PDA

View Full Version : Gerrard better than Keane?

lovethegirls
28-10-13, 03:42
Joey Barton recently said Steven Gerrard is a better player than Roy Keane was. I tend to agree. Interested to get some opinions.

tayto1965
28-10-13, 03:48
Joey Barton recently said Steven Gerrard is a better player than Roy Keane was. I tend to agree. Interested to get some opinions.
Joey Barton is an idiot , and Gerrard is not better than Roy Keane .

lovethegirls
28-10-13, 03:52
Joey Barton is an idiot , and Gerrard is not better than Roy Keane .

Agree about Barton disagree about Gerrard and Keane.

oneeyedreilly
28-10-13, 06:28
Gerrard is a typical overrated English player. In his younger days he would run from box to box like any typical headless chicken ' world class English player such as Bryan Robson. Now he can't even do that, he's like Becham, the odd good long pass, takes corners, frees and peno's and precious little else.

lovethegirls
28-10-13, 06:46
Gerrard is a typical overrated English player. In his younger days he would run from box to box like any typical headless chicken ' world class English player such as Bryan Robson. Now he can't even do that, he's like Becham, the odd good long pass, takes corners, frees and peno's and precious little else.

You not see his goal last week for England then

ocred
28-10-13, 08:20
Not really comparing like with like. Yes they played in the middle of the park but Gerrard is a more attack minded midfielder whereas Keane was not so much. Gerrard's habit of scoring long range crackers means he would look better in a highlights reel than Keane but a big part of Keane's game was how he influenced those around him. His performances for Ireland in the 2002 World Cup qualifiers especially v Holland at home were some of the most complete I have ever seen from a midfielder. That game against Holland he was so immense that its easy to forget we played the last 30 minutes of that game with 10 men.

Luk4fun
28-10-13, 09:37
Both great players but keanes will to win at any cost does it for me. But then again I'm Irish so probably a little bias. Keano Keano Keano..

barrney500
28-10-13, 10:45

You got to be having a laugh. Gerrard is THE most over-rated player of his generation. Keane was the complete midfielder who could boss a game and take control of it. Yes Gerrard when he was younger had a good engine and could run from box to box and yes he does score some cracking goals from time to time but as regards controlling the midfield and bossing a game he is not fit to lace keanes boots. All u have to do to answer this question is watch any match when both were in opposition on the pitch and u will see that Gerrard was anonymous.

beaner21
28-10-13, 11:27
they are both equally good, gerrard is obviously a better attacking player, while keane could control and boss a midfield. and in my opinion although they had different captaincy styles they are pretty equal in that regard too.

thumbles
28-10-13, 12:10
Two great players with different styles so its hardly fair
Gerrard is all about the big games for me and done nothin with england
Keane is more consistent in every game so I wud pick keane and probably pick him over any midfielder in his era

richieboy
28-10-13, 12:41
Keane on the field when it mattered keane was there gerrard is a great player but when it come down to pure commitment has to be keane.

Best Before
29-10-13, 10:32
Gerrard is a more professional player. He conduts himself off the pitch as well as on.
Keane is too gobby and always putting down others around him when there is no need.
Having said that, I would agree with a few posters here and say on the pitch Keane did more if not as spectacular as Gerrard.
On a final Note, I think Gerrard is having one of his best seasons in the past 4 years or so.

AbsoluteNoob
29-10-13, 14:34
Gerrard is a more professional player. He conduts himself off the pitch as well as on.
Keane is too gobby and always putting down others around him when there is no need.
Having said that, I would agree with a few posters here and say on the pitch Keane did more if not as spectacular as Gerrard.
On a final Note, I think Gerrard is having one of his best seasons in the past 4 years or so.

Like that time he knocked out some random fella in a club? Him and his mates jumped him because he wouldn't give up the juke box? Or when he said in his autobiography that he just wished Man United "would die"? What about his diving antics? I can give you proof ....

Best Before
29-10-13, 16:40
Like that time he knocked out some random fella in a club? Him and his mates jumped him because he wouldn't give up the juke box? Or when he said in his autobiography that he just wished Man United "would die"? What about his diving antics? I can give you proof ....

