PDA

View Full Version : Being a Supporter

The D Man
23-10-13, 14:18
Being passionate is one of the defining features of true sports fans no matter what the sport.
Depending on the team, the supporter is supporting that passion can be tested and as a result of these tests, it can become deeper and deeper.
When success does come that supporter is happy not just for himself but more importantly for the team and management and former players who put in all the hard struggle and strife.
He recognises the achievement that has taken place and values it more than a supporter of a team that has constant success.

What do you think a supporter is? Discuss

mills68
23-10-13, 14:26
I would understand a supporter to be someone who has a true belief in the team, idea or whatever they are putting their weight behind.
The level of support should be constant whether riding the waves or struggling through difficulty.

The D Man
25-10-13, 09:27
I think a supporter is one that sticks by their team through thick and thin, good times and bad. And in the case of gaelic games , i think there is a big difference between a genuine supporter and one that jst turns up on the big day. Ive seen people attend all-ireland semi finals and finals, that wouldnt have been at a national league game all year.

So true about the big match "supporter" Ketchup. Don't think it will change though.
Another aspect I was thinking about was supporters supporting a team that very rarely or never have success. What is it that makes them support that team? Is it love of the game, they have a relation involved, they are known by the team and management. Are these people the real supporters?

richieboy
25-10-13, 10:05
Being a supporter off a team is someone who will go to watch his team rain hale or even show at times depending on what sport he supports I remember years ago going to watch my team playing we would have a full car load heading off flask and sandwiches in the boot those were the day it has changed a lot now its all on the tv not the same as been in the crowd live games are way better .

ocred
26-10-13, 13:26
Maybe a little off-topic but here's 20 different types of Irish sports fan. How many can you recognise :D

http://balls.ie/football/irish-sports/

lovethegirls
26-10-13, 17:23
I think a supporter is one that sticks by their team through thick and thin, good times and bad. And in the case of gaelic games , i think there is a big difference between a genuine supporter and one that jst turns up on the big day. Ive seen people attend all-ireland semi finals and finals, that wouldnt have been at a national league game all year.

Completely agree when a team are going through a baron spell the true supporters stand out. As been said already when success comes it will be all the more sweeter. Thats what i keep telling myself anyway lol

Jaygoodtimes
17-12-13, 02:04
Yeah Ketchup makes some good points and I agree with him for the most part. However, being a supporter of Arsenal the patience of fans if tested quite regularly, whether it be on the pitch or in the boardroom. Overall I love Arsenal, a club steeped in history and a team who has always been passionate and privileged putting on the jersey. I dont purchase merchandise anymore, I havent bought a jersey since 2006 and perhaps I never will again as I dont believe wearing it makes me anymore of a supported. The main reason I dont buy though Is because of the way the club is ran and the complete disregard the management and owners have towards the people who keep them in their jobs, the fans!. My own goal for Arsenal for this year was to make the top 4 again and thats it, and even with the start we have made I believe that the top 4 is going to all that we achieve.

I also support my local team and do attend all the games, but at the end of the day whoever you support no matter what sport you have to stick by them through the good times and the bad times.