PDA

View Full Version : Love running? Love zombies? There's an app for that.

Lara Mills
28-01-14, 11:59
It seems that now there is an app for almost everything, and a lot of them are exercise challenges of some sort. Just last week I downloaded a "7 minute" exercise app and, after using it every day, I'm definitely feeling the burn!

Some bright spark has realised that there are too many 'boring' running apps, where all you do is run and then look where you went afterwards. This person decided that we need a story to listen to. We need some interaction. We need... zombies?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlRgBvYFxTo

Zombies, Run! is an app you can buy for your phone or other device to take with you when you run. It gives you an interesting story while you run around and encourages you to pick up speed by warning that zombies are behind you. Here's the summary from the site:

Zombies, Run! works anywhere and at any speed. We immerse you in an action-packed game and story mixed with your own music, whether you're jogging in a park, running along a trail, walking to work, or even running on treadmills.And if you want a serious workout, turn on thrilling zombie chases that force you to speed up to escape the hordes!

There is also another version of the app, which is 5K Training and especially designed for beginners. It trains you over 8 weeks to be able to run 5K, while still having the story to keep you going. Here's the summary:

8 weeks to become a hero
You’re Runner 5, a vital member of one of the last outposts of humanity at Abel Township. Over the course of an eight week, 25 workout training programme, you’re trained to help collect supplies and protect the town from the encroaching zombie apocalypse.

After reading about this, I'm really tempted to buy the 5K Training. I'd love to be able to go out running but listening to music while I do it is pretty boring for me, and I would need training. This seems like it will be perfect for me :D Have you tried it? What do you think of the idea?

Information taken from the Zombies, Run! website, which you can find here (https://www.zombiesrungame.com).

ocred
28-01-14, 13:02
That sure beats 'Map My Run' anyway. Great idea :)

Do they do a marathon version?

Lara Mills
28-01-14, 13:09
That sure beats 'Map My Run' anyway. Great idea :)

Do they do a marathon version?

I hope there is, or that there will be, because that would be a great idea :) I wonder how a marathon version would work, though?

ocred
28-01-14, 13:16
I hope there is, or that there will be, because that would be a great idea :) I wonder how a marathon version would work, though?

I'm thinking of running the marathon this year and it would be a deadly training aid. Infact it's more suited to longer distance running because when you have been out for a while you tend to get stuck at a certain pace. Nothing like been chased by the Walking Dead to get you out of our comfort zone!!!

NoBrain2
28-01-14, 15:55
It would be confusing if they called them walkers lol

blueberry
28-01-14, 22:22
That's a cool app I am training for a Triathlon at moment