Gerrard or Keane?

screwloose
29-10-13, 17:05
keane gets my vote but not much in it to be honest:)

Martin Ward
29-10-13, 17:08
Daft to compare. They are both "top, top players., and no team would begrudge having either in their team

AbsoluteNoob
29-10-13, 19:05
Gerrard or Keane?

Yeah, I know, the Daily Rag but still.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1201118/Steven-Gerrard-punched-man-like-boxer-bar-brawl-court-sees-CCTV.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GKXAKQY-0Y

ManHold
29-10-13, 19:15
Yeah, I know, the Daily Rag but still.

yeap Keane only dived in to break peoples legs. So now both a cheats. What else to compare?

AbsoluteNoob
29-10-13, 19:40

yeap Keane only dived in to break peoples legs. So now both a cheats. What else to compare?

Er .... I wasn't arguing for Keane and his "impeccable" behaviour on and off the pitch, I was arguing against the point Best Before made regarding Gerrard and how he "conducts himself on and off the pitch"

ManHold
29-10-13, 19:58
Er .... I wasn't arguing for Keane and his "impeccable" behaviour on and off the pitch, I was arguing against the point Best Before made regarding Gerrard and how he "conducts himself on and off the pitch"

Yeah correct, but currently Gerard is just a blah blah man when interviewed. Doubt you will hear anything spicey from him until he retires and writes a book

Morpheus
29-10-13, 23:47

That really depends on whether you are a Liverpool or Man U fan!!!;)

You only know how important a midfielder is to a team when he finally leaves the team/retires. So for me the jury is out until Gerard retires from Liverpool. Although I've always admired Gerard more. I think Keane was surrounded by better players, while Gerard has been Liverpools best player for a long time.

I think Viera was probably a more influencial midfielder than either of the above. When he left Arsenal they were a completely different team (for the worse).

Best Before
30-10-13, 09:44

I have already said that Keane is a better player on the pitch, and you try to pick holes in my statement by showing a video clip of Gerrard diving on a handful of occasions!!
I'm sure you have got a point :rolleyes:

AbsoluteNoob
30-10-13, 13:56
I have already said that Keane is a better player on the pitch, and you try to pick holes in my statement by showing a video clip of Gerrard diving on a handful of occasions!!
I'm sure you have got a point :rolleyes:

Twice now you have ignored my original point. IT'S NOT ABOUT WHO IS BETTER. You said Gerrard conducts himself "on and off the pitch" in a good manner and I proved you wrong. That was all. Nothing about quality of said players. But their conduct. If you have problems with people refuting statements you post on an open forum then why give your opinion at all?

Best Before
30-10-13, 14:29
Twice now you have ignored my original point. IT'S NOT ABOUT WHO IS BETTER. You said Gerrard conducts himself "on and off the pitch" in a good manner and I proved you wrong. That was all. Nothing about quality of said players. But their conduct. If you have problems with people refuting statements you post on an open forum then why give your opinion at all?

You haven't proved anything buddy except that your living up to your name!!

AbsoluteNoob
30-10-13, 15:27

Quoted again because you can't even comprehend what YOU posted. :lmao: Your ignorance is astounding.

redforever
04-11-13, 08:42
Keane on the field when it mattered keane was there gerrard is a great player but when it come down to pure commitment has to be keane.

Keane on the field when it mattered . . that's a joke
It mattered in Saipan and where was he ? out walking the dog !

Best Before
04-11-13, 10:17
Quoted again because you can't even comprehend what YOU posted. :lmao: Your ignorance is astounding.

