PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Fergie

westcorklad
08-05-13, 08:29
Man Utd have announced that Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season after almost 27 years as manager.The speculation has already started as to who his replacement will be with Jose Mourinho and David Moyes being the front runners at the moment.

Stella
08-05-13, 08:49
Man Utd have announced that Alex Ferguson is to retire at the end of the season after almost 27 years as manager.The speculation has already started as to who his replacement will be with Jose Mourinho and David Moyes being the front runners at the moment.

already signed for Chelsea isnt he?

TomEA
08-05-13, 08:51
already signed for Chelsea isnt he?

Only rumours as far as I am aware. Would have thought Fergie would have stayed for another season, now that he has retired, I can't see a reason Mourinho wouldn't jump on the oppertunity.

redforever
08-05-13, 08:54

Cheerio Cheerio Cheerio :)
never got to win the European Cup for the third time which he craved so much like sir bob

WatWatWat
08-05-13, 09:03
Never liked him. Far too negative. . . FAI have him for the Ireland job.

westcorklad
08-05-13, 09:19
never got to win the European Cup for the third time which he craved so much like sir bob

Yeah that is why I am surprised that he isnt staying on for at least another season to give that one more crack but at the end of the day his trophy haul may never be beaten or even matched.

dob
08-05-13, 09:27
Yeah that is why I am surprised that he isnt staying on for at least another season to give that one more crack but at the end of the day his trophy haul may never be beaten or even matched.

I remember the guy that saw him getting off a train kicking him in the nuts, went to court and all.

A bit of an ignoramus if you ask me, a little hitler type happening in at the right place and time. I remember when he was going to be sacked in 1990.

Martin Ward
08-05-13, 09:29
I remember the guy that saw him getting off a train kicking him in the nuts, went to court and all.

A bit of an ignoramus if you ask me, a little hitler type happening in at the right place and time. I remember when he was going to be sacked in 1990.

Forest away in the cup....

Clyde
08-05-13, 09:39
I believe he's getting a hip operation and that will keep him out for 6 months can't see him going but if he does that will put it up to Jose and the bidding will start for the big pay ..

Dublad77
08-05-13, 09:42
Shares in Wrigley's have plummeted.

redforever
08-05-13, 09:46
Never liked him. Far too negative. . . FAI have him for the Ireland job.
too young for the ireland job wattie he's only 71:) on a bright note if he did take the ireland job we could still keep the sexy intepreter:D
well its either her or clyde

Clyde
08-05-13, 09:50
The interesting thing is Jose and Ronaldo have the same agent so we could see big big money changing hands I think Manchini is at the end also so who goes where is going to keep us thinking over the summer. I wouldn't like to see Fergie go cos you always need someone to hate .......:D

richieboy
08-05-13, 09:52
Im not a man united fan but i have to say that alex ferguson was a fantastic manager hope he enjoys his retirement.

Big J
08-05-13, 09:56
Red he may not be like Bob,but like him or hate him he is the greatest manager of them all,nobody will ever again beat his atchievments....not in our lifetime anyway.

Ted E Bear
08-05-13, 09:59
It will be very hard for a new manager to have the same control over the players as Fergie with him still involved at the club.

The D Man
08-05-13, 10:03
For us united fans it was going to happen someday. It is a sad day. His record is fanastic. The only thing that is missing is another champions League. The key question now is who is going to be the successor. Very important decision in order to keep the club at the top.

redforever
08-05-13, 10:09
It's sad to see the road football has taken lately . The retirement announcement was meant to happen tomorrow but with growing speculation on the new york stock exchange it had to be brought forward to today

Martin Ward
08-05-13, 10:15
I think when you get to that elite level of manager, it is insulting to say one is better than the other.

The likes of Shanks, Paisley and Fergie are men whose achievements will never be beaten amd who will never be forgotten.

And Fergie only won the European cup twice

Ted E Bear
08-05-13, 10:16
It's sad to see the road football has taken lately . The retirement announcement was meant to happen tomorrow but with growing speculation on the new york stock exchange it had to be brought forward to today

It's sad alright,but then the club is 800 million in debt and have 40 million in interest payments a year so they have to play the game to keep the share holders on side.

