PDA

View Full Version : Murray gets Becker at Wimbeldon

Martin Ward
21-06-13, 12:08
Britain's Andy Murray will face Germany's world number 95 Benjamin Becker in the first round of Wimbledon.
The world number two is in the same quarter of the draw as sixth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, of France.

Murray, 26, avoided a possible quarter-final against Rafael Nadal, but could face the Spaniard or defending champion Roger Federer in the last four.
Nadal, seeded fifth after missing seven months of the last year through injury, may meet Federer in the quarter-finals.
Tradition dictates that reigning champion Federer will open play on Centre Court on Monday, meaning both Murray and Nadal will also be in action on a packed first day that includes Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka.
In the women's draw, Serena Williams is on a career-best winning streak of 31 matches and is an overwhelming favourite to win a sixth singles title.
The American will play Luxembourg's Mandy Minella in the first round on Tuesday, while second seed Azarenka plays Portugal's Maria Joao Koehler on Monday.
British number one Laura Robson faces a tough task against world number 10 Maria Kirilenko on Tuesday, while Heather Watson takes on American rising star Madison Keys.
There is every chance Robson's match will be scheduled for a show court, and speaking earlier in the week the 19-year-old said: "I'm happy playing on any court against any player. I'm just happy to be playing at Wimbledon.
"I don't need a wildcard or anything like that, so I'm pretty happy with how things are going. Ideally I'd like to not face Serena first round, but you have to play whoever you get."
Johanna Konta is up against Serbia's former world number one Jelena Jankovic, Elena Baltacha plays Italian Flavia Pennetta, Anne Keothavong faces Spaniard Garbine Muguruza, Tara Moore meets Estonian Kaia Kanepi, and Samantha Murray takes on Italian Camila Giorgi.
There are 10 Britons in the singles draws, with 18-year-old wildcard Kyle Edmund likely to be the centre of much attention when he plays Poland's 24th seed Jerzy Janowicz.
"It's Wimbledon, I'll play on any court," Edmund said ahead of the draw. "If I play on Centre Court it would be amazing, but the chance of getting support on an outside court is just as good, and I'll be ready to play on anything."
British number two James Ward has the potential prize of a second-round clash with Andy Murray, should the Londoner get past world number 74 Yen-Hsun Lu.
World number one Novak Djokovic, meanwhile, would avoid Murray, Federer and Nadal until the final, with fourth seed David Ferrer in his half of the draw.
Seven-time champion Federer plays Romania's Victor Hanescu on Monday, while Murray was handed a rematch with 32-year-old Becker, the man he beat on his way to victory at Queen's Club last week.
Murray, who lost in four sets to Federer in last year's final, played down the significance of the draw earlier in the week, saying in his BBC Sport column: "As a player you can't get too obsessed about the draw.
"If you want to win the biggest tournaments, you have to beat the best players in the world. It doesn't really matter where they are in the draw."
Nadal begins his campaign against Belgian Steve Darcis and, if results go in line with seedings, the 2008 and 2010 champion would have to beat Federer, Murray and Djokovic to win his third Wimbledon title.
Top seed Djokovic, the 2011 champion, will play Germany's Florian Mayer in his opening match on Tuesday.

Could this be Murray's year????

westcorklad
21-06-13, 12:29
Could this be Murray's year????

Jeez Martin. For a moment I thought Boom Boom Boris had come out of retirement!!!!!!!!
Anyway Murray has had a massive boost to his game over the last 12 months having finally broken his duck in the Grand Slam tournaments and also winning the Olympic gold medal at Wimbledon last year.
He should at least reach the semi finals but he will be up against it if he plays Federer at that stage.Should he face Nadal I would back him to win the match.All to play for really.