PDA

View Full Version : Ireland to bid 2023 RWC

Stella
05-12-14, 10:46
That be really great, probably I'll already leave Ireland by 2023 but would be a great excuse to visit my friends here and watch a bit, ok a lot of rugby :) :D

What do you think about Ireland chances?

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/33202.php

peregine
05-12-14, 11:41
Chances? Two, slim amd none. Both hosting the world cup and winning it.:D

"Tease me with stockinged legs, suspenders and high heels.!":cool:

P.S. Hands off Croke Park.

Klittyliker
05-12-14, 11:51
It would be great if Ireland go to host the RWC but I think the chance are slim especially with England hosting in 2015.

I don't think they would award it to us because we're "next door" to England. However, France hosted a few years ago so it might be our "turn". ;)

Ireland have a decent chance in next years World Cup, should at least make the Semi Finals I hope.

:)

Stella
05-12-14, 11:55
Chances? Two, slim amd none. Both hosting the world cup and winning it.:D

"Tease me with stockinged legs, suspenders and high heels.!":cool:

P.S. Hands off Croke Park.

Obviously I was thinking hosting only, as the current squad will retire by than, except few young players like Henshaw :)

Stella
05-12-14, 11:56
It would be great if Ireland go to host the RWC but I think the chance are slim especially with England hosting in 2015.

I don't think they would award it to us because we're "next door" to England. However, France hosted a few years ago so it might be our "turn". ;)

Ireland have a decent chance in next years World Cup, should at least make the Semi Finals I hope.

:)

Japan 2019, so might be in Europe in 2023 again no? :) ;)

Klittyliker
05-12-14, 12:14
Japan 2019, so might be in Europe in 2023 again no? :) ;)

Dunno, I think one of the bigger southern hemisphere countries might put in a strong bid: South Africa or Australia most likely.

They would have the influence to make it happen I think.

talkabout
05-12-14, 15:13
That be really great, probably I'll already leave Ireland by 2023 but would be a great excuse to visit my friends here and watch a bit, ok a lot of rugby :) :D

What do you think about Ireland chances?

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/33202.php

Great if it comes off.

If you're not in you can't win!

D90
11-12-14, 10:23
World cup here would be unbelievable!

The D Man
11-12-14, 13:12
Am all in favour of the world cup potentially being held here. There was world cup pool matches played here before if I remember correctly.

westcorklad
11-12-14, 14:32
i hope they do too, but i think it will come down to if we can beat france in our group game. If we top our group then we avoid new zealand n the quarter final, and would probably play argentina instead. But as you said heres hoping. It would be great if we got to host the 2023 world cup.

It seems that there will be a joint bid from the USA and Canada for the 2023 World Cup.The world governing body of Rugby is keen to develop the game worldwide as they did when they chose Japan for the 2019 tournament so I think they may just go for this one. Hopefully though I am wrong as it would be the biggest sporting event ever to take place in this country.

ocred
16-12-14, 12:07
Just read that the planning permission for the re-development of Casement Park has been denied. This could put the kybosh on the bid.

hornady
17-12-14, 12:14
Great boost for Irish Rugby, and good for business girls !

The D Man
15-11-16, 15:50
ireland launched their bid today and casement park is included as one of the venues. Its hoped that casement will be open by 2020. If we get it its would be worth more than 800m to the irish economy. Good luck with it.

Casement could be the issue here. There has been a long delay already in that project. Also the plans to re-develop the RDS are being opposed as far as I know. There is a good geographical spread in the GAA grounds as well. Every province has a ground named as a venue. Limerick GAA are probably unhappy that the Gaelic Grounds has not been selected.

westcorklad
15-11-17, 13:20
France have today won the vote for RWC 2023 hosts which went against the recommendation. Ireland finished last in the first round of voting and were eliminated at that stage.So I think they can forget about hosting the tournament any time in the next 20 years as Australia, the USA/Canada, Argentina, Italy and South Africa would all be more likely to be awarded it.

willie wacker
15-11-17, 16:00
France have today won the vote for RWC 2023 hosts which went against the recommendation. Ireland finished last in the first round of voting and were eliminated at that stage.So I think they can forget about hosting the tournament any time in the next 20 years as Australia, the USA/Canada, Argentina, Italy and South Africa would all be more likely to be awarded it.

It seems England were the only one of the home Nations who voted for us
So much for our Celtic Cousins :rolleyes:

casman
15-11-17, 17:25
After last night and today, I think i'm depressed:(, 'i'll have to see a lady to cheer me up:)

Barney Rubble
15-11-17, 17:43
It seems England were the only one of the home Nations who voted for us
So much for our Celtic Cousins :rolleyes:

Apparently Theresa May asked the English RFU to vote for us. Maybe she wants us to join her in brexit.

westcorklad
15-11-17, 18:09
That was a surprise france being awarded it. Thought south africa would get it.

Yes so much for the recommendation. I would think that a lot of behind closed doors deals were done by the French to get the votes they did. Still I don`t think that Ireland can realistically have too many complaints about the outcome what with the stadium and infrastructure problems etc. Still for all that it has been a depressing 24 hours for Irish sport.

Johnniboi042
09-06-18, 12:50
It was a fucking disgrace that Wales and Scotland didn't vote for us, the craic would have been mighty