Sorry for not replying to you earlier, I had a hectic weekend.
Your Reference to my original quote, has not gone unnoticed :rolleyes: Feel free to enlarge it even more if you think it gets your point across :D

You say you have proof to Contradict my original statement, which was only my opinion BTW :)

I originally gave my opinion, I think I'm entitled to that!! The same way you are entitled to your yours. But to say you proof to disprove my opinion I just found it a bit condescending. It may not have being your intention to come across that way, but that's how it looked.
I still stand by my original testament, if that's okay with you :)

AbsoluteNoob
04-11-13, 11:20
Jesus Christ almighty why am I replying. Your opinion is that Gerrard conducts himself on and off the pitch, I showed you evidence contrary to that. I can have the opinion that Aldolf Hitler is a good man, I'd be wrong, but it's my opinion.

Extreme comparison, but my point still stands. Your opinion is factually wrong. Sorry bout' that.

:) <----- Look, I can post sarcastic smileys too! Here's another! :)

Your "opinion" about Gerrard is wrong, simple as that. He DOESN'T conduct himself on and off the pitch, why can't you accept I proved you wrong? Show me otherwise that Gerrard didn't jump on some fella and give him a hiding ... so me evidence contrary to Gerrard diving/cheating ....

I showed you proof, now you so me.

:)

One more sarcastic smiley for the road.

Best Before
04-11-13, 11:42
Jesus Christ almighty why am I replying. Your opinion is that Gerrard conducts himself on and off the pitch, I showed you evidence contrary to that. I can have the opinion that Aldolf Hitler is a good man, I'd be wrong, but it's my opinion.

Extreme comparison, but my point still stands. Your opinion is factually wrong. Sorry bout' that.

:) <----- Look, I can post sarcastic smileys too! Here's another! :)

Your "opinion" about Gerrard is wrong, simple as that. He DOESN'T conduct himself on and off the pitch, why can't you accept I proved you wrong? Show me otherwise that Gerrard didn't jump on some fella and give him a hiding ... so me evidence contrary to Gerrard diving/cheating ....

I showed you proof, now you so me.

:)

One more sarcastic smiley for the road.

You can't prove an opinion wrong. Fact!
You can try but you will ultimately fail, and this can probably explain why your getting so irate about such a innocuous statement.
Why don't you quit while your behind :D

AbsoluteNoob
04-11-13, 18:58
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Nathan-Fillion-Loss-For-Words-Reaction-Gif.gif

I can't deal with this idiot anymore. Every one of your responses have been off topic and ad hominems.

Best Before
05-11-13, 10:24
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Nathan-Fillion-Loss-For-Words-Reaction-Gif.gif

I can't deal with this idiot anymore. Every one of your responses have been off topic and ad hominems.

We will agree to differ then. Which if you bothered to read my responses, was my point all along.
Good day Sir.

The Bunk
11-12-13, 07:53
Going off the thread title here, but did anyone watch the keane v viera, best of enemys documentary tonight. I thought it was good, intersting answer by keane on who was the best manager he had.

Didn't see it I presume it was Brian Clough? Back on topic I couldn't call who is greater both players are ( were) world class both flawed somewhat Gerrard has had his slumps but on his day can be awesome and very faithfull to Liverpool and greater longevity. Keane was more stable and would control the game more he could slow it down let united regroup and pass the ball to the likes Beckham, Cantona, Van nistilroy, Cole, York all the brilliant strikers and they would bang it in the net. This made (rightfully so ) Keane look awesome, he had better strikers to show his skill whereas Gerrard didn't have the same luxery so he in turn takes more shots on goal. Both superb players Keane would be less selfish with the ball because of his situation, Gerrard and lamp are can't play together giving an example.

If I were to pick a player? Probably Keane that's if he decided to play lol.

Ps I don't like Keane but that's not the point here.

feargailge
11-12-13, 16:38
Gerald probably has better shooting skills but apart from that he is a total inferior player to Keane. Baron is just a lowlife with a huge mouth who should keep it to himself.

ocred
11-12-13, 22:46
Going off the thread title here, but did anyone watch the keane v viera, best of enemys documentary tonight. I thought it was good, intersting answer by keane on who was the best manager he had.

RTE are showing it next week

blueberry
12-12-13, 20:24
I think keane just by a small bit keane has the work rate leadership and won a lot but gerrard is a good passer and has great vision especially when he was playing with Torres

Rebellad
28-12-13, 12:02
not even close