Big J
08-05-13, 10:18
Your right there,but football in general at the top level is crap,i looked at some of division 1 at the weekend and id much prefer that kind of football where teams are going at each other hell for leather.im looking forward now to the playoffs,they will be great games.

redforever
08-05-13, 10:20
Your right there,but football in general at the top level is crap,i looked at some of division 1 at the weekend and id much prefer that kind of football where teams are going at each other hell for leather.im looking forward now to the playoffs,they will be great games.
yeah always good games in the play offs looking forward to them

very shy guy
08-05-13, 10:29

Whatever he was Dob,no one can take away what he did for United,he was already a legend with what he did with Aberdeen,if he is retiring good luck to him,pretty big shoes to fill and a minefield for anyone,just hope Jose goes to Chelsea as unlike somethings,it is never as good second time round.

very shy guy
08-05-13, 10:33
I think when you get to that elite level of manager, it is insulting to say one is better than the other.

The likes of Shanks, Paisley and Fergie are men whose achievements will never be beaten amd who will never be forgotten.

They are from a different Era,Fergie coming at the end,football has gone mad now,it is more about the stock exchange than the football.

westcorklad
08-05-13, 10:34
Whatever he was Dob,no one can take away what he did for United,he was already a legend with what he did with Aberdeen,if he is retiring good luck to him,pretty big shoes to fill and a minefield for anyone,just hope Jose goes to Chelsea as unlike somethings,it is never as good second time round.

According to latest reports an announcement is going to be made by the weekend about Fergies replacement with David Moyes now the clear favourite for the job.

very shy guy
08-05-13, 10:35
Forest away in the cup....

Mark Robins saved his bacon alright.

Martin Ward
08-05-13, 10:37
Mark Robins saved his bacon alright.

Robins saved his bacon in the semi final as well...how easy it would be to have pulled the trigger.

That is why i get annoyed with today's knee-jerk approach to firing managers if there isn't instant success

westcorklad
08-05-13, 10:38

In fairness thats not a bad record; only Bob Paisley won it more often as manager of a British club.

Martin Ward
08-05-13, 10:39
In fairness thats not a bad achievement only Bob Paisley won it more often.

Was just jibbing. Total respect for Ferguson

very shy guy
08-05-13, 11:11
Robins saved his bacon in the semi final as well...how easy it would be to have pulled the trigger.

That is why i get annoyed with today's knee-jerk approach to firing managers if there isn't instant success

A sentiment echoed by Fergie himself,still think Liverpool is going in the right direction.

very shy guy
08-05-13, 11:14
According to latest reports an announcement is going to be made by the weekend about Fergies replacement with David Moyes now the clear favourite for the job.

A chip of the old block,I have huge respect for Moyes,just hope it is not a poisoned chalice.

Martin Ward
08-05-13, 11:16
A sentiment echoed by Fergie himself,still think Liverpool is going in the right direction.

Same here, big summer for us.

As for Fergie, fair play to him. He has re-invented the team over and over again, so any accusation that he just struck lucky with the class of 1992 coming through.

Big shoes to fill, though it is looking like Moyes

Usernamed
08-05-13, 11:25
What a legend. It's gonna be weird not seeing Fergie standing at the side lines screaming at the officials, he's been there since I was 6 or 7. Nobody is ever going to fill his shoes, lookin' forward to seeing who gets the job and how they get on at it. I honestly thought he'd another season in him, but with surgery etc it's the right time.

It'll be nice to Sir Bobby & Sir Alex sitting in the stands watching their team play.

Martin Ward
08-05-13, 11:27
What a legend. It's gonna be weird not seeing Fergie standing at the side lines screaming at the officials, he's been there since I was 6 or 7. Nobody is ever going to fill his shoes, lookin' forward to seeing who gets the job and how they get on at it. I honestly thought he'd another season in him, but with surgery etc it's the right time.

It'll be nice to Sir Bobby & Sir Alex sitting in the stands watching their team play.

I really think if it wasn't for the surgery he would have stayed until the 30 years. Sadly he won't be as mobile and I think that was the clincher

Jericho
08-05-13, 11:27
Same here, big summer for us.

As for Fergie, fair play to him. He has re-invented the team over and over again, so any accusation that he just struck lucky with the class of 1992 coming through.

Big shoes to fill, though it is looking like Moyes

Big shoes to fill alright, there's also talk of Jurgen Klopp from Borussia Dortmund as a possible replacement.

Martin Ward
08-05-13, 11:29
Big shoes to fill alright, there's also talk of Jurgen Klopp from Borussia Dortmund as a possible replacement.

I was speaking to someone in the office and how we both rated him (the exact template Rodgers said he wasnt at our place)

Have to say though, i think they will want a 'name', and due to the English arrogance towards the German league, it won't be Klopp.

