PDA

View Full Version : Is Gay a derogatory term ?

Gaylord
12-10-10, 16:13
Universal Pictures have pulled the trailer for upcoming release The Dilemma amid a row over using the term ‘gay’ as an insult.
The clip opens with actor Vince Vaughn’s character calling electric cars ‘gay’ in a boardroom scene.

Should using this term as a slur have been allowed, or should we get over it?

GL ;)

samlad
12-10-10, 16:14
Universal Pictures have pulled the trailer for upcoming release The Dilemma amid a row over using the term ‘gay’ as an insult.
The clip opens with actor Vince Vaughn’s character calling electric cars ‘gay’ in a boardroom scene.

Should using this term as a slur have been allowed, or should we get over it?

GL ;)

I have many gay friends and they pride themselves on being gay. World gone mad, I feel.

Doozer
12-10-10, 16:30
This topics a bit gay isnt it.

El Gordo
12-10-10, 17:40
It can be used in a derogatory way, or not. I wouldn't use it in a derogatory way, but if a film is depicting a character of the type who would then it's hard to blame them for being realistic. They might have chosen a different scene for the trailer, however.

Rayden
12-10-10, 18:26
I wouldnt be offended by somebody using the word "gay" in a derogatory manner. I hear it often on various tv shows and I think used correctly it can be quite funny. Best example would be South Park.

Gaylord
12-10-10, 20:11
So you do think it implies that somehow you are inferior, because you are gay?

GL

Rayden
12-10-10, 20:34
So you do think it implies that somehow you are inferior, because you are gay?

GL

That is the implication with jokes like that, but I dont mind them. Usually films And TV shows have these kind of jokes with A good deal of irony. It would take a lot to offend me.

El Gordo
12-10-10, 20:46
I wouldnt be offended by somebody using the word "gay" in a derogatory manner. I hear it often on various tv shows and I think used correctly it can be quite funny. Best example would be South Park.

That is the implication with jokes like that, but I dont mind them. Usually films And TV shows have these kind of jokes with A good deal of irony. It would take a lot to offend me.

Are you gay? It's easy not to be offended when it's someone else who is the target.

Rayden
12-10-10, 21:04
Are you gay? It's easy not to be offended when it's someone else who is the target.

I am bisexual.

El Gordo
12-10-10, 21:11
I am bisexual.

Okay. Close enough. Just asking, because if you were straight then not being offended by it wouldn't really mean much.

Gaylord
12-10-10, 21:56
Okay. Close enough. Just asking, because if you were straight then not being offended by it wouldn't really mean much.

Close enough to which? being straight or gay?

GL ;)

dark-knight
12-10-10, 22:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtMUfbJRF4oI am bi too, a lot of my close friends know I often referr to a car and other objects like drinks as a bit gay. Its nothing to take offence to I think. The world is going too politicaly correct, soon we won't be able to say anything.

El Gordo
12-10-10, 22:25
Close enough to which? being straight or gay?

GL ;)

In this context, close enough to gay. If we imagine a world where straight is a derogatory term, like "Have you seen that film? It is so straight!", and if we imagine a thread about whether this is offensive to straight people, and if we further imagine that Rayden posted that he wasn't offended by that usage of the word straight, if we imagine all of that then "close enough" would mean close enough to straight.

It would be an interesting experiment, by the way. Try referring to something as "straight" in a dismissive way and see how people react.

Gaylord
13-10-10, 21:58
Like, have a look @ that guy over there he's mad with the drink in him...That's sooooooo straight :)

How's that ?

GL ;)

Iashaf
13-10-10, 22:00
Only if the penis is pointing in the direction of MY bum.

El Gordo
13-10-10, 22:22
Like, have a look @ that guy over there he's mad with the drink in him...That's sooooooo straight :)

How's that ?

GL ;)

Pretty good, but we should be able to come up with a better example. I'll think about it.

Rayden
13-10-10, 22:41
"Look at that tool in the Chelsea jersey drinking his beer, talking about all the women he has allegedly boned. That is so straight."

El Gordo
13-10-10, 22:54
"Look at that tool in the Chelsea jersey drinking his beer, talking about all the women he has allegedly boned. That is so straight."

Better. I think we're getting there.

Rayden
13-10-10, 22:59
Dont think I have it in me to properly straight-bash. :)

El Gordo
13-10-10, 23:01
Dont think I have it in me to properly straight-bash. :)

That's okay, it's not really a marketable skill.

Gaylord
14-10-10, 01:54
Pretty good, but we should be able to come up with a better example. I'll think about it.

Nah mine was better...

GL ;)

Mousey
18-10-10, 16:28
I too am bisexual.

If I can't get sex, I bi it.

:D

vampirejackie
18-10-10, 16:30
I too am bisexual.

If I can't get sex, I bi it.

:D

That actually made me chuckle :)

Gaylord
18-10-10, 20:41
lol, me too...

GL ;)

Iashaf
18-10-10, 21:52
I am not gay, but what i find is really derogatory is when my boyfriend says I am.

Gaylord
19-10-10, 00:27
I am not gay, but what i find is really derogatory is when my boyfriend says I am.

that's an oldie...

GL :)