taste.

I do like Frankie Boyle, think he's a talented guy.
His comedy though is very much mock the weak, be it harmless individuals (Susan Boyle), or the dead (Jade Goody) but he has probably hit the weakest with a 7 year old blind and mentally disabled child. Noone minds Jordan getting ripped, she brings a lot of it on herself and can take it, its wrong to single out Harvey though.
A lot of the time watching him I feel slightly guilty for laughing as I know that while I'm not offended, people who are closer to situation he is making light of, reallly are.

What do you do though? I dont think its going to stop him making these sort of jokes if he or C4 get fined....

shanamaniac
19-12-10, 16:31
I def don't like the fact it was aimed at a child but again its all a joke. People need to lighten up. Everyone is complaining to ofcom including Jordan but if she wasn't such a drug addled boozy slut while she was pregnant with Harvey he probably wouldn't have half the health issues he has.

Monkeynut
19-12-10, 19:15
I am a fan of anybody who kicks this ridiculous PC world in the nuts. There will be causalities along the way though

Doozer
19-12-10, 20:33
Sure wasnt Tommy Tiernan barraged for making fun of teh disabled last year
If it gets a shock reaction then it works and they have your attention

dark-knight
20-12-10, 00:01
Comedy is the only media left where free speech can still be used. If comedy had to go politicaly correct it would be the end of comedy. I laughed at the joke, its funny but I don't think he really ment it. It was a joke.

As for Tommy Tiernan making a joke of the "handycapped" it was a joke and Tommy does a lot of work for Down Syndrome Ireland, he wasn't make fun of people with down syndrome morely telling it the way it is. People with no experience of down syndrome took offence to it.

bhoywonder
05-01-11, 14:11
i don't think that you can get to a point with someone like frankie boyle and all of a sudden start asking has he gone too far? the guy tries to be as offensive as possible. its his style. im sure there have been many, many people who were offended by things he said long before he made the jordan/harveycomment. maybe some of them might think that line funny! different strokes for differnt folks. i dont agree with the line that if you are going to get offended then don't watch. he is bound to touch on a nerve with most people. but if you are mature enough then you will realise that it is a comedy routine and not necessarily his own, or channel 4's, express opinion

JohnRambo
05-04-11, 13:47
Four months on and Ofcom finally take some kinda action, not near enough in my opinion but at least they’ve listened to people’s complaints.

BBC News - Frankie Boyle's Katie Price jokes censured (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12957309)

ladiesman217
05-04-11, 22:24
Four months on and Ofcom finally take some kinda action, not near enough in my opinion but at least they’ve listened to people’s complaints.

BBC News - Frankie Boyle's Katie Price jokes censured (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12957309)

It's been 4 months eh? And it seems like it was only yesterday... Haven't heard much from him since really. Under the radar a wee bit.

ladytron
26-12-12, 22:02
No I don't think he overstepped the mark, he wasn't making fun of Harvey, he was making fun of Katie Price and Andy Read: the joke was supposed to demonstrate what selfish people they are. That is to say, he's making fun of Katie Price and other celebrities who use their disabled children for attention and publicity, I have seen countless magazine covers with Katie Price posing with Harvey on the front, with captions such as "I love Harvey no matter what" or "the pain of discovering my son's disabilities", and no she is not doing it to raise awareness for disabled people, it's purely for attention and to raise her profile.

I find it is not too different from the Movie Tropic Thunder, when there was uproar over the Simple Jack character; Ben Stiller wasn't making fun of the mentally disabled, he was taking a swipe at actors who play disabled characters to further their career.

Many people struggle to take care of their disabled loved ones who really do need help, especially now that the government has cut their carer's allowance; these are the issues we need to be talking about, not celebrities and their self-indulgence in seeking praise for fulfilling basic obligations with vastly more resources than most families.

very shy guy
27-12-12, 00:12
No I don't think he overstepped the mark, he wasn't making fun of Harvey, he was making fun of Katie Price and Andy Read: the joke was supposed to demonstrate what selfish people they are. That is to say, he's making fun of Katie Price and other celebrities who use their disabled children for attention and publicity, I have seen countless magazine covers with Katie Price posing with Harvey on the front, with captions such as "I love Harvey no matter what" or "the pain of discovering my son's disabilities", and no she is not doing it to raise awareness for disabled people, it's purely for attention and to raise her profile.

I find it is not too different from the Movie Tropic Thunder, when there was uproar over the Simple Jack character; Ben Stiller wasn't making fun of the mentally disabled, he was taking a swipe at actors who play disabled characters to further their career.

Many people struggle to take care of their disabled loved ones who really do need help, especially now that the government has cut their carer's allowance; these are the issues we need to be talking about, not celebrities and their self-indulgence in seeking praise for fulfilling basic obligations with vastly more resources than most families.

A well thought out post Ladytron and one I agree with 100%.

Martin Ward
27-12-12, 11:32
http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/9c/9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

ladytron
29-12-12, 13:52
http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/9c/9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

Christmas time nobody posts many new threads; pefect opportunity to rummage through nooks and crannies of the forum to dig up some oldies but goodies...