Though I think he could be the best man for the job

Usernamed
08-05-13, 11:30
I really think if it wasn't for the surgery he would have stayed until the 30 years. Sadly he won't be as mobile and I think that was the clincher

Give him a year or so to recover, he might pull a Scholes.

Martin Ward
08-05-13, 11:33

And there you have the problem with his staying in the background...you are already mentioning him coming back, and let's face it, the fans will call for it if they lose two games on the bounce.

When Paisley took over from Shanks, Shanks used to come to training and the players called him boss. Paisley ended up making sure Shanks had to stay away from the ground.

It is exactly what I would do now if I was the new fella

WatWatWat
08-05-13, 11:36
I've heard Steve Staunton's name being said. So i did. . Banana skin.

Jericho
08-05-13, 11:36
I was speaking to someone in the office and how we both rated him (the exact template Rodgers said he wasnt at our place)

Have to say though, i think they will want a 'name', and due to the English arrogance towards the German league, it won't be Klopp.

Though I think he could be the best man for the job

Which would be a pity as I think Klopp did one hell of a job with Dortmund.

very shy guy
08-05-13, 11:39

Pmsl,having seen what happened when sir Matt moved upstairs the same could happen now,though if it is Moyes he has a strong enough character to weather the storm.

very shy guy
08-05-13, 11:42
And there you have the problem with his staying in the background...you are already mentioning him coming back, and let's face it, the fans will call for it if they lose two games on the bounce.

When Paisley took over from Shanks, Shanks used to come to training and the players called him boss. Paisley ended up making sure Shanks had to stay away from the ground.

True ,as there can be only one boss,as for Fergie,he took a slumbering giant that was going nowhere and turned them into winners,as a fan,thanks for some wonderful memories sir Alex.

Usernamed
08-05-13, 11:43

I was only joking really. He'll be in the background and he'll just hang around there for a year or two. Idiots will call from the new guy to get booted out as soon as there's a few games dropped, in reality, whoever gets the job is going to need at least a season or two to get settled into the job. Taking over someone else's squad is going to be hard work. There's a few names that need to be moved on and hopefully a few taken in to replace them. Interesting times ahead at the Theatre Of Dreams.

Martin Ward
08-05-13, 11:44
I am looking forward to Moyes going there and Everton falling down the league :D

very shy guy
08-05-13, 11:50
I am looking forward to Moyes going there and Everton falling down the league :D

Nasty Martin,who know's,a rich Arab could take them over and they could do a City.

Martin Ward
08-05-13, 11:51
Nasty Martin,who know's,a rich Arab could take them over and they could do a City.

Yes, without a stadium or chances of development in that current location that won't be happening :D

ryder
08-05-13, 12:20
I've just sold all my shares in Wrigleys .

Jaygoodtimes
08-05-13, 12:44
Dont think Mourinho will get it, they want longevity and loyalty and Jose doesnt tick the box. Moyes yes he is loyal, great manager, achieves expectations with little or no budget. In my opinion he deserves it. And then Martinez to Everton.

But the main thing out of all of this, we will finally get a fair premier league next season...hopefully !

TomEA
08-05-13, 13:18
I was only joking really. He'll be in the background and he'll just hang around there for a year or two. Idiots will call from the new guy to get booted out as soon as there's a few games dropped, in reality, whoever gets the job is going to need at least a season or two to get settled into the job. Taking over someone else's squad is going to be hard work. There's a few names that need to be moved on and hopefully a few taken in to replace them. Interesting times ahead at the Theatre Of Dreams.

Rooney has been heavily linked to Bayern, a lot of interest surrounding Nani and Hernandez.

cj123
08-05-13, 13:23
Lots of interesting speculation today. From what i have read the following is happening-
Moyes to Utd
Jose to Chelski
Martinez to Everton
Wenger to PSG
Anncelotti to Real

How much of that is true only god knows.......

Jaygoodtimes
08-05-13, 13:27
Lots of interesting speculation today. From what i have read the following is happening-
Moyes to Utd
Jose to Chelski
Martinez to Everton
Wenger to PSG
Anncelotti to Real

Thats alot of managerial changes for such a short space of time, they all seem very real switches though..Id feel very sad if Wenger left us, I think he deserves a champions league medal.

TomEA
08-05-13, 13:30
Thats alot of managerial changes for such a short space of time, they all seem very real switches though..Id feel very sad if Wenger left us, I think he deserves a champions league medal.

I doubt he will go this summer, he has the money to play around with this summer. Hopefully with a couple of players here and there to solidify the team, more so a strong defensive mid.

