PDA

View Full Version : Different sex workers rights organisations in Ireland - why?

gamey27
24-01-13, 16:02
Just a query regarding the number of different organisations/websites involved in sex workers rights here in Ireland.

Afaik, there's 4

1. Turn off the Blue Light
2. Sexwork.ie
3. Sex Workers Alliance Ireland.
4. Sex Workers Collective (currently in the process of being set up).

Why are there 4 different organisations for such a small population?

And to be honest, alot of the activity seems to originate on EI forums!

I understand that SWCI is being supported by ECP in UK, so that explains that I suppose. But what about the rest.

It just seems that there might be more success if efforts were combined? Or is there something I'm missing? Do the different organisations disagree with each other?

Thanks

LaBelleThatcher
24-01-13, 20:17
Turn Off the Blue Light is now defunct.
Sexworkie is basically the E-I's campaign against Swedish Model, NOT an organisation.
SWAI was a monument to one woman's autocracy and ambition that excluded sex workers and didn't let anyone else make any actual decisions as such either.
SWCI does have the backing of ECP, but until it is up and running cannot be evaluated at all. My big concern is that it is being conducted so clandestinely, without general consultation, which suggests it may become a private club for some sex workers that excludes the majority and their needs.

gamey27
24-01-13, 21:04
Thanks LBT, that has cleared it up for me.

Seems a shame TOBL is defunct but hopefully SWCI will be good