Thread: Prostitution theme in today's examiner

Reviews

Post Prostitution theme in today's examiner

Four prostitution stories in the examiner today,
    Front page trafficking, linked earlier, big centre spread about it in belo Horizonte Brazil,
    Big splash on the arrests in Donegal, with photos if all arrested
    And this one
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...us-272810.html
    Law reform ‘will make prostitution more dangerous’

Saturday, June 21, 2014

By Eoin English
    Irish Examiner Reporter
    A sex worker has claimed that proposed reforms to Ireland’s laws on prostitution will make the industry even more dangerous for women.

“Criminalising any aspect of this industry could make it more dangerous,” Lady Grew said.

“We feel that sex work must be seen as legitimate work, and that criminalising any aspect of the industry creates a much more dangerous environment for all involved.”

She will outline her argument at Cork’s first Sexual Wellness conference this weekend.

Cork Feminista had invited speakers from the Turn Off the Red Light Campaign (TORLC) which aims to end prostitution, to address their conference. Beginning at 11am today and tomorrow, it will be held in Camden Palace Hotel.

Lady Grew, however, asked the organisers to include speakers from the sex trade to provide balance and she and two other sex workers were added to the bill.

But the move prompted the TORLC speakers to withdraw from the conference.

Lady Grew said: “The way I work is not against the law. I have to work alone, which is dangerous for me. I can’t pay a bodyguard, which is dangerous for me.

“We need more transparency in this industry; more interaction with the authorities, the various agencies and with gardaí; and less stigma.

“People have a moral issue with this business. But for me, it’s work that suits me best.

“Do people get involved out of desperation? We all work for money. Does that mean we are all desperate? This work suits me very, very well.

“It has low overheads, and high profit margins. And I enjoy it really, really, greatly.”

However, Ruhama, an organisation which supports women who have been prostituted or trafficked, said the sex trade is inherently dangerous and attached to criminality.

Its CEO, Sarah Benson said courageous “survivors of prostitution” are increasingly highlighting the harm, dangers and risks associated with the industry.

“The suggestion that legalising it will make it safer is an absolute fallacy,” she said.

Dutch and German reports into the legalisation of the industry in their countries have shown their efforts to create a regulated system have failed, she said.

“There has actually been an explosion in the sex trade; an increase in the numbers of people and minors trafficked; a reduction in the control and autonomy for those involved, and an increase in the control and autonomy for those who run the business — the pimps,” she said.

Last year, the Oireachtas Justice Committee unanimously issued recommendations to reform Ireland’s laws on prostitution, including maker the buyer of sex a criminal, and supporting services for those who wish to exit prostitution.

The Lower House of the French Parliament, along with Canada and Northern Ireland, are well advanced on adopting similar approaches.

But a week before the first anniversary of the committee’s report, the Irish Government has yet to act on the reform proposals.

Ms Benson urged Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald to act on them soon, and to adopt the so-called Nordic approach, which criminalises the buyer, and provides supports to those involved or affected by prostitution.

facebook.com/corkfeminista/

twitter.com/corkfeminista/

corkfeminista.wordpress.com

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

Torl not interested in other views and will not entertain debate with anyone who disagrees with them. That's because in any balanced debate on this issue they always come out second best

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dob For This Useful Post:

JMastodon (22-06-14), Morpheus (24-06-14), patbuck9999 (22-06-14), Paul Carr (22-06-14), Stephanie (21-06-14), the traveller (21-06-14)

Reviews

''Lady Grew, however, asked the organisers to include speakers from the sex trade to provide balance and she and two other sex workers were added to the bill.
    But the move prompted the TORLC speakers to withdraw from the conference.''

Debate is clearly something to be feared in certain quarters.
    2014 in Northern Ireland:

Number of reported attacks on sex workers 70

Number of sex trafficking cases ZERO

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davidontour For This Useful Post:

Paul Carr (22-06-14), Stephanie (21-06-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Davidontour View Post
    ''Lady Grew, however, asked the organisers to include speakers from the sex trade to provide balance and she and two other sex workers were added to the bill.
    But the move prompted the TORLC speakers to withdraw from the conference.''

Debate is clearly something to be feared in certain quarters.
    pompous opinion pieces in helpful newspapers are more there thing

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dob For This Useful Post:

Davidontour (21-06-14), Paul Carr (22-06-14), Stephanie (21-06-14)

This sounds an awful lot like the "war on drugs", an unwinnable battle that does little more than waste public funds. I once lived in a relatively strict Muslim country and there was a far greater understanding and tolerance of the sex industry there than here, the sooner the hypocrisy and hangups of good Catholic Ireland are left behind the better.

I only recently came to this site and it was a big surprise, a clean and professional image far removed from the sleazy air many associate with the sex industry and there's a clear web of trust forming that's a far stronger defence against undesirable aspects such as pimping and human trafficking than anything the legal system is capable of. The progress of technology has provided the tools to detect and alienate some truly evil people and they can be targeted by the full force of the law by establishing trust between the industry and the authorities, driving the industry underground negates that progress and can only serve to empower the criminal element.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (22-06-14), Davidontour (21-06-14), JMastodon (22-06-14), Paul Carr (22-06-14)

Reviews

"Lady Grew, however, asked the organisers to include speakers from the sex trade to provide balance and she and two other sex workers were added to the bill. But the move prompted the TORLC speakers to withdraw from the conference."

Typical response from TORL, the minute they're faced with facts and the truth they run with their tail between their legs!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JMastodon For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (22-06-14), Paul Carr (22-06-14)

Quote Originally Posted by JMastodon View Post
    "Lady Grew, however, asked the organisers to include speakers from the sex trade to provide balance and she and two other sex workers were added to the bill. But the move prompted the TORLC speakers to withdraw from the conference."

Typical response from TORL, the minute they're faced with facts and the truth they run with their tail between their legs!
    Yes, the good thing there is when they run from public debate it seriously discredits their arguments. Not that they have much of an argument to begin with, its probably only folks still living in the last century that don't realise the real issue here is TORLC's members internal conflict between puritan values and sexual frustration.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (22-06-14), JMastodon (22-06-14), Paul Carr (22-06-14)