Martin Ward
08-05-13, 13:32

He can go and ask his French compatriot Djimi Traore if he can have a look at his :)

Usernamed
08-05-13, 13:38
Rooney has been heavily linked to Bayern, a lot of interest surrounding Nani and Hernandez.

Nani can go, he's been brutal nearly all season. If Rooney does go I hope Hernandez stays, he's a great player and could do well if he got more game time. I'm not so sure Rooney will go, but who knows?

TomEA
08-05-13, 13:39
Nani can go, he's been brutal nearly all season. If Rooney does go I hope Hernandez stays, he's a great player and could do well if he got more game time. I'm not so sure Rooney will go, but who knows?

Something tells me Rooneys definitelly a goner.

cj123
08-05-13, 13:44
Yeah I think Rooneys time maybe up
lewandowski and rvp up front?

Jaygoodtimes
08-05-13, 13:44
howard webb is 1000/1 on oddschecker.com haha

Clyde
08-05-13, 14:36
Moyes to Utd
Jose to Chelski
Martinez to Everton
Wenger to PSG
Anncelotti to Real

Interesting bud........

aml
08-05-13, 14:54

Thank fuck :)

Lara Mills
08-05-13, 15:09
For those interested:

Ten things you might not know about Fergie (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22449415)

rimmerguy
08-05-13, 20:28

According to Bobby Charlton , Fergie was never going to get the sack regardless of the result . Quite simply Matt Busby liked and believed in what Fergie was doing . Saw that in an interview a few yrs ago , and i have been searching for it on the tube and can't find it .

jay67
08-05-13, 20:51
As much as i dislike the auld bluenose bollix, i have the utmost respect for him as a manager, for all hes won and not just at man utd at aberdeen too. Good luck to him in his retirement.

..... Could this see a shift in power among the clubs?? I think david moyes is a very good manager but, what has he won?? I see jose as the only choice... Not that i care who they get. Id go for staunton Like watwat said, he'd "give it a right bash" :D

Jay67

jay67
08-05-13, 21:24

jay67

dob
08-05-13, 21:49
Soccer is gone to pot, only the rich can succeed. Back in the seventies derby county notts forest and Leeds united won the league. wolves burley spurs and Ipswich all won the league between 1959 to 1962. Also villa 1981 and Blackburn rovers 1995.
Who can win it now?

The American sports seem to have a system that spreads success more evenly, but not sure how it could be transferred to the beautiful game.

very shy guy
08-05-13, 22:23
Soccer is gone to pot, only the rich can succeed. Back in the seventies derby county notts forest and Leeds united won the league. wolves burley spurs and Ipswich all won the league between 1959 to 1962. Also villa 1981 and Blackburn rovers 1995.
Who can win it now?

The American sports seem to have a system that spreads success more evenly, but not sure how it could be transferred to the beautiful game.

And the minnow's often got the better of their better off counter parts Dob,there was a pride in a player playing for a club,mostly mercenaries now.

westcorklad
09-05-13, 18:36
And the minnow's often got the better of their better off counter parts Dob,there was a pride in a player playing for a club,mostly mercenaries now.

Also Ipswich Watford and Southampton all finished as runners up in the 80s.That would be impossible in this era.A sad reflection of how much the game has changed since then.

very shy guy
09-05-13, 21:16
Also Ipswich Watford and Southampton all finished as runners up in the 80s.That would be impossible in this era.A sad reflection of how much the game has changed since then.

More is the pity,all about money now,gone crazy.

Curious k
11-05-13, 22:17
never got to win the European Cup for the third time which he craved so much like sir bob Who the fuck is Sir Bob??

benin
11-05-13, 22:48
Who the fuck is Sir Bob??

old pool manager back when they were a big club,anyone under 40 won't really remember that :D

very shy guy
12-05-13, 04:02
old pool manager back when they were a big club,anyone under 40 won't really remember that :D

Naughty kitty,Sir Bob Paisley,great manager of Liverpool.

Clyde
12-05-13, 06:34

It all started when United started to pay big money for players as they were the ones could afford it and buying the league then Blackburn joined in it should have been stopped back then. I loved Chelsea back then great players and no Billionare in control but to compete with united who would pay anything for players the bigger money followed. Now in fairness to Fergie he did bring a lot of players in with the youth squad.

Curious k
12-05-13, 08:55

And this Bob guy was knighted by the Queen? That's quite an achievement

pleasurekerry
12-05-13, 12:36

...i guess you will be watching later on; the Great fella is going to say a few word seemingly