PDA

View Full Version : Origin of feck?

Chadman
31-03-16, 02:09
I've heard everyone use it. When did it start lol

SteveB
02-04-16, 17:24
"
Slang expletive employed as an attenuated alternative (minced oath) to fuck to express disbelief, pain, anger, or contempt in a given situation. However, it does not mean to have sex with in the same way that fuck does, and those aware of this use consider it a lesser expletive than fuck.
"

Red and Horny
08-04-16, 20:01
Invented by Fr Jack Hackett.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jdkN57xvekI

SteveB
15-04-16, 19:21
“Feck” means “fuck” no matter what anyone says. It is also pronounced “fack” and it has other variations.

alcatel
15-04-16, 20:05
"
Slang expletive employed as an attenuated alternative (minced oath) to fuck to express disbelief, pain, anger, or contempt in a given situation. However, it does not mean to have sex with in the same way that fuck does, and those aware of this use consider it a lesser expletive than fuck.
"

“Feck” means “fuck” no matter what anyone says. It is also pronounced “fack” and it has other variations.

You fecking use feck instead of fuck, when in the presence of fucking PC cunts,to try to avoid offending them or inviting their opprobrium.

willie wacker
20-04-16, 12:03
I've heard everyone use it. When did it start lol

In his 1881 short story Thrawn Janet, Robert Louis Stevenson invokes the second sense of feck as cited above:

"He had a feck o' books wi' him—mair than had ever been seen before in a' that presbytery..."
Robert Burns uses the third sense of feck in the final stanza of his 1792 poem "Kellyburn Braes":

I hae been a Devil the feck o' my life,
Hey, and the rue grows bonie wi' thyme;
"But ne'er was in hell till I met wi' a wife,"
And the thyme it is wither'd, and rue is in prime

So has been around since 1792

The D Man
20-04-16, 15:36
Would have thought that feck is the more polite version of fuck that. Maybe not:dunno:

SteveB
20-04-16, 20:13
In his 1881 short story Thrawn Janet, Robert Louis Stevenson invokes the second sense of feck as cited above:

"He had a feck o' books wi' him—mair than had ever been seen before in a' that presbytery..."
Robert Burns uses the third sense of feck in the final stanza of his 1792 poem "Kellyburn Braes":

I hae been a Devil the feck o' my life,
Hey, and the rue grows bonie wi' thyme;
"But ne'er was in hell till I met wi' a wife,"
And the thyme it is wither'd, and rue is in prime

So has been around since 1792

This a Scottish meaning that is a completely different meaning from the Irish one.
Feck is a Scottish variant of effect, as in personal effects or belongings.

SteveB
20-04-16, 21:01
Would have thought that feck is the more polite version of fuck that. Maybe not:dunno:

“Feck” means “fuck”.

There are a lot of milder forms of swear words about and some of them are not obvious.
“Jerk” or “berk” seems mild enough but it is really cockney rhyming slang for “Berkley Hunt” . And we all know what “hunt” rhymes with. :D

“Clot” as in “stupid clot” also seems mild and English upper class but it is an abbreviation for several Germanic and Eastern European words that also rhyme with “hunt” in English.
And when calling someone a “pillock” it should be known that this is an old English word meaning “penis”. A “plonker” is also a penis.

“Strewth” is short for “God’s strength”.
“Blimey”, or “cor blimey” is “God blind me”.
“Crikey” means “Christ”.
“Bejabbers” means “shit”.
“Prat” means an “arse”.

Even some old words often quoted in films by knights and pirates are not so innocent.
“Gazooks” means “God’s hooks” or “God’s nails”.
“Zounds” is “God’s wounds”.
“Odsblood” is “God’s blood”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBhPDxszukU&feature=youtu.be

bollocks
20-04-16, 22:48
“Feck” means “fuck”.

There are a lot of milder forms of swear words about and some of them are not obvious.
“Jerk” or “berk” seems mild enough but it is really cockney rhyming slang for “Berkley Hunt” . And we all know what “hunt” rhymes with. :D

“Clot” as in “stupid clot” also seems mild and English upper class but it is an abbreviation for several Germanic and Eastern European words that also rhyme with “hunt” in English.
And when calling someone a “pillock” it should be known that this is an old English word meaning “penis”. A “plonker” is also a penis.

“Strewth” is short for “God’s strength”.
“Blimey”, or “cor blimey” is “God blind me”.
“Crikey” means “Christ”.
“Bejabbers” means “shit”.
“Prat” means an “arse”.

Even some old words often quoted in films by knights and pirates are not so innocent.
“Gazooks” means “God’s hooks” or “God’s nails”.
“Zounds” is “God’s wounds”.
“Odsblood” is “God’s blood”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBhPDxszukU&feature=youtu.be

Fucken in tell ect you als.

TheNightShift
20-04-16, 23:44
uhmm... learning here...:bigeyes::paddy-smiley3:
Good night Guys..
xxxxx

The D Man
21-04-16, 13:18
uhmm... learning here...:bigeyes::paddy-smiley3: